Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Almunia anyone?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I see Almunia is leaving Arsenal this summer but says he wants to stay playing in England. The ideal candidate for Albion.................?

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Would love to see him at the club but realistically the wages would probably rule him out (or impact on other potential outfield signings, which is probably worse). Shame really!

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I see Almunia is leaving Arsenal this summer but says he wants to stay playing in England. The ideal candidate for Albion.................?

I'm not the smartest kid on the block but didn't he go through a horrendous spell with Arsenal - Not arguing on the basis that he would certainly be better than --- etc

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Agreed (he was after all reported to be on £74K a week at Arsenal which is why there were no takers to loan him out) but if he wants to stay here and wants to put himself back in the shop window (he is only 34) he might play for very little - better to do one season as (pretty much) guaranteed first choice in a Championship side likely to be in the media spotlight than to be number two or three for a Premier League side. Not an easy deal to do and wouldn't be able to be made until he was sure there were no other takers offering mega-bucks but a return to Spanish-speaking management after a rough time and pretty appalling treatment under Wenger and he might just be tempted :lol:

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
I'm not the smartest kid on the block but didn't he go through a horrendous spell with Arsenal - Not arguing on the basis that he would certainly be better than --- etc

I have watched a lot of Arsenal games over recent years due to family up there and yes he made a LOT of blunders. I don't consider us to be a financial powerhouse in the Championship and bearing in mind he's probably on around 50-60k a week, he is WELL out of our price range even if he drops his wages by two thirds!

Edit: 74k? Eye watering

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I have watched a lot of Arsenal games over recent years due to family up there and yes he made a LOT of blunders. I don't consider us to be a financial powerhouse in the Championship and bearing in mind he's probably on around 50-60k a week, he is WELL out of our price range even if he drops his wages by two thirds!

Edit: 74k? Eye watering

If it's true about him wanting to stay in England then I think he'll have to take quite a severe wage cut anyway, as I can't see many Prem clubs wanting him.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
If it's true about him wanting to stay in England then I think he'll have to take quite a severe wage cut anyway, as I can't see many Prem clubs wanting him.

I'd like to stay in England too but if a Russian chairman offered me 20k a week i'd be off like a shot

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Russian, Chinese, Qatari you know what I mean

probably true but after seeing the players that Donny* managed to attract (albeit not to perform) this season....................................

*still don't understand how players who most people would think were still capable of being squad members at worst in the EPL could be attracted to Donny in the first place........................... but then for them all to perform consistently like Sunday League players just beggars belief.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
probably true but after seeing the players that Donny* managed to attract (albeit not to perform) this season....................................

*still don't understand how players who most people would think were still capable of being squad members at worst in the EPL could be attracted to Donny in the first place........................... but then for them all to perform consistently like Sunday League players just beggars belief.
There was a deal between their agent Willie Mackay and the Doncaster chairmen for those transfers, for Doncaster to be a shop window for them. But I think it's showed that a lot of Prmier League players brought over from abroad aren't actually that good, one of the worst players I've seen this season spent quite a few years at various Premiership teams.

I'd take Almunia though.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
There was a deal between their agent Willie Mackay and the Doncaster chairmen for those transfers, for Doncaster to be a shop window for them. But I think it's showed that a lot of Prmier League players brought over from abroad aren't actually that good, one of the worst players I've seen this season spent quite a few years at various Premiership teams.

I'd take Almunia though.

Would you though? We have all seen how flappy he is, we have two of those already I can't see the point of breaking the bank to sign a keeper who would have me shitting myself anytime a ball came near the box just like Casper and Brez have done! In saying that I can't think of an alternative off the top of my head, but you know what I mean?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
A season long loan keeper from a top 4 Premier League club would be my preference. Wasn't the Watford keeper from Manchester United? I'd imagine we are an attractive proposition now to big clubs to loan players to.

I realise we have Gonzalez and was surprised he was given stick on his 1st game for us, but wasn't at the game so can't comment on what he is like but the fact that he is at Man City would suggest that he has SOME pedigree? Can anyone categorically state he is not up to it after just one game??

Can't believe that any Albion fan would seriously turn his nose up at Almunia through, HELLO, we are Brighton not some high flying Premier League team. Wages could be a massive problem though.

Last edited:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Would you though? We have all seen how flappy he is, we have two of those already I can't see the point of breaking the bank to sign a keeper who would have me shitting myself anytime a ball came near the box just like Casper and Brez have done! In saying that I can't think of an alternative off the top of my head, but you know what I mean?
This is a player who spent about three seasons as Arsenal's number one keeper, I think he's a bit better than Brezovan or Ankergren. I think people have unrealistic expectations of keepers sometimes, or maybe they're just easily panicked. I think Brezovan has been mostly fine since he came back into the team, but when he's been bad he's been very very bad. We just need someone more consistent I think.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here