Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Already queues at the the pumps

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Tooting Gull said:

On a sort of back-of-an-envelope stylee calculation, I reckon if you drive a reasonble amount you're probably paying at least £3-4,000 a year MORE here than a Yank for similar mileage . That is a hell of a lot of money, almost lifestyle changing (holidays etc) on a small scale.

You must drive a hell of a lot of miles or be really bad at maths.

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
HampshireSeagulls said:
So, the Mail reports queues at pumps, the retailers say "what queues?" It's quiet, there is no panic, and it's down to sections of the media trying to generate their own story. Knobbers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4236676.stm

ahoy shippers. its f***ing stupid in brum, qqqqqqqqqqqqqqq's at every petrol station. all the brummie prats are panic buying. i have enough for the next couple of days so i might get some tomorrow (i hope :D ).

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Voroshilov said:

You really are the most painful, politically correct bore on this site. By all means foist your extreme left-wing views on here, even if you have never tolerated other points of view yourself.

But expect to be challenged in areas where you don't know what you're talking about. You merely expose your ignorance.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
hampden park said:
ahoy shippers. its f***ing stupid in brum, qqqqqqqqqqqqqqq's at every petrol station. all the brummie prats are panic buying. i have enough for the next couple of days so i might get some tomorrow (i hope :D ).

Garages quiet down here. Must be all the Brummies queuing up to get their socket sets - 10 free with every £6 spent on fuel...!

Personally, I have a whole MT Depot. Anybody want to buy Diesel? I could probably get you Avcat at a push......

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
HampshireSeagulls said:
Garages quiet down here. Must be all the Brummies queuing up to get their socket sets - 10 free with every £6 spent on fuel...!

Personally, I have a whole MT Depot. Anybody want to buy Diesel? I could probably get you Avcat at a push......

whats the avcat going for these days????

otto fuel?????:lolol:

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Voroshilov said:

When you drive one of these, the f***ing costs mount up. You want to see my Mastercard bill just for ammo.....

humvee.jpg

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
hampden park said:
whats the avcat going for these days????

otto fuel?????:lolol:

I can get you otto. Have you got a big enough pond to fly them in?

Avcat - do you want engine quality or drinking quality?:drink:

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Tooting Gull said:
You really are the most painful, politically correct bore on this site. By all means foist your extreme left-wing views on here, even if you have never tolerated other points of view yourself.

But expect to be challenged in areas where you don't know what you're talking about. You merely expose your ignorance.

That's a bit of a bizarre personal attack. My post has nothing to do with my political views and everything to do with your assertion that someone doing a reasonable amount of mileage could save £3-4k a year.

Here's my back of a fag packet calc.

Annual mileage of say 15000 (This is above the national average).

Say you get 35mpg so thats 428 gallons, which is about 1950 litres

US petrol prices are in the region of 60p a litre cheaper than UK, so thats a saving of approx £1,200, which still goes a long way towards a good holiday.

So you either a) drive a hell of a lot of miles, or b) have a very thirsty car.

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
HampshireSeagulls said:
I can get you otto. Have you got a big enough pond to fly them in?

Avcat - do you want engine quality or drinking quality?:drink:

trade for 2 gallons of ormig juice (orange juice included) ;)

Re: Re: Already queues at the the pumps

HampshireSeagulls said:
The panic buying scenario is driven by a certain area of society who like to elevate this sort of event into a national crisis, but if I mention them London Irish will think I have a vendetta against them!

Hey, I think 80 per cent of hacks are prostitutes and morons :lolol:

It only worries me a bit when you have a pop at the other 20 per cent :)

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Re: Re: Re: Already queues at the the pumps

London Irish said:
Hey, I think 80 per cent of hacks are prostitutes and morons :lolol:

It only worries me a bit when you have a pop at the other 20 per cent :)

Wondered when the "media" radar would kick back in with LI! Afternoon mate..!

Not all journos are crap, it's just that some of them more than make up for the pros out there. I do try and turn my media filter off sometimes, but I get overwhelmed by the shite that masquerades as news, especially when it is produced so transparently for the purpose of circulation building or cheap sensationalism. I do try not to launch everytime, and I promise I will try harder in future. Just keep me away from the Mail, Sun, Sport, .......

:D

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Tooting Gull said:

On a sort of back-of-an-envelope stylee calculation, I reckon if you drive a reasonble amount you're probably paying at least £3-4,000 a year MORE here than a Yank for similar mileage . That is a hell of a lot of money, almost lifestyle changing (holidays etc) on a small scale.

Regardless of your politics, that is a scandal.

It's not true to say that whatever your politics that it's a scandal. The US has a low-tax and low public expenditure policy; the punters get cheaper gas, on the other hand, they get a lousy health service and a flooded New Orleans.

In the UK, we have moderate public expenditure and fund it with high indirect taxation, which is why petrol prices are relatively higher. On the other hand, we have low income tax. On mainland Europe, income tax tends to be higher, but duty on booze and petrol tends to be lower.

That's why it's meaningless to talk about the price of petrol without putting it into context.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Voroshilov said:
That's a bit of a bizarre personal attack. My post has nothing to do with my political views and everything to do with your assertion that someone doing a reasonable amount of mileage could save £3-4k a year.

Here's my back of a fag packet calc.

Annual mileage of say 15000 (This is above the national average).

Say you get 35mpg so thats 428 gallons, which is about 1950 litres

US petrol prices are in the region of 60p a litre cheaper than UK, so thats a saving of approx £1,200, which still goes a long way towards a good holiday.

So you either a) drive a hell of a lot of miles, or b) have a very thirsty car.

My reaction is born of your 'form' on these issues - where you tend to lump anyone with a valid point at odds with your own in with the racists and right-wing reactionaries.

In my original post I wasn't talking about average mileage, but people who drive to a greater or lesser extent for a living, or commute by car. I do around 20,000 miles a year just getting to work, others on here must do more.

The figure of 25,000 miles probably would give you £3,000. 30,000 probably nearer £4,000.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Tooting Gull said:
My reaction is born of your 'form' on these issues - where you tend to lump anyone with a valid point at odds with your own in with the racists and right-wing reactionaries.

But only if they're making racist or reactionary statements.

Tooting Gull said:
In my original post I wasn't talking about average mileage, but people who drive to a greater or lesser extent for a living, or commute by car. I do around 20,000 miles a year just getting to work, others on here must do more.

But is that reasonable mileage? I guess for you that is, but just because you choose to commute so far to work that doesn't make it typical. of course it's not really that unusual either. I work with someone who has been commuting nearly 90 miles each way for five years.

The figure of 25,000 miles probably would give you £3,000. 30,000 probably nearer £4,000. [/QUOTE]

I still think your figures are an overestimate , but the point is valid we do pay a hell of a lot in tax on petrol.

Last edited:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Simster said:
I'd have no problem with paying lots for my petrol if the money raised was directed into public transport, yet for forty years, successive governments have diverted petrol tax elsewhere.

I'd be happy for petrol to be £2 a litre if we had better public transport, theres too many fat lazy bastards out there driving hideously uneconiomic cars that are totally unnecessary.

despite the fact I have a company car as part of my job I could easily cycle/scooter/train or bus to work.

reduce the amount of cars on the road, improve public transport and make the country a sager better place for all.

especially those of us who like to go for a good drive on a SUnday :rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here