Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

All Things Bennetts Field Car Park - including club statement (merged threads)

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
However, Bennetts Field is an ill-conceived solution in the wrong place. I did find it odd that the stadium was ever allowed to be built without a major rebuilding of the flyover bridge and roads in and out both to the west and east (crucially without them having to cross each other - i.e. split level).

But isn't Bennetts Field just a temporary parking solution until spaces become available at the Falmer School site? (Correct me someone.) There was a new flyover bridge constructed at the Falmer School junction, but I guess it hasn't had a chance to be fully used yet.

I do, however, have the opinion that the job of road layout design is given to work-experience kiddies or art students - none of whom actually drive. Whoever designed that A27 junction deserves to be buried under it.

But isn't Bennetts Field just a temporary parking solution until spaces become available at the Falmer School site? (Correct me someone.) There was a new flyover bridge constructed at the Falmer School junction, but I guess it hasn't had a chance to be fully used yet.

I do, however, have the opinion that the job of road layout design is given to work-experience kiddies or art students - none of whom actually drive. Whoever designed that A27 junction deserves to be buried under it.

The use of Bennett's Field for car parking has temporary approval for three years (until June 2014), after which it has to be returned to agricultural land.

http://87.252.33.67/AnitePublicDocs/00103123.pdf

What happens after this is a matter for conjecture, until/unless the club is allowed to use another area (eg Falmer Academy) within 1.5km of the stadium site - 2,000-2,200 parking spaces within a 1.5km radius is a condition of the stadium planning consent btw.

The use of Bennett's Field for car parking has temporary approval for three years (until June 2014), after which it has to be returned to agricultural land.

http://87.252.33.67/AnitePublicDocs/00103123.pdf

What happens after this is a matter for conjecture, until/unless the club is allowed to use another area (eg Falmer Academy) within 1.5km of the stadium site - 2,000-2,200 parking spaces within a 1.5km radius is a condition of the stadium planning consent btw.

The way thing are going it might well be at the end of this season.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I suggest everyone that is displeased emails the club and does it now. I'm not sure they are taking this very seriously at the moment, possibly because they are dealing with other matters but nonetheless it needs sorting out. They do have other things to do after all. I have emailed for a second time today to the following people:

ken.brown[MENTION=5978]bhafc[/MENTION].co.uk
martin.perry[MENTION=5978]bhafc[/MENTION].co.uk
paul.rogers[MENTION=5978]bhafc[/MENTION].co.uk
richard.hebberd[MENTION=5978]bhafc[/MENTION].co.uk

The club are in severe danger of alienating a very profitable source of income if they do not sort this out soon.

What a fantastically well balanced and structured riposte.

But accurate and succinct.Not everyone in 1901 is a jcl Hooray Henry. I`ve supported the Albion through thick and more often thin for nearly 40 years.I`ve stood in 6,000 crowds at the Goldstone,travelled the tedious journey to Gillingham and sat in cold and pissing rain at Withdean.I have a wife and kids to look after,work bloody hard and have never spent any money on myself.After a bit of convincing from my wife I decided that this would be the one big treat I would allow myself after all these years .So you may treat yourself to odd meals out,nights at the pub or maybe holidays, who knows and best of luck to you.I`ve decided to invest my money in the football club I love and am sick and tired of small-minded comments like yours.I absolutely love the Albion and last night was fantastic but the car-park fiasco afterwards completely spoils it.There is going to be a major incident in there before long as tempers are flaring even after a great win.The club is totally ignoring it and if a die-hard fan like me is wondering if it`s worth it then I`m sure a lot of the newbies will be giving up their seats before long.The club needs the money to continue the fantastic progress it`s making which is of benefit to all of us so why make such snidey comments?

Last edited:

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Several people in my office who are 1901 members have now stopped parking at the ground and park in north coledean - 20 min walk and your in your car. Last night I left the ground at 10.20pm - in car at 10.40pm, home in Shoreham at 11.00pm. I'm glad I didn't pay £300 odd to buy a space !

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
They should move the 1901ers over to the Sussex Uni parking, as originally intended.

Bennett's Field is clearly unfit for purpose - and the Club are now in severe danger of alienating 2500 of their biggest spending customers.

- and I'm not sure they are taking this at all seriously...

Would it be cynical to suggest that the club aren't taking it seriously because they think they've got the 1901'ers by the balls for five years? Maybe needs a poll to ask 1901ers how many would be happy to renew given the current setup. I suspect the results would be a massive embarrassment to the club - as well as being a major threat to the bottom line. I suspect there will be one or two major players in the 1901 breaking ranks and taking action long before this season is over, let alone five seasons. Doubt that many of us in the cheap seats would accept being so blatantly short-changed for very long. Seriously seems to me that only the disabled supporters get a worse deal. And I actually DO mean that. Nobody else gets told what to eat, when to eat, what to wear, which parts of the ground to visit, when to leave the stadium area. The most telling thing to me is the huge number of 1901ers who - already, at this early stage - wouldn't dream of taking a corporate client to the Amex. Says it all really.

Last edited:

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
After 4/5 games now people are still shuffling their transport arrangements so it will take a few more matches to stabalise. It's the disabled fans that don't have a choice and the car is the only option, and they will have to sit through this car park experiment until it gets sorted.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
It looks like people will have to suffer a little inconvenience - just like corporate fans at other modern grounds. If 1901ers need to get away early for some special reason, it looks like they will have to make other arrangements to get to and from the ground.

Why oh why do we attract so many moaners to our Club? We have one of the best grounds in the country - and they still moan!

Well that's rich...you come on here and moan about people moaning...so welcome to the moaners club...seriously though...I don't mind waiting after the match and slowly filtering out...so why don't I talk to Matin Perry and Mr Hebbard? Did that,Emailed...did that...somebody asked about parking at BF on this thread...so people answer ...then get branded a moaner.Some answer by saying why not stay behind and have refreshments...some people don't because drink driving...a lot of people are not hungry...so do they sit around and chat? Well,we can sit in the car and say nothing till things get sorted out.....How? if the club are unaware there is a problem,in which case things would never improve.

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
But accurate and succinct.Not everyone in 1901 is a jcl Hooray Henry. I`ve supported the Albion through thick and more often thin for nearly 40 years.I`ve stood in 6,000 crowds at the Goldstone,travelled the tedious journey to Gillingham and sat in cold and pissing rain at Withdean.I have a wife and kids to look after,work bloody hard and have never spent any money on myself.After a bit of convincing from my wife I decided that this would be the one big treat I would allow myself after all these years .So you may treat yourself to odd meals out,nights at the pub or maybe holidays, who knows and best of luck to you.I`ve decided to invest my money in the football club I love and am sick and tired of small-minded comments like yours.I absolutely love the Albion and last night was fantastic but the car-park fiasco afterwards completely spoils it.There is going to be a major incident in there before long as tempers are flaring even after a great win.The club is totally ignoring it and if a die-hard fan like me is wondering if it`s worth it then I`m sure a lot of the newbies will be giving up their seats before long.The club needs the money to continue the fantastic progress it`s making which is of benefit to all of us so why make such snidey comments?

Plenty of 1901ers are now using park n ride. Home early, but still with the luxury of the armrests & catering in the middle tier.
Parking to get home early was not a guarantee in any shape or form of taking an individual 1901 seat.

But general point ... would it help traffic flow for 1901 and park n ride etc, if the mass of cars picking up in Village Way, doing U Turns etc, were prohibited from entering after 4.30?

Last edited:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Would it be cynical to suggest that the club aren't taking it seriously because they think they've got the 1901'ers by the balls for five years? Maybe needs a poll to ask 1901ers how many would be happy to renew given the current setup. I suspect the results would be a massive embarrassment to the club - as well as being a major threat to the bottom line. I suspect there will be one or two major players in the 1901 breaking ranks and taking action long before this season is over, let alone five seasons. Doubt that many of us in the cheap seats would accept being so blatantly short-changed for very long. Seriously seems to me that only the disabled supporters get a worse deal. And I actually DO mean that. Nobody else gets told what to eat, when to eat, what to wear, which parts of the ground to visit, when to leave the stadium area. The most telling thing to me is the huge number of 1901ers who - already, at this early stage - wouldn't dream of taking a corporate client to the Amex. Says it all really.

If anyone at the club read that they should be worried.

teething problems are inevitable but the essence of increasing income through good project/event management is to learn quickly and correct.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
All of this, particularly the corporate guest bit. Why would you, it's just embarrassing. Still love my seat though!!

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Plenty of 1901ers are now using park n ride. Home early, but still with the luxury of the armrests & catering in the middle tier.
Parking to get home early was not a guarantee in any shape or form of taking an individual 1901 seat.

Firstly great post by salty ... top marks m8

I'm not a 1901 but I have used P&R 3 times and if you got out quick then I can only assume you are a major athlete ... from my seat in WSL I've been stuck in stadium area 60 minutes after leaving seat each time

Sloe Joe

Oct 7, 2010
The Uni car parks across the A27 weren't that much clever.
For some reson they closed the w/bound exit and it took another 10/15 mins to get going. Donny was simple but but my train back to MK afer xtra time was a definate no/no so a berth in Cowfold at TB's successor's home wasn't that bad.
No names of course bit I travelled back (in TBS's 6 litre Merc) which was chosen instead of the Aston.
And he's only 12 !
Of course his investment looked good after last night. I wish my pocket money extended to £m's.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
So, we're agreed that football ground car parks always take a long time to get out of and that the Village Way junction/traffic liughts are going to be redesigned by the end of September, maybe just one more home game before they are done?

Is it is also reasonable to say that its unfortunate that our fourth home game in the new stadium, with the temporary car park and unfinished traffic light system, was an evening kick-off that went to extra time?

Is it fair to say that expectations will return to normal at some point and that things will clearly improve?

just asking, like

zoogull

zoogull
May 29, 2008
Herstmonceux
I feel a great deal of sympathy for the disabled and older fans who need to use their cars. I'm sure that the club will sort something out soon: some type of filter, where a few cars are squeezed between P & R buses might be a good stop gap just to ease the congestion. Kalimantan does have a good point though: 2 home Carling cup games in two weeks, with Extra Time is a case of 'sod's law,' and they do need to consider overtime for staff to keep the bars open longer, after all pubs don't close their doors until gone 11.

All this Schadenfreude aimed at the 1901ers does seem a little excessive. We were all offered the different packages, and after having no parking at all at Withdean, it must have seemed like a luxury that was worth the extra dosh.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

But isn't the problem that all those actually moaning can't see the wood for the trees. We are only four games into the new season, two night games and two on a Saturday. Do these impatient pratts expect a new travel plan to be devised, revised or whatever overnight just because they think the solution is to open their barrier. We already know that the re phasing of the lights needs to be agreed with the highway authority and it may be that will solve a lot of the problems. Do they honestly think the Highways agency gives a flying f*** about delays for a few Brighton fans and get their arse into gear for the next home game.

Let's not forget that it is only 18 days since the season began.

We already know that the re phasing of the lights needs to be agreed with the highway authority and it may be that will solve a lot of the problems. Do they honestly think the Highways agency gives a flying f*** about delays for a few Brighton fans and get their arse into gear for the next home game.
The highway authority in question is East Sussex County Council, not the Highways Agency. A major concern of ESCC will be to ensure that traffic doesn't back up too much on the Falmer - Woodingdean road, and - in particular - to avoid congestion on the flyover over the A27 and the slip roads that serve the flyover. Getting traffic out of the stadium post-match will be a secondary issue.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The highway authority in question is East Sussex County Council, not the Highways Agency. A major concern of ESCC will be to ensure that traffic doesn't back up too much on the Falmer - Woodingdean road, and - in particular - to avoid congestion on the flyover over the A27 and the slip roads that serve the flyover. Getting traffic out of the stadium post-match will be a secondary issue.

Appreciate the correction. Unlikely they will be bending over backwards to sort this. No doubt they will require evidence to support the benefits of the change, probably some sort of computer modelling rather than hearsay rants of a few 'annoyed' fans.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here