Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

All time favourite Albion game

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Pompey 1-1 Albion 1986

23,000 when those sized crowds were very rare. Noel Blake scored an own goal for us when under pressure from uber-cart-horse, Mick Ferguson. :D

5 teams could have gone up that season, including both teams here. Whilst we missed out on the last day, at least we stopped Pompey going up.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Charlton 0 Brighton 3 ( malcolm Poskett hat-trick) Evening game.
palace 0 Brighton 2 ( Danny wilsons goal!!!)
Brighton 2 Sheff wed 1 - FA Cup Semi - mother of all headaches
Brighton 1 Bristol City 0 - Play Off Final

West Brom 0 Brighton 1 ( or 2) Peter ward talking WB apart ( 1975 ish in the league cup)

Brighton v Charlton 5-0 at home
Brighton 4 Newcastle 0 - Brian wade

Some great great memories.

Goodfella

North Stand Boy X320
Feb 9, 2004
Brighton
For me it is the FA Cup Semi-Final against Sheff Wed at Highbury

Baking hot day and that goal by Jimmy Case.

Getting home to Brighton getting off the train and never seen so many Albion fans dancing in the street before.all extremely inebriated, but absolutely NO trouble,

What a weekend.
:drink:

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Simster said:
That was the half time score wasn't it? It finished 7-0.

Or we talking about different games?

yes it was.....memory going...LOL

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Brighton 3 Palace 0, yes THAT boxing day, 'Team of the Eighties' outclassed.

Newcastle 1 Brighton 3, The promised land arrived and the day was made even better by all the Geordies celebrating Sunderland staying down, epic day.

Brighton 6 Mansfield 0, Yes Brighton came home that day !

There are countless others, too many to let me fall into the despondency and gloom and doom of so many here. I've seen the good and the bad and this is by no means the worst.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
When we beat Watford 4-1 in the our last home game of the season when Coppell so nearly pulled off the "Great Escape" and saved us from Championship relegation.

The moment that stands out for me was when we were leading 3-1 (I think) and Dave Beasant sent a goal kick straight into the crowd, which was followed by a huge spontaneous roar which signalled that the scum had scored against Stoke to keep us in with a chance of staying up, a chance we still had going into the last game. The chants of "Come on the scum" reverberating around Withdean are something I hadn't heard before or since.

Honourable mentions:

- Our home game against Derby in the same season. Absolutely pissing down, 0-0 in the dying moments after a fairly crap game and then Kerry Mayo pops up to score a late winner.

- Swindon, Play-Off Semi Final Second Leg. Wasn't there in person unfortunately, but I have never screamed at a TV screen so much in my life as I did when that goal went in.

- Play-Off Final: Shit game, great atmosphere, incredible occasion.

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
4-0 wasn't it, Fruity?

Great game. Am I right in thinking we sang "One nil! To the Palace Scum".

Was that also the game that Beasant teed the ball up on a cup that had blown on the pitch and did a belly flop dance when we scored our third?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I have to admit I am still gutted about missing the 2-1 Cup win at Anfield. Tye sad part about it was that the airline I worked for at the time was actually flying the team around (not British Caledonian) and I was offered the chance to fly up with the team for the game. Convinced that we would get hammered (which no doubt we would have if I had gone) I declined it.

Then when MotD (on a Sunday afternoon at that time) came on and announced one of the all time great cup shocks in history I literally didn't know whether to laugh or cry !

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
BarrelofFun said:
4-0 wasn't it, Fruity?

Great game. Am I right in thinking we sang "One nil! To the Palace Scum".

Was that also the game that Beasant teed the ball up on a cup that had blown on the pitch and did a belly flop dance when we scored our third?

May well have been 4-0, my memory isn't great.

Yes, we did sing that also, and I do have vague memories of Beasant doing something like that, so you're probably right there.

Great game though.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
H block said:
Albion v Rochdale 1972 1-1 34 000 and the first promotion I saw.

Wasn't there, but I have fond memories of being allowed to stay up on a school night and listen to the commentary on Radio Brighton.

I also have fond memories of Albion 7 York City 2 in 1977(?). Not only seven goals to cheer, but we got to relive them all as the match was on MOTD that night.

Albion Edd

Brighton til die
Jul 5, 2003
Patcham
Brighton 3-1 Reading was a great performance

Reading 1-2 Brighton, great win and great atmostphere, I really thought we would stay up after that

Brighton 6-0 Mansfield

Palace 0-1 Brighton

Swindon playoff 2nd leg, poor game, but amazing finish

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
Beating Pompey 4-0 after some biased sports coverage on southern TV. I remember their hoolies trying to take the North stand and getting soundly beaten :D

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
beating palarse away ast year was my faveourite match of all time and the atmosphere was mental, i also loved it at spurs in the fa cup 2 year back when we lost 2-1 but when chippy scored that free kick the place went mad and me and my mate almost fell off the top tier :lolol:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
london_seagull said:
beating palarse away ast year was my faveourite match of all time and the atmosphere was mental, i also loved it at spurs in the fa cup 2 year back when we lost 2-1 but when chippy scored that free kick the place went mad and me and my mate almost fell off the top tier :lolol:

:lolol: Were you holding hands? :jester:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
late 80s / possible early ninties at the Goldstone.

Night match, losing 0-1 to Pompy with about 2 mins left in the pissing rain ... and WON 2-1 :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

We NEVER do that!!

Plus, the BEST bit was Pompy's change strip was a kind of flourescent orange colour and everytime the lino looked up and glimpsed a crowd safety steward on the far side of the pitch he kept flagging the Pompy forwards offside :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
Trufflehound said:
Wasn't there, but I have fond memories of being allowed to stay up on a school night and listen to the commentary on Radio Brighton.

I also have fond memories of Albion 7 York City 2 in 1977(?). Not only seven goals to cheer, but we got to relive them all as the match was on MOTD that night.

missed that one as I was coming back from holiday that day.Beat Ipswich on the tuesday as well before 27 k in the league cup.Graham Cross got winner.Great days.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Albion absolutely MURDERING Premier League Leicester 1-0 in the League Cup in '94. The North Stand went utterly ballistic when Nogan scored.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here