Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Am I a dinosaur/out of touch/or offensive?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
There is literally no ‘outrage’ from any poster on this thread. Not a single one. And nobody as far as I’ve seen has suggested that he meant any ‘malice’ - only that his was ill-advised to use such an analogy, and ought to have seen the reaction coming.

And the OP is the one who brought his daughter into the discussion.

:shrug:

I am not sure he did

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
I am glad I don't know you then, jebus.....

what a sweeping generalisation about thousands of people who do extremely good and important work (including the vulnerable/in care/homeless) for the for the council.

You need to look at yourself and ask why you still find that funny
1: your laughing with the general at the story. - you have a problem.
2: your now laughing at how absurd and rascally stupid the general was -- i am still not sure it is funny or ever was to be honest, it is actually sad.

Bet the evenings fly by round at your gaff?
And it was the Major by the way..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I am not sure he did

Well, whether you are sure, or not, the fact remains that he did. In post #10

To be fair Thunderbolt, its a broad church on here, incidentally my 27 year old daughter said that it was out of order and I am out of touch.

Nothing wrong with that, and fair play to her for putting her Dad straight.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Well, whether you are sure, or not, the fact remains that he did. In post #10

Nothing wrong with that, and fair play to her for putting her Dad straight.

Fair enough Hans

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
These days? Hmmm, yeah maybe it is offensive. Maybe. But she should have done what any normal person would have done;

Inwardly be offended for a few minutes then carry on with her day.

I’ve always thought the Nazis were a very British subject to have a bit of a laugh about. Right my or wrongly, we have always had a bit of a laugh about old Bossy One Bollock. Long may it continue.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I’m not sure what is to be gained from this post. The Argus (Worthing edition) who have stitched up the OP and his family with very minor an almost irrelevant ‘front page story ‘ recently - regarding a door security incident , will almost certainly be aware and will be considering to publish a page 7 exclusive.
Perhaps the idea is for the tabloids to pick up the Nazi - Love Island connection. Who knows

Piss off, Timmy.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I am not suggesting we should repeat everything from the past, but comments like this? Yes we can, we just need to defend our position and not be cowed (sp) by others intolerance.

'cowed' is correct. 'others' isn't. But well done for caring. :thumbsup:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Stone me. This is about as complicated as putting shoes on the right way around.

Say what you want to your bezzies but if speaking to someone for the first time, speak to them as if they was a vicar. Unless you are our prime minister, in which case forget everything I just said and say anything you want you tanktop wearing bumboy.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
These days? Hmmm, yeah maybe it is offensive. Maybe. But she should have done what any normal person would have done;

Inwardly be offended for a few minutes then carry on with her day.

I’ve always thought the Nazis were a very British subject to have a bit of a laugh about. Right my or wrongly, we have always had a bit of a laugh about old Bossy One Bollock. Long may it continue.

I seem to agree with all you say nowadays which is a worry for me, lol

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I was going to point out that all we have is the OP's assertion it was a quip and that it was "somewhat tongue in cheek", and a few people seem to take that as a sign it was a, ahem, clear and obvious joke. But we also have a the OP talking about the "adopted not one shred of common-sense or flexibility" suggesting the interaction was a little irritating, and perhaps this 'quip' was delivered with a harry hill-like jovial glee, or a giggling 'I'm being so funny I can't stop laughing at my own jokes' way akin to Jimmy Fallon. Seems to me, it is more likely the 'quip' was a frustrated sarcastic aside that came at the end of a less-than-friendly exchange, making it far from obvious it was 'just a joke' (especially as it is described as a 'quip' rather than a 'joke').

But rather than trying to second guess the delivery and obviousness of the joking, I think this comment is more relevant.

What a ****ing weird thing to say :lolol:

"No hard feelings, I know you were just doing what you were told......like a Nazi"

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
21 pages in and [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION] has not started the parody thread on behalf of the Worthing council worker.

Standards are slipping round here.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Not read all the pages.
It's a dodgy one as it can be offensive, but the mistake you made was saying it to an organisation such as a council, they can get the dogs abuse through different departments and the staff go through all sorts of training on this sort of thing, you have to be very carefull.
Another example is a bank ( you are the customer)
Without any raised voices or swearing.
"Can I help you with anything else sir"
"Yes, can you please explain why your service is so appalling and why does it take 6 working days to clear a business cheque"
You will get a snotty reply and reminded that any abusive language can result in your account being closed and the police may be called"
You can't say anything these days.
Bloody Nazis the lot of em!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Had an issue with Worthing Borough Council about some funeral related paperwork, a 20 something office person came on the phone and suggested a way forward that adopted not one shred of common-sense or flexibility.

Eventually they came round to our way of thinking but as an aside I spoke to the young lady and said there would be no hard feelings, and somewhat tongue in cheek, stated because like the Nazis she was only acting under orders.
Maybe, having come round to your way of thinking, she realised she (they) were in the wrong, which put her on the defensive. When you then compared her to the Nazis, perhaps instead of realising you were just mucking about, she actually thought you were genuinely comparing her to the Nazis. That would indeed be offensive.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It’s a nothing comment and come across 10 times worse than that daily - Which I still personally don’t find offensive. I really don’t get this PC gone lad stance by some. People need to find their sense of humours again...

Now, is my ‘I think Jimmy Saville isn’t 100% guilty cos he’s not here to defend himself’ quip too much? :lol:
* I will add this may come across wrong on the internet - but you do have to choose your audience well with these sorts of things - ie not the easily offended.

I’ll also point out NSC isn’t the place to ask these questions Harty as it’s easy to take the moral high ground on the internet, when in reality, spend an hour in a pub and you’ll hear far more potentially ‘offensive’ stuff...!

I genuinely wonder if anyone who actually finds this offensive has ever been to any sort of stand up comedy?! They’re either ultra sensitive or are lying to themselves and trying to act holier than thou. You will find jokes so so so much worse than that quip at most stand up shows!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here