Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

All the magic has gone

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I think a lot of fans still love the competition - sadly, most of the managers don't. I think they should now add the word 'reserves' after every team which is higher up the league. Shame.

I think for the clubs, and maybe the players, the further up the leagues you get the less the cup means. I doubt if many players in the Premiership really care about the FA Cup or even the World Cup to a degree, for them it is really about the Premiership and Champions League...in fact, I think quite a few of them don't really give a toss about football at all, it is just about money.

I still love the FA Cup but my interest wanes after the third or fourth round when we are often down to the usual suspects, giant killings are now pretty rare. For non-league teams the money they get from reaching the first or second round can provide vital income to keep them afloat or help develop as a club, many teams who are now in the lower reaches of the football league used good runs in the FA Cup as a springboard to greater things.

How can we return the Cup to the status it used to have, it would mean returning the European competitions to knock-outs rather than league format, that way by the time the bigger clubs enter in round three it might be their only chance of a trophy that season. But, when it comes down to money, it won't happen...nobody wants to kill the goose that lays the golden eggs.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
I'm middle aged now, and I remember an F.A Cup that really meant something to everyone. Southampton v Manchester United 1976 was the first final I watched-what an introduction!

If a big team was drawn against a lower league club they played to win, and were very wary of dropping players. A giant killing was not a minor blip. I'll never forget Malcolm Allinsons face after City's exit at Halifax. He looked shamed.

I remember listening under the covers to the match between first division Arsenal and third division Sheffield Wednesday in 1979. It kept going to replays and Arsenal, despite other interests, fielded a team to win.

We'll never see that again.

For me the magic has ended- and it's the comments on here that have clinched it. When supporters of a third division team inherit the arrogance that started in the first it's time to give up on the competition. To suggest that it doesn't matter-even to say it will be good to be knocked out makes it a sad day. The competition once embodied all that was great about being a football supporter, now it amplifies all that is opposite to that.

Who remembers the full strengh Liverpool side that came to the Goldstone for the fourth round in 1984? That 2-0 win and Terry Connor's goal will never leave me. Victory was no hollow crown. Liverpool won the league that year-and the European Cup, yet they still came to the Goldstone with no other intention that to win at all costs. Good times.

R.I.P F.A Cup

:thumbsup:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Still must be a bit of magic there tho eh - cos loads on us just watched the equivalent of a superextended lottery draw and are now feverishly discussing the outcome :lol:

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
It remains the best domestic cup competition in the world,but has been undermined by the focus on coming fourth,third or second in the top division.Coming FOURTH more important than winning the Cup ? It's beyond stupid.

The other thing is that in other countries the domestic cup is not well regarded,so when our game is swamped by foreign coaches it seems likely that their anti cup prejudices will come with them.

Course,whether a third tier team should adopt such a stance could be open to,err,debate.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I agree it was the year Manchester United opted out that it lost its magic. There was a joke doing the rounds when Chelsea won it that year: "This year Chelsea won the FA Cup. Next year an English team will win it." Okay, that brings in the debate on foreign players, which is not the subject here, but I can see what the joker means. I must admit that I haven't watched it seriously for a few years now. The last decent final was in 2004 I think (Liverpool v West Ham, when the Gerrard screamer stopped West Ham winning it and ensured the game went to penalties). At one time I would never have missed it. I would settle down with lunch and a drink and watch all the build up, the interviews on the coaches and everything else, but not any more. In 2005 I was coming home from holiday and only listened to it on the radio (bore draw between Arsenal and Manchester United). I cannot even remember who contested 2006 or 2007. I only had this year's on as a background while I sat on here. Another silly little detail I remember which I thought lowered the occasion too: the teams were playing away from their fans in the second half, against tradition I thought. Therefore, when Chelsea got the winner, all you saw was glum Pompey faces, rather than happy Chelsea ones. A silly point I know, but every other final I can remember, the winning team's fans were celebrating behind the goal the winning goal was scored.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Surely the FA Cup means so much to players and fans alike. The chance to play at bigger grounds, bigger attendances, better atmosphere, to see your side play against better players. In recent years Aston Villa and Tottenham away, great games and days. I remember watching my old local side Whyteleafe (Ryman - South) playing against Chester in the 1st round, record attendance for the club, massive cash injection, three coaches going to the reply, fans still talk about it, the romance is still there.

How arrogant to rest your players against lesser teams, as Woking and Manchester proved they still take it serious.

The FA Cup is still one of the biggest competitions in the world proved by worldwide viewing figures. It's about time clubs stopped fannying around, get them clubs to take the FA Cup serious and the romance will come back.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Surely the FA Cup means so much to players and fans alike. The chance to play at bigger grounds, bigger attendances, better atmosphere, to see your side play against better players. In recent years Aston Villa and Tottenham away, great games and days. I remember watching my old local side Whyteleafe (Ryman - South) playing against Chester in the 1st round, record attendance for the club, massive cash injection, three coaches going to the reply, fans still talk about it, the romance is still there.

How arrogant to rest your players against lesser teams, as Woking and Manchester proved they still take it serious.

The FA Cup is still one of the biggest competitions in the world proved by worldwide viewing figures. It's about time clubs stopped fannying around, get them clubs to take the FA Cup serious and the romance will come back.

Couldn't disagree with any of that, but it misses the point. For managers, like Gus, their jobs depend on getting the results that are expected of them by their bosses (not the fans), and this season, our priority is to get promotion, if at all possible. So quite rightly, the cup takes no priority at all. If we happen to win a couple, all well and good. Unfortunately, it seems to have disrupted our league performances - it's arguable whether it would have made any difference if we'd picked full strength teams, it has still disrupted the flow.

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
Personal greed has overtaken ambition with footballers so winning the FA cup means nothing when they can be playing Transylvania in the champions league or flogging pringles or coca cola

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
Sad but true I suppose. What really frustrates me is Gus' attitude the the FA cup this season. Yes the league is important but this isn't just some tin pot cup it's the FA cup, he should be treating it with respect. Instead we've got ourselves into two unnecessary replays against two non-league teams.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I still think the FA Cup is great competition and any other season would love to see us do well in it. I just feel we could be on the verge of something massive if we can get up this year. We'd have incredible momentum next season with moving into Falmer. Perhaps both are possible and maybe its nerves taking over by wanting us to concentrate on the league but personally, the less risks the better!

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
I still love the FA cup, Its a shame its now the third most important competition to premier league players. When i was a kid i can remember every interview i read was players raving about their dream of playing in the FA cup final at Wembley & what an event it used to be.

Its importance has become diluted over the years & i think its down to the FA & the telly companies to make it important again. If they offered a champions league place to the winners clubs would be fighting tooth & nail to win it. And the tv companies have to make it a massive event again. On FA cup day in the past you'd get up & from 9 in the morning there'd be coverage. It has to be made important again in the eyes of the average football fan.

I find Gus's stance on it dissapointing but i understand where he's coming from, The league HAS to be our priority this season & in all honesty if we go up i expect consolidation in the championship will be a priority over it too next season.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Couldn't disagree with any of that, but it misses the point. For managers, like Gus, their jobs depend on getting the results that are expected of them by their bosses (not the fans), and this season, our priority is to get promotion, if at all possible. So quite rightly, the cup takes no priority at all. If we happen to win a couple, all well and good. Unfortunately, it seems to have disrupted our league performances - it's arguable whether it would have made any difference if we'd picked full strength teams, it has still disrupted the flow.

I hear what you are saying but football clubs and Cup Competions aren't all about managers keeping thier jobs. The FA Cup is about glamour, romance and passion for players, managers and supporters.
Maybe if a side can cobble a cup run together it would give managers much needed cash to spend on players to improve league positions and save thier jobs.
I for one would rather a FA Cup trip to a Premiership / Championship than going to Exeter, Orient, ect, it's is a welcome relief from league fixtures.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I hear what you are saying but football clubs and Cup Competions aren't all about managers keeping thier jobs. The FA Cup is about glamour, romance and passion for players, managers and supporters.
Maybe if a side can cobble a cup run together it would give managers much needed cash to spend on players to improve league positions and save thier jobs.
I for one would rather a FA Cup trip to a Premiership / Championship than going to Exeter, Orient, ect, it's is a welcome relief from league fixtures.

They pick the teams, so it's their agenda, and I would much prefer to be watching Watford, Swansea, Ipswich etc. next year in a shiney new stadium, than play a cup match in a competition we're not going to win. A big win in the cup gives you a few hours of gratification, promotion could set this club up for seasons to come.

Foster House

Aug 25, 2010
East Sussex
Its interesting that someone mentioned that the cup first started going downhill in 1991. That was the first season we had semi finals at Wembley....... :angry:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
There is no magic left due to

Too many foreign players
Too much money in the Prem.
Too much footie on tv.
Foreign managers including ours not understanding the fans views
Too easy to get to play at Wembley
No real shocks any more. Even Man Utd going our to say, us, would not shock, everyone knows it was just their U10's playing.

bradley1

Nov 28, 2010
I'm middle aged now, and I remember an F.A Cup that really meant something to everyone. Southampton v Manchester United 1976 was the first final I watched-what an introduction!

If a big team was drawn against a lower league club they played to win, and were very wary of dropping players. A giant killing was not a minor blip. I'll never forget Malcolm Allinsons face after City's exit at Halifax. He looked shamed.

I remember listening under the covers to the match between first division Arsenal and third division Sheffield Wednesday in 1979. It kept going to replays and Arsenal, despite other interests, fielded a team to win.

We'll never see that again.

For me the magic has ended- and it's the comments on here that have clinched it. When supporters of a third division team inherit the arrogance that started in the first it's time to give up on the competition. To suggest that it doesn't matter-even to say it will be good to be knocked out makes it a sad day. The competition once embodied all that was great about being a football supporter, now it amplifies all that is opposite to that.

Who remembers the full strengh Liverpool side that came to the Goldstone for the fourth round in 1984? That 2-0 win and Terry Connor's goal will never leave me. Victory was no hollow crown. Liverpool won the league that year-and the European Cup, yet they still came to the Goldstone with no other intention that to win at all costs. Good times.

R.I.P F.A Cup

The FA cup winners should get a place in the Champions League plain and simple then it would become great again. Winning the FA Cup should be a bigger achievment than coming 4th in the Prem.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
It's lost its appeal for the same reason the EPL is a farce.

There's no hope of any true fairy tale results anymore because the difference between the haves and the have nots has never been greater.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
It has lost all the magic due to the greed of the Champions League

Yes, there's little doubt that this is a the main reason. Moving it to Cardiff didn't help although that wasn't easily avoided but Manure not playing in it in preference to the World Club Championship didn't help.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here