Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion sign Joe O'Cearuil

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Tyrone Biggums said:
I thought with a name like that for sure we had signed some Irish Kid from St Pats Athletic.

he's played for Ireland under 21s

(from official site)

Albion have today signed Arsenal defender Joe O'Cearuill for a month's loan, and the 19-year-old central defender will be available for the FA Cup third-round tie at West Ham on Saturday.

Although he has yet to make his full debut for the Gunners, O'Cearuill - pronounced "O'Carroll" - did feature in Dennis Bergkamp's testimonial match in the summer. He has also represented the Republic Of Ireland at under-21 and B level.

Albion manager Dean Wilkins is delighted to have acquired the physical, pacey defender. He said, "Joe is somebody that we've seen over the course of this season. I've seen him a couple of times, Dean White has seen him and Martin Hinshelwood saw him in a B international.

"We've got to a stage where we haven't secured Andrew Whing, and with Adam Hinshelwood being injured we needed to act quickly to get somebody in to strengthen the squad."

Wilkins also admits he would have no fears about throwing O'Cearuill in at the deep end when the Seagulls take on Premiership West Ham at the weekend.

"We can play him in the FA Cup, so we're thinking about that now.

"It would be an incredible place for him to start, but probably not too strange for him in some respects.

"What I mean by that is he has been training with the first team at Arsenal, so he has been playing against Freddie Ljungberg and Thierry Henry. He has been facing players of that calibre.

"The occasion will be big, but I think the quality of the players he will be facing won't be too big a surprise for him."

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Tom Hark said:
How's O'Cearuil pronounced?

- O'Cheerio?

- O'Cereal?

- O'Surreal?

WELL? ???

O'Cayrool or similar would be the closest if its pronounced as it would be in Irish (its O'Carroll when anglicised normally, and thats pronounced as you'd expect)

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Black and Irish, lethal combination.

o'cearuill0607.jpg

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Yorkie said:
he's played for Ireland under 21s

(from official site)

Albion have today signed Arsenal defender Joe O'Cearuill for a month's loan, and the 19-year-old central defender will be available for the FA Cup third-round tie at West Ham on Saturday.

Although he has yet to make his full debut for the Gunners, O'Cearuill - pronounced "O'Carroll" - did feature in Dennis Bergkamp's testimonial match in the summer. He has also represented the Republic Of Ireland at under-21 and B level.

Albion manager Dean Wilkins is delighted to have acquired the physical, pacey defender. He said, "Joe is somebody that we've seen over the course of this season. I've seen him a couple of times, Dean White has seen him and Martin Hinshelwood saw him in a B international.

"We've got to a stage where we haven't secured Andrew Whing, and with Adam Hinshelwood being injured we needed to act quickly to get somebody in to strengthen the squad."

Wilkins also admits he would have no fears about throwing O'Cearuill in at the deep end when the Seagulls take on Premiership West Ham at the weekend.

"We can play him in the FA Cup, so we're thinking about that now.

"It would be an incredible place for him to start, but probably not too strange for him in some respects.

"What I mean by that is he has been training with the first team at Arsenal, so he has been playing against Freddie Ljungberg and Thierry Henry. He has been facing players of that calibre.

"The occasion will be big, but I think the quality of the players he will be facing won't be too big a surprise for him."

Thanks for that.

I did expect another ginger when i saw the name.

Marky

Well...
Mar 3, 2006
WR1
Adriodinho said:
have you seen him play then?

I have!

Seen Arsenal reserves a couple of times this season, saw him alongside Clichy and Senderos and he didn't look too out of place.

From what i remember he's quite quick, strong and decent in the air which is pretty much what you want from a centre back, had a slight tendency to try Hollywood passes which is ok if they come off!

More importantly he's already scored against West Ham at upton park earlier this season - he basically deflected someone elses shot towards goal, though i'll take one of those this Saturday! :clap2: :clap2:

junior said:
How the feck do you pronounce "O Crearuil"?
Ah, knew this would cause a blip on your anti-Irish radar :lolol:

It's one of the rarer Gaelic versions of O'Carroll or Carroll (as in the West Ham keeper, O just means "son of")

It's a very ancient Irish name which has its roots in the word "slaughter" :p or "warlike champion". Once upon a time in the 3rd century, they were kings of Munster :clap:

Think the proper Gaelic pronounciation is "ookaroo" but we're a long way from Tipperary......

Anyway, our new boy is Joe "son of warlike champion" - beat that Fed for a FLAIR name :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
The Complete Badger said:
That, my friend, is f***ing BRILLIANT! I like him already. Come on the Son of a warlike Champion:clap2:

Good looking, flair and warlike. What more could we want.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
SJ's Love Monkey said:
Him to be able to play the game?! ;)
:dunce:
I knew there was something I forgot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here