Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Always the victim, it's never your fault', a chant too far?

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
Regularly sung in the North stand @ The Goldstone circa late 70s and 80's. Not right, but still done. So when will ours "come around" ?

Sung long before Hillsborough, too. Twitter is doing it's best with highlighting the number of Liverpool fans still going on about Munich, even now -- with photos of banners and chants. Some mindless idiots will never change.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Liverpool's two main rivals had the chance to show their class this weekend.

I think the results speak for themselves.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing

Agreed, but it also continues to highlight how a minority of utter bell ends follow both Liverpool and Man Utd. Anyone who thinks that cub rivalry warrants songs about tragic deaths is f***ing disgraceful full stop.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012

You speak like all United supporters are like this. It was a small minority of the crowd that sang that song. Lest you forget, Liverpool supporters are still, to this very day after the Hillsborough papers were released, going on about Munich. Does that mean Liverpool lack class, too? Just this week a Liverpool fan tweeted "The only people that didn't deserve to return home after a football match were the bastards that died in the Munich air Miracle #JFT96". Is this representative of all Liverpool supporters?

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
You speak like all United supporters are like this. It was a small minority of the crowd that sang that song. Lest you forget, Liverpool supporters are still, to this very day after the Hillsborough papers were released, going on about Munich. Does that mean Liverpool lack class, too? Just this week a Liverpool fan tweeted "The only people that didn't deserve to return home after a football match were the bastards that died in the Munich air Miracle #JFT96". Is this representative of all Liverpool supporters?

It's not a competition as to who's worst. You speak like it's impossible to criticise Utd fans? It was a sizeable number of people.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
What I do think is ironic is that on this thread we have [MENTION=7631]wellquickwoody[/MENTION] calling others out becaus ethey didnt quote him something specific from one of the 450k documents that the panel reviewed when on the other Hillsborough thread he accused me of being abusive to him but failed to quote any abusive comments I had made in my 10 or so posts.

As others have said, clearly those with their 'opinions' aren't all going to change them despite the evidence provided. But given the repeated crud quoted by those as their 'opinions' you can understand why those affected by Hillborough do keep on about it.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
It's not a competition as to who's worst. You speak like it's impossible to criticise Utd fans? It was a sizeable number of people.

My reply was in response to one that said out of United and Everton, one had more class than the other. I merely pointed out that a minority of supporters doing idiotic things is ≠ having more class than another. At the same time making reference to Liverpool fans calling an end to sick chants from United, whilst some of theirs still sing about Munich.

Anyway, as is always mentioned, every club has a selection of idiotic fans that live with the old mob mentality and will push the boundaries for what is an acceptable chant and what is not. Some would argue that the 'stand up if you hate palace' chant is too much, some would call it rival banter. There is a limit, but that limit is often different from one person to the next. Mocking the dead, however, is a step too far and you would hope next generation will have a different mentality, but all the time you're having faeces and golfballs with nails hammered into them thrown at you on away days, I don't think there will be any love lost between rivals and no inclination to want to be the first to make a change.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
My reply was in response to one that said out of United and Everton, one had more class than the other. I merely pointed out that a minority of supporters doing idiotic things is ≠ having more class than another. At the same time making reference to Liverpool fans calling an end to sick chants from United, whilst some of theirs still sing about Munich.

Anyway, as is always mentioned, every club has a selection of idiotic fans that live with the old mob mentality and will push the boundaries for what is an acceptable chant and what is not. Some would argue that the 'stand up if you hate palace' chant is too much, some would call it rival banter. There is a limit, but that limit is often different from one person to the next. Mocking the dead, however, is a step too far and you would hope next generation will have a different mentality, but all the time you're having faeces and golfballs with nails hammered into them thrown at you on away days, I don't think there will be any love lost between rivals and no inclination to want to be the first to make a change.

The problem is, this isn't really the time to point scoring with Liverpool about this. At the moment, it's raw and fresh and there should be respect for that.

Your post above is littered with side swipes and excuses for Utd fand behaviour. Now is not the time.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Kev, if it had been 96 Brighton fans killed at the match, some of whom were your friends or relatives, and Albion fans had been blamed by the police, the politicians and the fourth estate for the death of your fellow fans, do you think we would have 'moved on' until we had cleared the name of Albion fans, and identified those who had not just lied, but whose decisions had directly contributed to their death?

This.

Unreal attitude from some people.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
which west ham player was abused from the north stand,stab stab stab everytime he touched the ball,think he had been in the paper week before,had a row with the mrs(if i remember rightlty)

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I don't think there's anyone trying to argue that the fans were to blame. I just find it annoying that we're not allowed to acknowledge that some of those fans outside played their part in a chain reaction of events that lead up to the disaster, even if it's a tiny proportion compared to the police incompetence and badly designed stadium (which it is) it still exists.

All I want is both sides to come out with a bit of balance to their opinion, in the last 20 years we've gone from the SYP trying to make out that the Liverpool fans were rampaging animals to the jf96 campaign suggesting they were all as docile as hindu cows and the nasty police forced them to walk to their deaths. In both cases the mass media and politicians of the time backed the idea for their own gain.

To me it's all a bit hypocritical.

But there was absolutely no need for a chain reaction of events. You've answered your own point - it was police incompetence. A properly managed event would have avoided this. You're focusing your attention on the wrong people.

Sorry if you find this so unpalatable - but the balance that you ask for has already emerged in two independent reports which said pretty much the same thing, 23 years apart.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
which west ham player was abused from the north stand,stab stab stab everytime he touched the ball,think he had been in the paper week before,had a row with the mrs(if i remember rightlty)

Was one that was stabbed by his sister BF

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here