Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Les Biehn said:
People keep going on about Nicolas just passing sideways, well 2 points,

He actually kept possession

and

Having watched him a few times I believe there is more to his game than this, but as he was so in and out he looked to me like he was being sensible and just getting the basics right. Something Oatway doesn't and Chippy seemed incapable of last year.

Oi! GET BACK ON YOUR BB HOUSE thread !! :lolol:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I would prefer a strong link up striker than a target man. Still as I can guarantee we will be lumping it next year a target man would help.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Given a run last season and he could have proved himself. However, he didn't look anything special the season before and he had plenty of chances to prove himself.

I am caught on the fence on this one. I think he was a great chap and had the right attitude, but obviously we are tight on funds and perhaps if he couldn't make a huge impact on the team then it is best that he seeks football elsewhere.

Oct 20, 2004
walsall
Whether you like oatway or not - chances are his proposed return in 3 months will turn into 4 months, then 5 months then perhaps even retirement judging by the clubs recovery predictions over the past couple of years.

Nicholas may not be any better than chippy (debatable) or Oatway, but someone tell me who is? Please don't mention Hammond, as he seems to be either decaying under MM or was a one year wonder

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Titanic said:
Perhaps Wendy will sort him out ?

From all accounts Robinson is playing better so Wendy might be working some magic.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Black Country Seagull said:
And perhaps not - How is Wilkins going to help him?

Coaching his ability, tactical movement, confidence. You know, stuff that matters in a game that as harsh as it sounds MM seems pretty poor at.

It's all very well people saying that Nicolas' sideways and backwards passes were at least keeping possession, but keping possession is pointless when he's just giving it to someone equally as poor creatively who IS just lumping it upfield. Brilliant. We keep possession for one extra pass. Well worth a contract then.

Nicolas looked good in glimpses, but more often than not didn't look the part, for the first team or the reserves. His break up play wasn't bad, but with no one that could use the ball alongside him he was often forced into trying to do things he's not good enough to do.

Oct 20, 2004
walsall
Les Biehn said:
Coaching his ability, tactical movement, confidence. You know, stuff that matters in a game that as harsh as it sounds MM seems pretty poor at.

I realise how a player can be improved, however is wendy in charge of coaching?

Plus is jake any better this pre-season, who has he played against?

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
I don't mind Nicolas leaving so long as we sign a holding midfielder who can keep possesion and pass. The French trialist Williams looked capable of that. Also we have some excellent youth prospects in midfield who (if we sign on a pro contract) will be on sgnificantly less money, freeing up funds for our new striker.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Les Biehn said:

And sort of key to a good manager - why is he here again?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Kylies Stunt Arse said:
It's all very well people saying that Nicolas' sideways and backwards passes were at least keeping possession, but keping possession is pointless when he's just giving it to someone equally as poor creatively who IS just lumping it upfield. Brilliant. We keep possession for one extra pass. Well worth a contract then.

Nicolas looked good in glimpses, but more often than not didn't look the part, for the first team or the reserves. His break up play wasn't bad, but with no one that could use the ball alongside him he was often forced into trying to do things he's not good enough to do.

I get your point - but is that Nicolas's fault if the person he passes too hoofs it?

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I realise how a player can be improved, however is wendy in charge of coaching?

Plus is jake any better this pre-season, who has he played against?

I believe part of his new position is to do with coaching. What else would he be doing?

Kinky Gerbils said:
I get your point - but is that Nicolas's fault if the person he passes too hoofs it?

Not at all, but it does mean that he puts us under pressure as often as he helps to relieve it. His style doesn't really suit the way we've been playing, and as such he's been let go. I think we'd had have to radically reshape the side to accomodate him, which may have been possible.

Oct 20, 2004
walsall
paddy said:
I don't mind Nicolas leaving so long as we sign a holding midfielder who can keep possesion and pass. The French trialist Williams looked capable of that. Also we have some excellent youth prospects in midfield who (if we sign on a pro contract) will be on sgnificantly less money, freeing up funds for our new striker.

i await a burning - but the signing of 8 youth players in one year is either incredible lucky or another indication of a concern within the club of not being able to sign anyone. When have you heard of a club generally signing more than 3/4 of there youth programme?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Kylies Stunt Arse said:
Not at all, but it does mean that he puts us under pressure as often as he helps to relieve it. His style doesn't really suit the way we've been playing, and as such he's been let go. I think we'd had have to radically reshape the side to accomodate him, which may have been possible.

Maybe a complete reshape was needed after the relegationand the mass contracts that were up?

Last edited:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
i await a burning - but the signing of 8 youth players in one year is either incredible lucky or another indication of a concern within the club of not being able to sign anyone. When have you heard of a club generally signing more than 3/4 of there youth programme?

Why is everyone one so pessimistic about the youth signings. We are a lg 1 club whose youth team showed they are better than most Prem youth teams, surely this shows the quality we have and why they have been signed. Having watched about 10 youth games last year I can say that all the ones who were signed on deserved their contracts.

Oct 20, 2004
walsall
Les Biehn said:
I believe part of his new position is to do with coaching. What else would he be doing?

I'm just wondering / asking if anyone knows whether Wendy is now in charge of coahing or simply enforcing MM tactics and coaching requests?

You get two types of Manager, one who controls everything and another who leaves the coaching full stop up to someone else, which one have we got?

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I'm just wondering / asking if anyone knows whether Wendy is now in charge of coahing or simply enforcing MM tactics and coaching requests?

You get two types of Manager, one who controls everything and another who leaves the coaching full stop up to someone else, which one have we got?

Looking at the play of last year I would say the latter, just without the coaching staff.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here