Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

All this Adkins bashing is making us look MUGS

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Curses! Rumbled ....

Ok, my original comment was a bit tongue-in-cheek but in all seriousness I don't understand why the rivalry with Palace lasted as long as it did. We weren't rivals before the Mullery/Venables era and we have hardly played each other since. Certainly during the 'dark days' when we were bumping along at the bottom end of the fourth division and they were in the Premiership it DID make us look like sad mugs by claiming that we had a rivalry; it was like Stockport claiming they were rivals with Man U. Maybe now that we've got Falmex things might pick up, but also I think they could pick up with Southampton as we are both going to be similarly-sized clubs. And like I said we ARE actually promotion rivals this year, they've got a gobby twat for a manager and some lairy ex-players of ours. All ingredients for a proper rivalry - if they can keep up with us!

We changed our name due to the rivalry, I'd say that is quite deep.

A couple of seasons in the same division as a team that generally were well liked due to them hating Pompey as well won't mean a thing.

Outside the internet neither sets of fans is that bothered.

It's all a bit kiddish

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Managerial Stats - Nigel Adkins
234 games, 104 wins, 51 draws, 79 losses - 44.44% Win

Managerial Stats - Gus Poyet
87 games, 45 wins, 20 draws, 22 losses - 51.72% Win

Time to get the banners out and tell Adkins that he might be a good manager if he can keep up with Gus.

The jury's permanently out on those who care more about what others think of them and how they come across.

It's football - not a popularity contest.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
So a new manager came into a club and tried some gung-ho verbal tactics which have not worked. Saints have improved vastly since he took over and look likely to get promoted. He seems a fairly decent manager.

I think he knows he looks silly about the 'if they can keep up' comment. If he even remembers making it. I doubt he cares either way.

A throwaway tongue in cheek comment a few months back and everyone on here becomes obsessed with it.

No doubt something to do with the psyche of a football fan when, in the main, they are not happy unless they have something to be angry about. You only need to see how much more vocal Withdean gets when the ref messes up to see this.

Any hint of anti-Adkins banners etc for the Saints game, and all these Adkins-gloating threads, just makes us a look like the small club Saints seem to have us down for.

Time to get over it.

It's called making a rod for your own back. If he kept his mouth shut then it would soon die a death but he tried to use words to get at the Albion and motivate his players and it didn't work. As for him vastly improving them, how did you come to that conclusion. How many of the current players did he buy? Had it not been for the 10pt deduction last year then they would have been in the play-offs anyway. There may have been some improvement but hardly vast!!!

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Nasty Nigel has livened things up.
He will look a bit of a berk if his boys have to congratulate the Albion as Champions before the game at Withdean. By then all his psychic energy will be focussed on Posh and Hudders I guess.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here