Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion v Sheffield Wednesday - All your comments here!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Superb Albion, excellent result

Beefy

Jul 5, 2003
bed
Best performance of the season.When we kept it on the floor we were completely on top against an overrated Sheffield Wednesday side.

Well done lads.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The good thing about today was that it was the same as second half against Chesterfield - we are creating chances to score.

Could well have been 4/5 - 0 if we had taken some of them.

But the point is creating them - it means you are in with a chance to win, something that was clearly lacking last Saturday at Colchester.

Beefy

Jul 5, 2003
bed
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
Hmmm... FDM in goal = clean sheet for first time in ages. Could there by some chance be a connection?

Still though, yay.

Tuesday,ages ago? :D

oapdodge

Jul 15, 2003
Good result ,Good 3 points,Played better.Should have had it rapped up by halftime.Out on the piss tonight.Good day all round.
:clap: :clap: :drink: :drink: :drink:

Jul 7, 2003
swindon, wilts
Far better display, I tipped 3-0, could have been 5-0.
Very solid at the back with Butters & Cullip. Still not sure on Henderson he doesn't seem very mobile.
Leon's goal was very well taken, he was taken off injured after a late tackle that the ref failed to see!!! hope he's OK.
FDM looked solid and made a good save in the first half.
Lets hope we can keep this new found form up, because this league is poor, and won't take a lot of wiining.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
:( i got on wrong score on ptb but :banana: anyway - we had 3 minutes of injury time at the end of each half !

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Loen Knight, goal of the season :p

Great effort, and we are 2nd :D

Still don't believe Harts shot didn't go in :lolol:

marvelous :clap:

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
I thought overall we looked much better today. I see on the official site Coppell is talking about how the Albion raise their game against the better sides, but we are second so hopefully we can produce more performances like today.

I thought we were very good for the first half an hour of today’s game, and I thought the man principally responsible for this was Rodger in midfield who was getting stuck in and distributing the ball well although unfortunately he tailed off as the game progressed. Indeed through out the game I thought we looked strong down the middle with Oatway having a decent game and partnering Rodger well, and in central defence Cullip and Butters did well too. I thought if Wednesday did have any threat it was on the odd occasion they attacked down the wings. I thought Leon did well too. Kuipers made some important stops, but his kicking is still at times erratic, but it was certainly good to have him back. I thought the real weak link again today was Henderson who did not look interested, carried no goal threat and most of our attacks petered out once he became involved.

Having said that at times my eyes seemed to be deceiving me today, as I could have sworn at the time that Hart had thumped in an excellent strike soon after Leon’s goal. And it also seemed to me too that Leon went down in the box in the first half then three Wednesday players appeared to attack him without the ref intervening.

Indeed I thought we had another poor ref today. Second half I thought we should have had a penalty when one of their players had both hands on an Albion player to restrict his movement. Also thought Knight going down injured might have got a foul. Not to mention the incident we finally scored from, where although we did get a free kick eventually, I thought McPhee got fouled a couple of times before the ref blew up.

Overall I thought a much-improved performance where we got the ball down more and passed with a number of players today hitting the form we have come to expect from them. And all this against a team that will certainly be in contention I would imagine for automatic promotion.
:clap: :clap2: :clap: :)

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
What a great day for Sussex sport. For only the third time in their history the Albion managed to beat, what turned out to be a second-rate, Sheffield Wednesday. The atmosphere at Withdean was the best it had been all season, and the mood was quickly rewarded by a terrific goal from Leon Knight following an incisive ball from the back by Kerry Mayo, who was quick to spot the speedy strikers run. Knight was a constant thorn in his former employers side, and good work from him on the edge of the area led to Gary Hart thundering a twenty yard shot against the crossbar. Michel Kuipers, who was given a warm welcome back to Brighton by the Withdean faithful had little to do, but saved well from a rare close range effort. During half-time the crowd rose to it's feet to applaud the Sussex Cricket team who paraded the County Championship around an ecstatic Withdean. The crowd expected, and the second-half produced another solid display. Chances to put the game well out of reach came and went, Henderson missing a slide-rule cross from Knight, and Knight himself heading a Charlie Oatway free kick wide when it seemed easier to score. Sheffield Wednesday were more content to kick the ball into touch than to actually attack, and their only further contribution to the game was to injure Leon Knight, who was ably replaced by the lively Chris McPhee. McPhee was soon involved and his final shot ended up in the net after a frenetic scramble in the Wednesday goalmouth had seen Guy Butters crash a shot against the bar, and another close range effort cleared off the line. A good day on the South Coast, Albion go second with 17 points behind Port Vale on 19.

Last edited:

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I said 2-0, I told you so, I was right, I can see the future!!!
Seriously, brilliant result, but I don't think I was alone in my sense of relief when the 2nd goal went in. You could see the team relax & pass it around. The period before the goal some players were treating the ball like a hot spud.
What a quality day though.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
Hmmm... FDM in goal = clean sheet for first time in ages. Could there by some chance be a connection?

No, he had very little to do - Sheffield Wednesday made hardly any shots at goal. He only had about two saves to make! OK performance though, but no better than Roberts at his best!.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
just seen leons goal-

SSSSSSSSSSWWWWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Fran Hagarty said:
No, he had very little to do - Sheffield Wednesday made hardly any shots at goal. He only had about two saves to make! OK performance though, but no better than Roberts at his best!.

Are you fecking joking? The save he made in the 1st half from about 5/6 yards was outstanding. Certainly felt alot more confident having him in goal than i have been seeing Roberts perform.

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
So, one "outstanding" saves makes him a better keeper does it? I don't think so! Roberts may have been a little shaky recently, but people have short memories, he too has put in some very good performances. I'd like to have them both on our books, if we can afford it. Kupiers hardly had a save to make today but he did well, I never said he didn't!

Little to add to what has already been written. This was easily our best performance of the season. What is it with Brighton? Throughout the years we've struggled against the so called poorer teams whilst lifting our game against teams at on paper, we should struggle against. Yesterday was no exception. Great to see FDM back in goal. Starting the season with Roberts was the correct decision, But prior to his injury, he'd started looking an excentric liability. providing he stays fit, there's no reason why FDM should lose his place. When I first saw Henderson, I quite liked the look of him. Now, I'm not convinced he's the ideal partner for Knight. He seems a yard short of pace for a striker. Man of the match for me yesterday: Adam Hinshelwood. He's really developing in to a quality defender. Sure, he's not the complete product yet, but he's well worth his place in the team at present. lets hope LK stays as fired up for the rest of the season as he was yesterday!! You get the idea Chris Turner & himself don't care much for each other! :rolleyes:

In the end we got what we deserved from the game for all the chances we created. Only back spot for me yesterday was the ungracious booing of Sussex CCC by the stupid northern twats. What is it about 'some' people from Yorkshire? Are they all Ignorant inbred bigots or is it just the one's I've met????

Last edited:

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Much better than Tuesday - everyone played fairly well but I'm still not convinced about Henderson who seems to lack pace and confidence.

Sheffield Wednesday were poor, but this was a significant improvement on the Colchester performance.

Keep it up lads - nice to see Michel back.

Too hungover to really appreciate the game, but thought FDM was back where he belonged! Made an excellent save as well.

Knight was brilliant. He does tend to dive a bit, but I thought he deserved the penalty (and a sending off for the guy who kicked him when he was down).

Generally thought we played quite well. Godd in the first half, but scrappy in the 2nd. When we tried to pass the ball instead of long ball, we played better and more stylish. We should keep to that!

Wednesday do not look like a team threatening for promotion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here