Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion v Palace Rivalry

Anyone remember the newspapers panning us with the start of the "Seagulls!" chant ?

They thought we were chanting "Sieg Heil" especially as it was often accompanied with a Nazi style arm salute by the Albion masses :lolol:

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
There is evidence of the rivalry in the early 1900's. There is a picture on the front of the BHA Historical Magazine, with a Brighton fan about to be assaulted with a CPFC Scummer holding a club. Sorry don't have image to hand, but someone might.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
The Palace turned up.....that was enough.

Not really. To us, it was "just another friendly" and not many went. Palarse came in numbers for a trip to the seaside, and took liberties.

That was not really the start of the real hatred though. That started after an OTT kicking for a few Brighton fans that a big mod of Palarse cornered after a cup replay at Scumhurst. We went after them for revenge to get even, next time we played, as the few were well-connected. The rest is history.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Point 2 I'm sure is correct. We were originally 'The Dolphins' and responded to Palace's Eagles chant with 'Seagulls', which then led to us changing to 'The Seagulls'.
'Cos seagulls shit on eagles :D

Think I prefer Seagulls to Dolphins TBH

P1120765 (Small).JPG

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
This is one for the old farts amongst us (with affection of course!:smile:).
I have been asked many times how our rivalry started and in my view, it was the game at the Goldstone in Feb.1976 which we won 2-0.

1) Am I right in believing that Mike Bamber instructed all the Albion directors to wear Fedora hats as a piss-take against Malcolm Allison's (then Palace manager) attire?

2) Was this the first time that the Albion adopted the SEAGULLS chant in response to Palace's Eagles?

Please forgive me if this has all been explained before.

Started before then, 1st game of the season in 74 there were running battles inside and outside the ground.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Maybe it started earlier but the mullery incident definaltly inflamed it . Even after not playing you lot in a long time the feeling i felt before the 5-0 game was something you cant manufacture or hype . Dont be fooled , the feeling you feel before our games wont be matched by anyone else . BTW , a question from years gone by , why did you come up to selhurst one year all wearing red tops ? never could figure that one out !

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
Maybe it started earlier but the mullery incident definaltly inflamed it . Even after not playing you lot in a long time the feeling i felt before the 5-0 game was something you cant manufacture or hype . Dont be fooled , the feeling you feel before our games wont be matched by anyone else . BTW , a question from years gone by , why did you come up to selhurst one year all wearing red tops ? never could figure that one out !

I think that was 76/77 season, Palace were wearing their "sash" strip that year which was predominately white. Would therefore have clashed, sort of, with our blue&white stripes. Maybe wrong though, long time ago.

Joe Nobody

Dec 27, 2008
Hove
The rivalry was alive and well a few years before Stamford Bridge. A game when we took so many we got given the Shed. Says it all from that Era.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
I think that was 76/77 season, Palace were wearing their "sash" strip that year which was predominately white. Would therefore have clashed, sort of, with our blue&white stripes. Maybe wrong though, long time ago.

No , the fans were wearing them , a small mob down the bottom of the whitehorse next to the arthur .

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Possibly, I've had it for years, got a white silk 'Dolphins' scarf somewhere too.

You've just reminded me, I was having a look at an old shirts website and found a 1930's blue/white/red Albion top. A few quid but I reckon I'll buy it. I'll see if I can find the link...

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
You've just reminded me, I was having a look at an old shirts website and found a 1930's blue/white/red Albion top. A few quid but I reckon I'll buy it. I'll see if I can find the link...

Not much evidence of us with the red, blue and white shirt TOFFS have been selling.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
In front of me, I have a Best of Foul (remember that, the precursor of the fanzine) and at the back fans were invited to fill in which team they hated. I still have it and the fact that I filled in and crossed out three times suggests that it wasn't easy to think who Brighton's big rivals were. When I note that none of the three teams were Palace, it doesn't look like there was a deeply-held hatred there. (the three I put in BTW were Portsmouth, Orient and Fulham, for some weird reason)

This is from the 74/75 season, so it seems that the rivalry must have started after that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here