Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

alexis nicolas

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
good ball winning players can be small. makalele, dennis wise 2 that spring straight to mind. a big physical presence is not always needed when you can get under peoples feet and in between them and the ball. hence them bowling you over and us winning the freekick.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
But wise and makalele are bustling aggressive midfielders who know there job, to me Nicolas seemed lost as to what kind of midfielder he was, wise and makalele are both small but could both mix it with bigger stronger players, even in the air, I do get where you are coming from though.:lolol:

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Trigger said:
A midfielder capable of passing the ball forwards without it being intercepted... Now what we need one of those for?

:thud:

Never fear. At a push we can always use Kerry in a midfield role.

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
sir danny cullip said:
O god...if I could be bothered to find that *thud* similey I would post it. Are you honestly suggesting that players like Charlie Oatway and Richard Carpenter would get in any other championship team?! I doubt they would get in many league 1 teams to be honest. Fact is they have managed to come to a club that rewards players for past success which imho is the wrong way to go about contract renewals.

As for the second comment his performance at Wolves proved to anyone watching that game that he is the only midfielder we have capable of consistantly passing to someone in the same coloured shirt rather than lumping the ball up in the air aimlessly ala richard carpenter. He did not play enough and despite that fact he behaved like a quality professional throughout never giving up on the cause and that to me shows that we have lost a gem of a player.

I wonder what will happen next year when they realise chippy is past it?! Oatway will probably be in his last season then as well and to have released a player that could potentially take over from oatway shows a lack of forward thinking as well as taking the easy decision to release nicolas rather than carpenter.

well said mate, some peoples views are beyond belief they really are.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
The thing about certain managers not liking certain players doesn't really wash either - after all, McGhee signed Nicolas in the first place!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'm surprised since I got a little bit of info via the chip shop connection and the teams being mentioned were definately higher up the league or abroad.

No disrespect to Barnet, but I'm sure he can do better than that. I'd suspect being a local lad he is there to keep his fitness up ?

Did I just start a sentence with "No disrespect to Barnet, but .."..

.. what an arsehole.:lolol:

Last edited:

JSD Albion

Jul 17, 2003
Burgess Hill
His early Albion games showed some real promise - the best for me was Watford away, the Virgo goal game - when he was MoM by a distance. At that point is looked as though he'd be a fixture in midfield for as long as he wanted, so it's a real disappointment that he went off the boil so soon.

finbar

Jul 15, 2003
Hove
he was utter f***ing shit, i said so as soon as he started playing. Another one of the 'oh he's foreign/young/non-league discovery, so he must be great' players who some cretins here seem to think will save us - he offered absolutely nothing of value, but soaked up thousands of pounds of wages and was at best a third rate substitute. The sort of player that if they are in your first team squad near enough means you are surrendering to relegation as you couldnt get anyone worthwhile so wents for dregs instead. See El Turi, Molango, Piercy etc for further details. (expecting a bite re: piercy(he wasnt ALL bad... NICHOLAS was though!!!)). Well done Dean Hammond for being a far better player.

Interesting references are:

http://85.234.132.19/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32303&highlight=finbar

best quote from someone was 'if we let him go just watch him go somewhere else and succeed!' -LOL, Barnet - only club with 3 mis-prints on their tickets, including mos-spalling the werd Barent!!!

http://85.234.132.19/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32586&highlight=finbar

Last edited:

finbar said:
he was utter f***ing shit, i said so as soon as he started playing. Another one of the 'oh he's foreign/young/non-league discovery, so he must be great' players who some cretins here seem to think will save us - he offered absolutely nothing of value, but soaked up thousands of pounds of wages and was at best a third rate substitute. The sort of player that if they are in your first team squad near enough means you are surrendering to relegation as you couldnt get anyone worthwhile so wents for dregs instead. See El Turi, Molango, Piercy etc for further details. (expecting a bite re: piercy(he wasnt ALL bad... NICHOLAS was though!!!)). Well done Dean Hammond for being a far better player.

Interesting references are:

http://85.234.132.19/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32303&highlight=finbar

best quote from someone was 'if we let him go just watch him go somewhere else and succeed!' -LOL, Barnet - only club with 3 mis-prints on their tickets, including mos-spalling the werd Barent!!!

http://85.234.132.19/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32586&highlight=finbar

Well done Dean Hammond for being a better player? Did you go to any games last season? Hammond was bad in a lot of them. Some of the easy chances he missed instead of scoring goals were disgraceful. Hammond must have something over McGhee for him to keep his place last season.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
London Irish said:
I watched most of his about 8 first-team games and a few of his Reserves games last season. The sad fact is he is a limited player who is not physical enough to command central midfield (never won one header in his entire two years here) and, worse, his passing was appallingly negative, always shifting responsibility on to other players in poorer, deeper positions.

I can't understand how you can see such a completely different player ...

He was never in the team to win headers.

He wasn't negative in his passing, he was keeping possession, rather than lumping it aimlessly forward, which I realise has become the norm in McGhee's side.

As for being a "limited" player, this is from someone who defends Oatway?

He was class, comfortably our most talented midfielder, and McGhee wasted him.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Repugnant Toad said:

He wasn't negative in his passing, he was keeping possession, rather than lumping it aimlessly forward, which I realise has become the norm in McGhee's side.

Well said sir :clap:

Originally posted by Repugnant Toad

:lolol: :lolol:

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Repugnant Toad said:
I can't understand how you can see such a completely different player ...

He was never in the team to win headers.

He was class, comfortably our most talented midfielder, and McGhee wasted him.

Crab is the best way I can sum him up, everything went sideways or backwards. Is that really what we need this season?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Uncle Buck said:
I suppose it would mean at least we retained the ball, in theory give it to somebody more creative and go from there. Instead we will just lump it forward, lose possession and have to defend.

We'll see, I don't think we will play that way this season. Not long until we find out though. Another attacking formation is what I expect to see a la early last season, this year it will work.

Last edited:

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Icy Gull said:
Crab is the best way I can sum him up, everything went sideways or backwards. Is that really what we need this season?

At least there would have been a chance of it going to the feet of another Brighton player, rather than straight to the head of a large centre-half which I imagine will happen when the targets for this season's aimless hoofs are Robinson and CKR.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I can honestly say that I have never understood the fuss over Alexis Nicolas. He had a great start while on loan at the club but after that he was not the same player. I was quite happy that we kept Carpenter instead of Nicolas as I think he will get back to his old form if he can stay fit.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Uncle Buck said:
He is already banging on about target men, which makes me think we will lump it forward and be very one dimensional.

I believe he would prefer to play using a squad and picking the team and tactics dependant on the opposition, time will tell. He does have a reputation of producing attractive sides when he has the players.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
People keep going on about Nicolas just passing sideways, well 2 points,

He actually kept possession

and

Having watched him a few times I believe there is more to his game than this, but as he was so in and out he looked to me like he was being sensible and just getting the basics right. Something Oatway doesn't and Chippy seemed incapable of last year.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Icy Gull said:
I believe he would prefer to play using a squad and picking the team and tactics dependant on the opposition, time will tell. He does have a reputation of producing attractive sides when he has the players.

But then I would say part of the problems last year were that we reacted to other teams tactics and this left some of our players struggling. At this lower level we should be looking to take the game to the opposition and let them worry about how we play.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here