Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alex Ferguson, when will the authorities stand up to this tosser?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Who said they were innocent, victimised, or misunderstood? They are, for certain though, trying to go about their business, and are frequently prevented from doing so by Ferguson. This incident is just a window onto stuff that goes on every week. Maybe you're the kind of fan who would like to hear all their news on the soft side from the official TV station, but you're in the minority.

Been going on every week, every month, every year since football began. Have a read about Bill Shankly's relationship with any journalist that said anything bad about Liverpool. Brian Clough once tore John Motson to shreds live on telly, and would often have reporters in pieces. Tad naive my friend. Perhaps you should broaden your knowledge of the game before branding anyone on the 'soft side'.:wink:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
They have just shown it on the news and it was obviously a loaded question with more to follow having been told that all questions must be about the coming game, and in so doing he got short shift from Sir Alex.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
why should he answer any questions from a reporter regarding his son? No relevance whatsoever.:shrug:

It's called investigative journalism. And there was a very obvious conflict of interest which in any other business would have got similar treatment. It might not be relevant to any particular match but certainly relevant to the conduct and finances of the club.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
They have just shown it on the news and it was obviously a loaded question with more to follow having been told that all questions must be about the coming game, and in so doing he got short shift from Sir Alex.

You're missing the point. Plenty of other managers would have given the question short shrift. NO other managers would have been petty and vindictive enough to ban him from another press call three days later for it.

Happily the old f**ker has merely made himself look a total tool, as it now appears it was a UEFA event and United have absolutely no jurisdiction over it on Friday.

And to Bold Seagull, with respect Bill Shankly didn't have a Liverpool TV station asking him what his favourite breakfast cereal was. He could handle the tougher stuff. As I've said above, this isn't about standing up to journalists, which should be encouraged. It's about banning them, which should be treated with contempt.

But listen, we are coming at this from poles apart. I think the fact that Ferguson doesn't speak to ANY newspaper reporters (not just the BBC) after league matches is a joke, paints him in a very bad light personally, shows he has major character flaws, and I always will think that. The only quotes you see in papers are nicked off Pravda MUTV ('So Sir Alex, another brilliant away draw...your thoughts?') It's bollocks.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Is it not obvious? Clearly he felt the BBC was wrong and challenged them to come up with some evidence to back up their pretty damning accusations against his son. The BBC had no evidence, hence no action was taken from a legal point of view. He has made it very clear over the years that if the BBC made an apology for the accusations they made, he would resume relations with them. So far the BBC have refused to apologise (or come up with any evidence) and AF still refuses to talk to them. (by the way, they are not banned from OT or his conferences, he simply refuses to speak to them directly.)

To be honest, I'd hope my Dad would do the same for me...

My memory of the program is that the main thrust was Fergie's son took advantage of his father's position. I also remember the evidence being rather compelling. One thing that is certain, is that Fergie put his son in a very dubious position, where there was a definite conflict of interest..... whether he took advantage of it or not. In most other professions this is very poor business practice. I trust your Dad would not put you in this position in the first place.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Been going on every week, every month, every year since football began. Have a read about Bill Shankly's relationship with any journalist that said anything bad about Liverpool. Brian Clough once tore John Motson to shreds live on telly, and would often have reporters in pieces. Tad naive my friend. Perhaps you should broaden your knowledge of the game before branding anyone on the 'soft side'.:wink:

Anyway, shut up or I'll ban you!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Happily the old f**ker has merely made himself look a total tool, as it now appears it was a UEFA event and United have absolutely no jurisdiction over it on Friday.

Far from it I think that he has done himself and his club a great favour and has gone up in the estimation of most fans for cutting a stupid journalist asking a totally irrelevant loaded question, short

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Far from it I think that he has done himself and his club a great favour and has gone up in the estimation of most fans for cutting a stupid journalist asking a totally irrelevant loaded question, short

Really, most people I know think he's an arrogant shit and will be laughing when Barca spank his team on Saturday. Each to their own though.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Most people I know like the way he treats the media as idiots to ask him such questions. They will all be after him when Utd win on Saturday, if any team can beat Barcelona and their favoured treatment it is Man Utd.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Joey Deacon's Disco Suit

It's a THUG life
Apr 19, 2010
Most people I know like the way he treats the media as idiots to ask him such questions. They will all be after him when Utd win on Saturday, if any team can beat Barcelona and their favoured treatment it is Man Utd.

I'd imagine most people that you talk to are the voices inside your head.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As Mourinho said any decisions going they get as refs are scared of them very similar to Utd in this country but on a much larger scale. How would I beat Barcelona? Sit John O Shea on Messi and tell him to stick to him like glue and nulify him thus stopping Barcelona. He would lose his rag with O'Shea up his shorts or standing on his toes. That would leave the way open for Rooney and co to score the 2 goals to win the game.

adammicheal

Jan 3, 2006
As Mourinho said any decisions going they get as refs are scared of them very similar to Utd in this country but on a much larger scale. How would I beat Barcelona? Sit John O Shea on Messi and tell him to stick to him like glue and nulify him thus stopping Barcelona. He would lose his rag with O'Shea up his shorts or standing on his toes. That would leave the way open for Rooney and co to score the 2 goals to win the game.

Problem with that is Messi pulls out to the wing taking O shea withj him leaving a big gap for Xavi/Innesta to cause damage

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Interesting. Barca do have other players aside from Messi. And Rooney does tend to choke on the biggest stages of all.

No disrespect but I think Fergie is possibly a better tactician than you, and certainly me. Let's let him get on with it and I'll hold my hands up if he can outwit the Catalans. I don't think he will though.

arfer guinness

Feb 15, 2007
I've just seen the item and it goes to show one of the reasons why he's the greatest manager this country has ever seen. He runs the club and not only controls the players but protects them as well.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
QUOTE [Problem with that is Messi pulls out to the wing taking O shea withj him leaving a big gap for Xavi/Innesta to cause damage ] QUOTE adammichael

I dont think that would happen because Vidic and Ferdinand will control the centre and neither of those players can operate without having Messi to release the ball to when under pressure. If he plays Man U problem will be Scholes as he is too physical to play against Barcelona and will not be allowed to tackle anybody.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here