Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion vs Derby County - Player Ratings

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Sullivan - 4 - SHOCKER for the first goal, every kick into the stand or straight to Carrol, only managed one save all night. Hmmm, bring back Michel...give him a go at a later date perhaps.
Whing - 6 - coped reasonably well
Elphick - 7 - good goal, possibly out of position for 3rd though
Hawkins - 1 - Eee Ooor, Ee Ooor, Eee Ooor
Richards - 5 - distribution APPALLING, at fault for at least one goal, if not two
Thomson - 3 - HOPELESS without anyone next to him. Completely overran by a better team. Big cock-up by MA.
Thornton - 8 - Class above the rest...but can't take throw-ins
Anyinsah - 2 - COMPLETELY anonymous. Send him back?
Cox - 5 - some bright moments, but not enough of them
Murray - 6 - Won a lot in the air..that's about it
Fleetwood - 3 - far too indecisive, fluffed our best chances, offside more than Murray....will be easier to judge against League 1 opponents. At least he looked fast!

McLard - 5 - one good cross
Livermore - 6 - still can't work out how he doesn't get in ahead of Thomson
El-abd - 3 - total HOWLER for fourth, which sadly will probably mean Hawkins keeps the shirt.

Suppose you have to take into accuont the VASTLY superior opponents before reading into things....

One True BHA

Sep 2, 2008
i thought thomson was ok tonight. elphick and thornton were our best players.

richards was an absolute disgrace for the second time in four days.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Sullivan 6 - could have done better with a couple of goals. Fans seem to love him for being able to kick the ball a long way, but whats the point when it goes to the opposition, needs to calm down a bit maybe

Whing 7 - did well again, and found some form in the last week or so

Elphick 8 - outstanding defender, last ditch tackles and scored a goal, which probably would have been ruled out had Derbys first goal been rule out

Hawkins 5 - won a few headers but at fault for the goal that killed us off, again another howler, but still not as bad as some people make out

Richards 5 - poor performance, at fault for 2 of the goals, poor distribution and sent his free kicks straight into the defensive wall

Anyinsah 5 - not a great game for him, tried to put himself about put a bit ineffective. Had a great header chance which he glanced off for a throw in I think

Thomson 6 - looks far more comfortable with Johnson next to him, disappointed slightly again, but not his worst game

Thornton 8 - MOM loads of grafting, some silky skills, looked our only real threat, but lacked some end product

Cox 6 - looked tired, started well but faded after 20 minutes, good to see him poutting a couple of challenges in too

Murray 7 - ran his nuts off again, looked injured but did a job holding the ball up, some great link up play with Fleetwood and a good partnership could develop if we keep the ball down

Fleetwood 6 - needs to be more selfish and shoot when through on goal instead of looking for a pass. Needs to make more of a nuisance of himself when the useless high balls go to their defenders

Livermore looked good after his pass went astray, I think he should start in centre midfield

McLeod doesnlt look fully fit, put in one great cross

El Abd should have dealt with the last goal better, but not much of a run out

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
Sullivan - 4 - Poor kicking, and at fault for the first goal tonight. A bit of a risk playing him against such good opponents.

Whing - 6 - Solid enough down our right side
Elphick - 7 - Best defender tonight, and a nicely taken goal as well
Hawkins - 4 - Wins headers, but makes howlers.
Richards - 4 - I'm always get anxious when Richards HAS to defend, tonight confirmed why that is the case. Even going forward he didn't look good tonight.

Thomson - 6 - Made a few nice passes, but nowhere near his best. Part of a non-existant midfield at times tonight.
Thornton - 7 - Not as effective as in recent games, but he looked bright in spells, and caused them problems.
Anyinsah - 5 - Should've scored near the end, not his best game tonight.
Cox - 6 - Put himself about, and chased back when needed. Not at his creative best tonight.

Murray - 6 - Looked tired tonight, won lots in the air but couldn't get in behind the Derby defence.
Fleetwood - 4 - Only challenged for ONE header. I know he's not the tallest but he cost us a fair bit of posession by shirking challenges. On a positive not, he is very pacey.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Sullivan - 4 - SHOCKER for the first goal, every kick into the stand or straight to Carrol, only managed one save all night. Hmmm, bring back Michel...give him a go at a later date perhaps.
Richards - 5 - distribution APPALLING, at fault for at least one goal, if not two
Thomson - 3 - HOPELESS without anyone next to him. Completely overran by a better team. Big cock-up by MA.
Fleetwood - 3 - far too indecisive, fluffed our best chances, offside more than Murray....will be easier to judge against League 1 opponents. At least he looked fast!

El-abd - 3 - total HOWLER for fourth, which sadly will probably mean Hawkins keeps the shirt.

Suppose you have to take into accuont the VASTLY superior opponents before reading into things....

Is this your markings for BHA vs Derby County in the League Cup because I do not recognise the marks from the game that I watched.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I wasnt convinced by Elphick tonight.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Only listened on SW but shocked to see the scores as JB gave me the impression that we matched them until their 3rd goal, seems not many of you agree with those appaling player ratings against a resurgent Championship team who have only lost 1 in 12

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Sullivan 6 - could have done better with a couple of goals. Fans seem to love him for being able to kick the ball a long way, but whats the point when it goes to the opposition, needs to calm down a bit maybe

Whing 7 - did well again, and found some form in the last week or so

Elphick 8 - outstanding defender, last ditch tackles and scored a goal, which probably would have been ruled out had Derbys first goal been rule out

Hawkins 5 - won a few headers but at fault for the goal that killed us off, again another howler, but still not as bad as some people make out

Richards 5 - poor performance, at fault for 2 of the goals, poor distribution and sent his free kicks straight into the defensive wall

Anyinsah 5 - not a great game for him, tried to put himself about put a bit ineffective. Had a great header chance which he glanced off for a throw in I think

Thomson 6 - looks far more comfortable with Johnson next to him, disappointed slightly again, but not his worst game

Thornton 8 - MOM loads of grafting, some silky skills, looked our only real threat, but lacked some end product

Cox 6 - looked tired, started well but faded after 20 minutes, good to see him poutting a couple of challenges in too

Murray 7 - ran his nuts off again, looked injured but did a job holding the ball up, some great link up play with Fleetwood and a good partnership could develop if we keep the ball down

Fleetwood 6 - needs to be more selfish and shoot when through on goal instead of looking for a pass. Needs to make more of a nuisance of himself when the useless high balls go to their defenders

Livermore looked good after his pass went astray, I think he should start in centre midfield

McLeod doesnlt look fully fit, put in one great cross

El Abd should have dealt with the last goal better, but not much of a run out

That couldnt have been the same Murray as i saw tonight.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
OK... of course I know nothing because I wasnt there but most of you seeme to have forgotten we were playing a Champiopnship team. For 75 minutes we were in the game and we were on par with them. 4-1 was not a fair reflection of the game. Apart from Cox I think everyone deserved 6 or better. Sullys game was mixed and I think he hasnt made the position his own so Michel should be back Saturday.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Scores for Brighton players against in-form Championship side Derby.

Sullivan - 5- looked a clear foul to me for the first, even Derby looked surprised when it was given. Not the day for long kicks with Murray an unfit and unsuitable target man.

Whing - 6 - neat and tidy. Getting his form back?
Elphick - 7 - looked really good. Nothing wrong with his goal.
Hawkins - 6 - at fault for the second. Good headers in first half but faded badly. Not a donkey as some suggest but he struggled to handle Championship players pace when we were pressing forward and thin at the back.
Richards - 4 - Funny game - at times they doubled up on him and the tactic worked, the fact that everything came down their right tells a tale. He'll be back.

Thomson - 6 - in and out of the game. Looked diminutive in stature and command at times. Another who tends to go AWOL at times.
Thornton - 8 - really worried Derby until his fitness gave up - clearly still not quite match fir. That tiredness caused the weird foul throws I suspect. A star in midfield.
Anyinsah - 6 - promised much, delivered little. He's teetering - I hope he goes forward and doesn't fall back.
Cox - 6 - good first half, poor second half. Can't fault his effort. Stay on the wing Coxy.

Murray - 7 - asked to do a Peter Crouch and it's not his game. Will have better games.
Fleetwood - 6 - worried Derby in first half, worked out in the second.

Michel - 10, for pretending to "clip" the linesman during his warm up after I shouted at him from D block.

Overall a creditable performance where every player would have had at least one more point if we converted one or two early on. We wouldn't have been chasing the game and they would have been leaving gaps. If we'd put in the goal line clearance and the "offside" goal that MA is adamant was not offside, this could easily have been 4-2 to us. Nothing to be down about - not nearly as bad a performance as people are saying. That quality in League One and we'd be in the play-offs.

Pointed out to my son after 10 minutes that the difference between L1 and Championship is the quality of the finishing and thus it proved to be. Derby fan on the radio reckoned we played really well and they were nervous. Game went AWOL when we were chasing the game at 3-1, prior to that we did ourselves justice, shame we didn't take some of our chances.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

WHOA THERE!

I'm not going to comment on last night's game as I wasn't there, but is this the same Richards who's offensive play set up THREE goals on Saturday?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
WHOA THERE!

I'm not going to comment on last night's game as I wasn't there, but is this the same Richards who's offensive play set up THREE goals on Saturday?

That's the concern about Matt Richards. Tends to be a lot better going forward than defending ... and he's a defender!

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Scores for Brighton players against in-form Championship side Derby.

Sullivan - 5- looked a clear foul to me for the first, even Derby looked surprised when it was given. Not the day for long kicks with Murray an unfit and unsuitable target man.

Whing - 6 - neat and tidy. Getting his form back?
Elphick - 7 - looked really good. Nothing wrong with his goal.
Hawkins - 6 - at fault for the second. Good headers in first half but faded badly. Not a donkey as some suggest but he struggled to handle Championship players pace when we were pressing forward and thin at the back.
Richards - 4 - Funny game - at times they doubled up on him and the tactic worked, the fact that everything came down their right tells a tale. He'll be back.

Thomson - 6 - in and out of the game. Looked diminutive in stature and command at times. Another who tends to go AWOL at times.
Thornton - 8 - really worried Derby until his fitness gave up - clearly still not quite match fir. That tiredness caused the weird foul throws I suspect. A star in midfield.
Anyinsah - 6 - promised much, delivered little. He's teetering - I hope he goes forward and doesn't fall back.
Cox - 6 - good first half, poor second half. Can't fault his effort. Stay on the wing Coxy.

Murray - 7 - asked to do a Peter Crouch and it's not his game. Will have better games.
Fleetwood - 6 - worried Derby in first half, worked out in the second.

Michel - 10, for pretending to "clip" the linesman during his warm up after I shouted at him from D block.

Overall a creditable performance where every player would have had at least one more point if we converted one or two early on. We wouldn't have been chasing the game and they would have been leaving gaps. If we'd put in the goal line clearance and the "offside" goal that MA is adamant was not offside, this could easily have been 4-2 to us. Nothing to be down about - not nearly as bad a performance as people are saying. That quality in League One and we'd be in the play-offs.

Pointed out to my son after 10 minutes that the difference between L1 and Championship is the quality of the finishing and thus it proved to be. Derby fan on the radio reckoned we played really well and they were nervous. Game went AWOL when we were chasing the game at 3-1, prior to that we did ourselves justice, shame we didn't take some of our chances.

Now that appears to be a very fair and reasonable summary of the game and the player ratings. A lot more level-headed than some on here.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

That's the concern about Matt Richards. Tends to be a lot better going forward than defending ... and he's a defender!

Not really arguing with that. However if we were to label a player a DISGRACE, for their part in a match where they contributed to three goals, and made no significant errors, then we'd be pretty much out of line, imo.

Now that appears to be a very fair and reasonable summary of the game and the player ratings. A lot more level-headed than some on here.

You won't get level-headed from a lot on here. Hawkins getting '1' sums up the mentality of the thread starter. Anyinsah '2' ?

North Stand Crap.

As the saying goes "It is better to stay silent and be thought a fool, than to open one’s mouth and remove all doubt".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here