Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

All this Adkins bashing is making us look MUGS

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
So a new manager came into a club and tried some gung-ho verbal tactics which have not worked. Saints have improved vastly since he took over and look likely to get promoted. He seems a fairly decent manager.

I think he knows he looks silly about the 'if they can keep up' comment. If he even remembers making it. I doubt he cares either way.

A throwaway tongue in cheek comment a few months back and everyone on here becomes obsessed with it.

No doubt something to do with the psyche of a football fan when, in the main, they are not happy unless they have something to be angry about. You only need to see how much more vocal Withdean gets when the ref messes up to see this.

Any hint of anti-Adkins banners etc for the Saints game, and all these Adkins-gloating threads, just makes us a look like the small club Saints seem to have us down for.

Time to get over it.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
why do you CARE about how we 'come across'

If you can't rip the PISS out of the leagues big boys when you are absolutely DESTROYING them then WHEN can you?

I assume you have NEVER chanted at a match against the opposition fans as they might think you look SILLY.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
why do you CARE about how we 'come across'

If you can't rip the PISS out of the leagues big boys when you are absolutely DESTROYING them then WHEN can you?

I assume you have NEVER chanted at a match against the opposition fans as they might think you look SILLY.

Of course I have. Banter at games is fun.

But it does make us look a bit sad that we seem so OBSESSED with Adkins and Southampton at a time when OUR team is so good. And as for the people who got on the Southampton Echo website...

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Banter at games is fun.

I would say this is banter.

The JOY of football is that it is discussed all week up to and after a game. There is as much banter outside of a match as there is IN.

I have no hatred against saints, I went to watch them a lot when I was there for Uni. BUT If Poyet had said the same thing about them then the fans would have been all over that.

It's a laugh, and for once its a bit of 'banter' which is not slanderous or harsh in anyway.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
Schadenfreude (pronounced /ˈʃɑːdənfrɔɪdə/, German pronunciation: [ˈʃaːdənˌfʁɔʏdə]) is pleasure derived from the misfortunes of others.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
we're flying at the top of the league, glenn murray has just banged in 20 goals, we've set a record for points in a month and a club record for most wins on the trott and what is dominating the first page? south-f***ing-hampton

im all for a bit of banter, but this is more like an OBSESSION on some peoples parts

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Adkins is a cock and has acted like a cock. It would be remiss of any self-respecting football fans to not take advantage of his visit to our home ground by reminding him oh-so-gently.

Big time? Small time? Who gives a toss what anyone else thinks?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
why so concerned? He has made a number of derogatory comments about us and clearly has done enough in trying to get under our skins to work against him and motivate us to do better. If that doesn't merit a little merriment at his expense then I don't know what does.

As to whether or not he is a good manager, I would have to say that is questionable. With the resources available to him he has created a very one-dimensional team with little ability to vary tactics. Add to that his attempts at amateur psychology and I would suggest that if you are looking for a mug you might do worse than take a peek in his direction rather than criticise your own.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Nah. I know you're looking for a binfest, but it's perfectly normal and even desirable the stick Adkins is getting.

His comment wasn't throwaway (in my view) it was a window into the arrogant thinking and assumption at Southampton, even in November, that they would win the league. That's fine to believe that, but it is better to keep it in-house.

Are Man Utd mugs for having digs at Liverpool, or their title rivals? Of course not. Southampton ARE rivals this season in a playing sense (or rather, they were).

We're not obsessed with Southampton. I have never given them a second thought before this season. But that's the point, this season they are a factor, and to be laughed at and had the piss well and truly ripped out of them. Then next season it's back to Palace. If they stay up.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
It's all part of the game bashing your rivals. We have been so far apart from Saints for so many seasons that it is a welcome relief to have a pop, well it is for me living in Hampshire.

Adkins has made a few pants comments and us football fans never forget incidents or quotes.

Make hay while sun shines, I certainly have been milking it in the shop this morning.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
It is banter and the "keep us with us" comment should be referred to every now and then as it is funny and Adkins should be reminded of it when we play them at Withdean. But calling Adkins all the names under the sun because of it, "hating" him, and going on about it after EVERY game since then has made it rather tiresome.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
we're flying at the top of the league, glenn murray has just banged in 20 goals, we've equaled a record for points in a month and a club record for most wins on the trott and what is dominating the first page? south-f***ing-hampton

im all for a bit of banter, but this is more like an OBSESSION on some peoples parts

Small correction, but otherwise spot on! Wish some people would concentrate on OUR success as much as Saint's "failure"

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Adkins bashing makes up for us not having to slag off our own managers which we have been perpetually doing for the last 6 or 7 years until The Messiah arrived , FACT.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
why so concerned? He has made a number of derogatory comments about us and clearly has done enough in trying to get under our skins to work against him and motivate us to do better. If that doesn't merit a little merriment at his expense then I don't know what does.

As to whether or not he is a good manager, I would have to say that is questionable. With the resources available to him he has created a very one-dimensional team with little ability to vary tactics. Add to that his attempts at amateur psychology and I would suggest that if you are looking for a mug you might do worse than take a peek in his direction rather than criticise your own.

This

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here