Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion STILL losing money

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
If you take a look at Insider's (very detailed) response to the Ticket Exchange query, he says the club are still losing money despite the rise in income following the move to the Amex.

Looks as if rumours that TB was hacked off with the spend, spend, spend mentality on non-playing issues have proved to be correct, or are we paying silly wages for some players?

Feb 14, 2010
this is not news and why the previous chief exec left. It also shows the power of the punter. The club can introduce whatever ticketing and sitting down rules that they want. But my job as punter is then to say, "thanks but no thanks". I went to a concert instead of Charlton away because they made it difficult to get a ticket. Charlton had 10,000 empty seats. Their choice and my choice.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Who made it difficult to buy a ticket? I found it easy, as did over 3300 others. And others I know were in the home end, so that wasn't a problem either.

Looking for problems where there aren't any.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
this is not news and why the previous chief exec left. It also shows the power of the punter. The club can introduce whatever ticketing and sitting down rules that they want. But my job as punter is then to say, "thanks but no thanks". I went to a concert instead of Charlton away because they made it difficult to get a ticket. Charlton had 10,000 empty seats. Their choice and my choice.

The Albion don't get any money from away league games except a very small commission for selling tickets.

Paul Barber indicated this (ie we're running at an operational loss) when he was on the Albion Roar earlier in the season. Clearly the transport arrangments cost the club something well into seven figures (Martin Perry) but the 2011/12 accounts will prove interesting reading in March, although those in March 2014 possibly more so when Barber's impact can be seen.

Buckley's Mad Eye

Oct 27, 2012
If we're still losing money despite having 25k+ crowds every (other) week it probably tells you all you need to know about player wages.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
If you take a look at Insider's (very detailed) response to the Ticket Exchange query, he says the club are still losing money despite the rise in income following the move to the Amex.

Looks as if rumours that TB was hacked off with the spend, spend, spend mentality on non-playing issues have proved to be correct, or are we paying silly wages for some players?

Shouldn't be wages as TB must have the final yay or nay on them - if we are overspending on them then it must be with his say so.

Goes to show though how difficult it is for a club to be competitive and operate at a profit/break even these days.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Brilliant. Nothing like a bit of unfounded speculation and scaremongering

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Who made it difficult to buy a ticket? I found it easy, as did over 3300 others. And others I know were in the home end, so that wasn't a problem either.

Looking for problems where there aren't any.

I was in F block and had an absolute fantastic day out-

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Do you have a link on the money bit El pres? please-thanks

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If we're losing money, that means that the biggest outgoing the club has is the loan repayments to TB, so even if we are "losing money" I wouldn't read too much into it.

The club is (obviously) in an extremely healthy state indeed, with the highest revenue in the league and (apparently) only the 8th highest playing budget.

Are we making payments yet?

D

Deleted member 22389

If we're still losing money despite having 25k+ crowds every (other) week it probably tells you all you need to know about player wages.

Wonder what other businesses get 25,000 customers every fortnight and manage to lose money. Crazy situation. Only in football this is happening. Your right player wages are killing clubs up and down this country.

Wonder what sort of loses Premiership clubs are running at even with the big TV payouts, QPR as an example.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
If we're losing money, that means that the biggest outgoing the club has is the loan repayments to TB, so even if we are "losing money" I wouldn't read too much into it.

The club is (obviously) in an extremely healthy state indeed, with the highest revenue in the league and (apparently) only the 8th highest playing budget.

Loan repayments?

Feb 14, 2010
The Albion don't get any money from away league games except a very small commission for selling tickets.

I didnt say they did. But they are p!ssing off thousands of punters with a bizarre hissy fit on teenagers who want to bounce up and down in the north stand. And Charlton failed to sell 10,000 seats and had many punters like myself who couldnt get in because they had a rigid one end policy that restricted how many tickets they would give Brighton. Both are the clubs choices and I, and others will make our decisions. If football is not easy to go to, then I will do something else. If I was still a teenager and I couldnt be boistrous at football, then I also doubt that i would have bothered going. It doesnt take much to get these things right, but there we are

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes, I remember reading that the full amount of 123m was due around 2025, presumably it works like any other loan in that it is being repaid monthly. Really TB wants it back ASAP, as it is interest free he will be losing money on it as every month passes. I suspect it is the clubs biggest outgoing at this point.

Tony Bloom put aside the money and ring fenced it. He even stated that if anything happened to him, his family couldn't claim it. He did it for the love of the Albion, not because he wanted to make a profit. I would be very surprised if we had started making payments to him yet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here