Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion Man of the Match

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Depends. Is the ability to award the MotM a deal-breaker for the sponsors? If they didn't have that right would people still sponsor games? I don't know the answer to this.

And we might get more than 5,000. I just picked a figure at random. Say we charged 80p and took 50p of that and had 8.000 people voting - that's £4000 a week. Or we could have 500 people voting and don't make enough for Vicente's medical bills. One big incentive could be away supporters voting - if we want to outvote them, that would be encouragement to vote early and often.

I'd have thought it was worth a trial - if it's a flop, then don't do it, but it could be a decent revenue stream for the club.

As I mentioned earlier on it could be added to make a player of the month or go towards the player of the season. We could offer it for away games too.

I think its a money spinner

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Read my mind! I agree, why not have an NSC MOTM?!

I've done it on a couple of occasions when I felt the official MotM was way off.

What I've wanted to do for a while is a way of doing fully hosted player ratings. By that I mean there would be a thread that has a poll-like addition at the top. Each player is listed and you have to give each and every player a score from 1-10 before you can submit.

These would then be tallied to produce a MoTM and then subsequently aggregated to do a Player of the month and then, ultimately, player of the season. We might look to award a bottle of champagne, or similar, to each player of the month, and we'd buy a trophy and look to have some NSCers present the award.

Unfortunately there's no standard way of doing this in vBulletin and despite putting out a call to pay a developer to build a plugin for us, no-one has been forthcoming yet. I'll look to get something in place for 2012-13 onwards.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I've done it on a couple of occasions when I felt the official MotM was way off.

What I've wanted to do for a while is a way of doing fully hosted player ratings. By that I mean there would be a thread that has a poll-like addition at the top. Each player is listed and you have to give each and every player a score from 1-10 before you can submit.

These would then be tallied to produce a MoTM and then subsequently aggregated to do a Player of the month and then, ultimately, player of the season. We might look to award a bottle of champagne, or similar, to each player of the month, and we'd buy a trophy and look to have some NSCers present the award.

Unfortunately there's no standard way of doing this in vBulletin and despite putting out a call to pay a developer to build a plugin for us, no-one has been forthcoming yet. I'll look to get something in place for 2012-13 onwards.

I could do it pretty simply if it sits outside of vBulletin. Haven't looked at the vBulletin plugin architecture before though.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I could do it pretty simply if it sits outside of vBulletin. Haven't looked at the vBulletin plugin architecture before though.

It would need to be within vBulletin, and the MySQL DB that sits behind it, in order to require NSC membership and ensure each member only votes once etc.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
It would need to be within vBulletin, and the MySQL DB that sits behind it, in order to require NSC membership and ensure each member only votes once etc.

Of course we dont want any ACCUSATIONS of vote rigging do we!

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton

Yeah I presumed that'd be the issue. MySQL isn't an issue, I use it anyway (in fact queries are sitting on my other screen right now). If I get a moment this week I'll have a look at vBulletin and see if it'd be something I could work with. The actual backend architecture seems like it would be simple (you could do some fun stuff with the presentation too), but it's the building it into vBulletin bit I don't know about.

Be a good experience for me regardless, the more you know etc...

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
LOVING how this thread has diverged in to two distinct but concurrent topics:

1) The mechanics of building a plugin within/distinct from vBulletin and,
2) The merits of the term "frothing at the gash."

Bravo again, NSC!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yeah I presumed that'd be the issue. MySQL isn't an issue, I use it anyway (in fact queries are sitting on my other screen right now). If I get a moment this week I'll have a look at vBulletin and see if it'd be something I could work with. The actual backend architecture seems like it would be simple (you could do some fun stuff with the presentation too), but it's the building it into vBulletin bit I don't know about.

Be a good experience for me regardless, the more you know etc...

There are ways of building hooks into the vBulletin authentication system. vbulletin.org would be a useful resource as the home of vBulletin modifications.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
I had to select a man-of-the-match a couple of seasons ago. I'll be honest with you... i pretty much knew who was getting that award BEFORE the game had even started! My number 1 favourite player was getting that award, no matter how well or badly he played.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
There are ways of building hooks into the vBulletin authentication system. vbulletin.org would be a useful resource as the home of vBulletin modifications.

Yes, I assumed it would be hooks (similar to WordPress). I'll have a look into it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here