Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

All Things Bennetts Field Car Park - including club statement (merged threads)

Hoops Seagull

Nov 17, 2008
There not "jumping ahead" travel safety dictates that the park and ride area must be clear before they can empty Bennetts field.

There is no need for anyone safety to be effected. All they need to do is make the pedestrians walk up either the steps by the south west corner or on the slope and stand stewards across the slope above the steps. That way no pedestrians are near the car park exit so cars can then leave at final whistle and at the top pedestrians don't need to be anywhere near the road where people drive anyway!! They keep going on about pedestrian safety - what do they do for instance " Holmbush car park at ShorehaM " no-one can drive cars incase someone is walking about its crazy.

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
Yet again people are complaining that the club are not fulfilling their promise to the 1901ers. From reading the above it seems people have been allowed the privilege of having a space at the ground but are now unhappy. I haven't heard anyone say that their parking space is not available. Correct me if i'm wrong but that is all the club have promised. Show me where the club has said that as a result of having a parking space you will also be able to get out straight away. For some self proclaimed "intelligent" people there doesn't appear to have been much foresight involved. Or were you so wrapped up in the aura of your own specialness that you didn't bother to ask the most basic of questions.

I got the train. I watched the whole game. I didnt need to run anywhere. And I was home just after 11pm still basking in the satisfaction of another glorious night. Lovely jubbly.

NorthStandN1A

Aug 1, 2011
Hove
How do you arrive at that conclusion from what LB posted???

I was just asking if this was the case. I don't use Bennetts field or take the bus. I saw the mayhem last night or the first time and was merely asking a question.
When he said they need to get out quicker because buses are having to come back 2 or 3 times it sounded as if buses were leaving half full or something. But if it is a shuttle service of course the buses will be making several runs.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Well firstly I'm not a 1901 but I do have sympathy for them as I do anyone that has had some of the nightmare that have been described.

Secondly I have used P&R three times and as a fairly competent and intelligent person it's quite clear to me that improvements could and should be made - as I've said in previous posts I do not expect to just waltz out and it will take time to improve.

Yes I am dismissive because as someone who has been in business many years taking and responding to customer feedback is the way any commercial organisation (which B&HA are) gets essential information to improve the quality of the product and experience. And yes I do think that they should be looking at making improvements and communicating them

It's easy to take a swipe and use the "moaning" argument - quite frankly I'd prefer a more constructive debate, but I'm not surprised

As someone who has been in business many years why are you sending your question via a fans forum and not sending it direct to the likes of Martin Perry or Richard Hebberd. If I, as I consider myself fairly competent and intelligent, had sent the question to MP then I may have used similar wording to you but I would have also pointed out what method of travel I had used, ie whether I was using Bennetts Field, the Uni car parks or the P&R.

Out of interest, which P&R sites have you used?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'm guessing that probably wasn't in the brochure.

I suspect the brochure promised near stadium parking and nothing else. The 1901's assumed it would mean a quick getaway. Did the brochure ever mention a quick getaway ???

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I got in mine at 11.00 and was out at 11.10. Gotta agree that I wouldn't dream of taking a client (if I had any) given the current set up.

I have not experienced the problem. However, having had a box at The Walkers some years ago, it sounds no different to their corporate parking over the road. I used to just stay in the box with my clients until the crowds had cleared. What do people expect?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
As someone who has been in business many years why are you sending your question via a fans forum and not sending it direct to the likes of Martin Perry or Richard Hebberd. If I, as I consider myself fairly competent and intelligent, had sent the question to MP then I may have used similar wording to you but I would have also pointed out what method of travel I had used, ie whether I was using Bennetts Field, the Uni car parks or the P&R.

Out of interest, which P&R sites have you used?

I have sent a message to both Martin Perry (although somewhat understandably had no response) and also to Customer Services (ditto). I then tried ATC ... I'm not sure what else I can do and I imagine they've had more than just my communication, which wasn't a whinge but a genuine request for information about the intentions or otherwise of the club to look into it

As for the method I perceive all the methods are in some need of improvement, so it's somewhat academic what I have experienced. Again I don't think any reasonable person expects to just "leave and go" and moving 20,000 people is going to take time. But I can't believe the club aren't aware and they are planning - I simply think some form of communication is all that's needed. In fact a simple consultation would be very productive I think

I've used Mill Road and Mithras both were painful to say the least - last night appears that Mithras was better than last week

I'm no authority on logistics but I can't believe it cannot be improved to make the experience better

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
. I haven't heard anyone say that their parking space is not available. Correct me if i'm wrong but that is all the club have promised. Show me where the club has said that as a result of having a parking space you will also be able to get out straight away.

In among some unnecessarily snidey digs at the 1901ers (who are mainly just ordinary Albion fans the same as everyone else), this is a decent point.

When I signed up, I was never too bothered about the parking space as my experience of football car parks has always been that it's the worst possible way of getting away from a game quickly.

I think everyone thought they'd be at the Uni though, rather than hemmed in by the buses.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Am I wrong in thinking that Bennett’s Field was a last minute option pushed onto the club due to the parking planned in the old Falmer High school falling behind schedule?
When and if this finally happens will this Bennett parking area no longer be used?
Without the Bennett’s Field parking and traffic congestion the park and ride bus service would also be a lot better.

houlio

May 9, 2008
Yet again people are complaining that the club are not fulfilling their promise to the 1901ers. From reading the above it seems people have been allowed the privilege of having a space at the ground but are now unhappy. I haven't heard anyone say that their parking space is not available. Correct me if i'm wrong but that is all the club have promised. Show me where the club has said that as a result of having a parking space you will also be able to get out straight away. For some self proclaimed "intelligent" people there doesn't appear to have been much foresight involved. Or were you so wrapped up in the aura of your own specialness that you didn't bother to ask the most basic of questions.

I got the train. I watched the whole game. I didnt need to run anywhere. And I was home just after 11pm still basking in the satisfaction of another glorious night. Lovely jubbly.

what a prick you really are.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Without the Bennett’s Field parking and traffic congestion the park and ride bus service would also be a lot better.

How? As I saw it last night the park and ride operation was completed and then the Bennett's field gate was opened allowing all the cars to eventually crawl out of the car park after an hour.

The thing that would most rile me about Bennett's field if I were a customer is the total disregard for the massive queue after the match. One or two stewards could filter the traffic out maybe 10/15 cars at a time in between the buses to at least get the thing moving, blocking the cars in for an hour after kick off and then opening the gates and running off just strikes me as completely sub standard, no effort to get the traffic flowing whatsoever it's just the easiest thing to do and I can't imagine the 1901'ers or any other person who has paid for parking there will put up with it for much longer.

I spoke to Richard Hebbard just before the first league game and he was saying how well the travel plans were coming together, if people arrive early and leave late then no one has a problem etc etc. If you had taken that advice last night and stayed for an hour after kick off and then returned to your car you were faced with joining the back of a queue stretching right around the car park and probably another 15 minute wait to get out.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I have sent a message to both Martin Perry (although somewhat understandably had no response) and also to Customer Services (ditto). I then tried ATC ... I'm not sure what else I can do and I imagine they've had more than just my communication, which wasn't a whinge but a genuine request for information about the intentions or otherwise of the club to look into it

As for the method I perceive all the methods are in some need of improvement, so it's somewhat academic what I have experienced. Again I don't think any reasonable person expects to just "leave and go" and moving 20,000 people is going to take time. But I can't believe the club aren't aware and they are planning - I simply think some form of communication is all that's needed. In fact a simple consultation would be very productive I think

I've used Mill Road and Mithras both were painful to say the least - last night appears that Mithras was better than last week

I'm no authority on logistics but I can't believe it cannot be improved to make the experience better

Fair enough if you have sent messages direct to the club. As for P&R, we used Mill Road for the Donny game and found it horrendous but used Mithras house for the second game and then the P&R at Watts Building last night. Got home to Burgess Hill by 11.15 without missing any of the game. Not ideal but only to be expected with the size of the crowds. At Withdean I always used the Mill road P&R and was normally home by 5.30.

I am sure the club are looking into this but suspect they won't make any drastic changes until several more games have been experienced and whilst people are sorting out their preferred method of transport and in some cases P&R site. However, as you say, a communication to that effect would pacify most (but probably not all).

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Fair enough if you have sent messages direct to the club. As for P&R, we used Mill Road for the Donny game and found it horrendous but used Mithras house for the second game and then the P&R at Watts Building last night. Got home to Burgess Hill by 11.15 without missing any of the game. Not ideal but only to be expected with the size of the crowds. At Withdean I always used the Mill road P&R and was normally home by 5.30.

I am sure the club are looking into this but suspect they won't make any drastic changes until several more games have been experienced and whilst people are sorting out their preferred method of transport and in some cases P&R site. However, as you say, a communication to that effect would pacify most (but probably not all).

Fine - we are agreed then - just goes to show how these posts are misinterpreted (no blame - just a fact)

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
How? As I saw it last night the park and ride operation was completed and then the Bennett's field gate was opened allowing all the cars to eventually crawl out of the car park after an hour.

The thing that would most rile me about Bennett's field if I were a customer is the total disregard for the massive queue after the match. One or two stewards could filter the traffic out maybe 10/15 cars at a time in between the buses to at least get the thing moving, blocking the cars in for an hour after kick off and then opening the gates and running off just strikes me as completely sub standard, no effort to get the traffic flowing whatsoever it's just the easiest thing to do and I can't imagine the 1901'ers or any other person who has paid for parking there will put up with it for much longer.

I spoke to Richard Hebbard just before the first league game and he was saying how well the travel plans were coming together, if people arrive early and leave late then no one has a problem etc etc. If you had taken that advice last night and stayed for an hour after kick off and then returned to your car you were faced with joining the back of a queue stretching right around the car park and probably another 15 minute wait to get out.

We had planned to stay after the game as in fact we did against Gillingham and had no problem, but last night came out after the game and all the bars were closed, so all the people who probably would have stayed as they did against Gillingham left. This added to the problem in my view.

Last edited:

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
I am in the Uni car park and so far, no real issues, ok it has taken 20 mins to get out after the Donny game, but I think like Bennetts Field, there are teething problems. Think we must remember that the BF option was a late option and like a lot of things, I am sure that they will get it sorted in time. Think the other issues that people have moaned about on here are slowly getting sorted. Give the club a chance and I honesty believe that we are a victim of our own success, as I think maybe they planned for maybe 12-14k crowds, when doing the original plans for travel and now they have to cater for up to 20k. Lets have a discussion after say 2/3 months, once things have settled down, feedback reviewed, Stewards better trained and TL system at Falmer changed, then think things will get better.

As a 1901 member, the facilites and service is now superb, no cold broccolli anymore and you feel a million dollars up there, the football aint bad either, so we could all go back to Withdean and sit in the open or we give the club a chance to sort it out in a proper manner via feedback and facts, not whining on a message board.................

I got home at 11:10 last night, happy, content, dry and excited to see what is going on with our club, surely we must congratulate the club and not constantly moan about things......

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As a 1901 member, the facilites and service is now superb, no cold broccolli anymore

That buffet last night was very poor though. Seriously poor. Sweet and sour chicken should be sticky, honey, like...not a watery soup with cubed chicken in it. The spring rolls were stodge, the crackers stale. And the battered deep friend prawns looked like some pre-formed died orange crap from Iceland.

Freddo

May 14, 2006
Clapham

I'm not even in 1901 but that comment is pretty lame.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here