Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion vs Derby County - Player Ratings

One True BHA

Sep 2, 2008
WHOA THERE!

I'm not going to comment on last night's game as I wasn't there, but is this the same Richards who's offensive play set up THREE goals on Saturday?

beaten every time by the winger. well done him for assisting three goals, but his main job is to defend, and he did not do that.

One True BHA

Sep 2, 2008
He was well beaten and responsible for the 3rd goal but the others were no more his fault than any other defenders.

it wasn't just the goals i was talking about. he got beaten many times, was caught out of position several times and it could have cost us more than it did.

humpy

Mar 13, 2006
worthing
Is this your markings for BHA vs Derby County in the League Cup because I do not recognise the marks from the game that I watched.

me neither but of course we should be beating teams like derby

Seagullible

Super Keeper
Jul 7, 2003
Tea room, The Office, Slough
After seeing the goals on Sky news last night. Sullivan was a bit unlucky not to get a foul so not gonna critisize but he seemed to go to ground very early and was a bit slow off his line for the second. He'll be a very good keeper and will continue to learn but think FDM should be back on Sat knowing that if he slips up, Sulli will take over

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton
Don't think Thorntons fit enough to play CM with only Thomson alongside him. Playing him on the left/right allows him to stay in the attacking third more often, wonder around leaving the other team unsure whos marking him and do his little turns there rather than in our half or on the HW line.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Don't think Thorntons fit enough to play CM with only Thomson alongside him. Playing him on the left/right allows him to stay in the attacking third more often, wonder around leaving the other team unsure whos marking him and do his little turns there rather than in our half or on the HW line.

Agree.

Decent performence n' that, but I dont think I have ever seen a striker as bad in the air as Fleetwood is.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
I felt a bit sorry for Sullivan. The first goal was possibly a foul, but it was a mistake by Sullivan. He was then left exposed by a Hawkins gaff for number 2, the third goal was a great move and finish and an El-Abd howler left him exposed for the 4th goal.

Not a comfortable night to be an Albion keeper.

Saturdays team could be interesting with no Johnson, Thornton or Fleetwood. I imagine Virgo, Forster (if fit) and Livermore may get in the starting XI. Lets hope Richards and Aninsah are allowed to play by Ipswich and Preston otherwise we will struggle to field 11 players and 5 subs!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I felt a bit sorry for Sullivan. The first goal was possibly a foul, but it was a mistake by Sullivan. He was then left exposed by a Hawkins gaff for number 2, the third goal was a great move and finish and an El-Abd howler left him exposed for the 4th goal.

Not a comfortable night to be an Albion keeper.

Saturdays team could be interesting with no Johnson, Thornton or Fleetwood. I imagine Virgo, Forster (if fit) and Livermore may get in the starting XI. Lets hope Richards and Aninsah are allowed to play by Ipswich and Preston otherwise we will struggle to field 11 players and 5 subs!

Kuipers

Whing
Elphick
Hawkins
Livermore

Cox
Thomson
Virgo
Loft

Murray
Forster

plus;
Sullivan
El Abd
Fraser
Gargan
Robinson

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I cannot see any reason why Ipswich and PNE will not allow both Richards and Ayinsah to play as they obviously have no future at their parent club. If Charlton allow Fleetwood to play that would indicate the same for this season at least for him and Charlton. If the speculation linking Johnstone to a £1.5m move to either QPR, Cardiff or Southampton is to be believed Leeds will not allow him to play so as to up his value.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Scores for Brighton players against in-form Championship side Derby.

Sullivan - 5- looked a clear foul to me for the first, even Derby looked surprised when it was given. Not the day for long kicks with Murray an unfit and unsuitable target man.

Whing - 6 - neat and tidy. Getting his form back?
Elphick - 7 - looked really good. Nothing wrong with his goal.
Hawkins - 6 - at fault for the second. Good headers in first half but faded badly. Not a donkey as some suggest but he struggled to handle Championship players pace when we were pressing forward and thin at the back.
Richards - 4 - Funny game - at times they doubled up on him and the tactic worked, the fact that everything came down their right tells a tale. He'll be back.

Thomson - 6 - in and out of the game. Looked diminutive in stature and command at times. Another who tends to go AWOL at times.
Thornton - 8 - really worried Derby until his fitness gave up - clearly still not quite match fir. That tiredness caused the weird foul throws I suspect. A star in midfield.
Anyinsah - 6 - promised much, delivered little. He's teetering - I hope he goes forward and doesn't fall back.
Cox - 6 - good first half, poor second half. Can't fault his effort. Stay on the wing Coxy.

Murray - 7 - asked to do a Peter Crouch and it's not his game. Will have better games.
Fleetwood - 6 - worried Derby in first half, worked out in the second.

Michel - 10, for pretending to "clip" the linesman during his warm up after I shouted at him from D block.

Overall a creditable performance where every player would have had at least one more point if we converted one or two early on. We wouldn't have been chasing the game and they would have been leaving gaps. If we'd put in the goal line clearance and the "offside" goal that MA is adamant was not offside, this could easily have been 4-2 to us. Nothing to be down about - not nearly as bad a performance as people are saying. That quality in League One and we'd be in the play-offs.

Pointed out to my son after 10 minutes that the difference between L1 and Championship is the quality of the finishing and thus it proved to be. Derby fan on the radio reckoned we played really well and they were nervous. Game went AWOL when we were chasing the game at 3-1, prior to that we did ourselves justice, shame we didn't take some of our chances.

I agree with all of the above. Except my view from the family stand showed quite clearly that Sullivan spilt it for their first and so I think the goal was right to stand as there was no foul committed on him either.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
I cannot see any reason why Ipswich and PNE will not allow both Richards and Ayinsah to play as they obviously have no future at their parent club. If Charlton allow Fleetwood to play that would indicate the same for this season at least for him and Charlton. If the speculation linking Johnstone to a £1.5m move to either QPR, Cardiff or Southampton is to be believed Leeds will not allow him to play so as to up his value.

Ipswich have now given permission for Richards to play
The club still waiting for clearance for Anyinsah from Preston
Thornton, Fleetwood and Johnson not available

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing

That's about right but I do think that Kuipers would have come out to punch the ball rather than try to catch it. Although I often think he does this too much - when a catch would have been better - he would have probably cleared the danger this time.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
That's about right but I do think that Kuipers would have come out to punch the ball rather than try to catch it. Although I often think he does this too much - when a catch would have been better - he would have probably cleared the danger this time.

Haven't seen their goal again on TV, but from where I was sitting in D block, the guy that scored looked off side when the ball was swung in.

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
Sullivan - 5
Whing - 7
Elphick - 8
Hawkins - 4
Richards - 4
Cox - 6
Thornton - 8
Thomson - 4
Anyinsah - 4
Murray -6
Fleetwood -5

1) Time for Virgo to replace Hawkins at centre back.
2) Give Livermore a run in the side in replace of Thomson.
3) Get Forster back as soon as we can, the heartbeat of the team IMO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here