Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion Man of the Match

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I think the sponsors are asked to choose their ALBION man of the match; hence the title. If they picked an away player they wouldn't have that little walk up that they do on the big screen when its announced :)

I have been to games where we've played so gash that the sponsors have picked a joke player to get it (Kerry Mayo at Priestfield, or the time Richie Barker got it despite being on the pitch for only 20 minutes because his landlord sponsored the game).

I would like the idea of a text vote after the game to see the fans man of the match - perhaps the points could be tallied and it would help choose the player of the month and then ultimately the season? That would be a cool income stream.

I remember at home against Yeovil when we lost 2-1 and we chose George O Callaghan as MoM and he scarpered off the pitch without collecting his bottle as he had been disgusted with the performance. bet he would run much faster away from a bottle of bubbly now?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
And I doubt the away team hang around long enough to be 'presented' with the champagne.

Sky MoM can be the away team. I remember Gerrard accepting the bottle for Bellamy in our Carling Cup game. It was Gerrard because of the Noone roofing story.

Lush

Mods' Pet
About eight years ago, I emailed Martin Perry with the suggestion that Albion fans voted for MotM via mobile - I'd just interviewed a company that provided the voting software. The club could charge something like 60p a pop (30p for the software provider) and if 5,000 people voted, there'd be £1500 for the club every game. On top of that, the MotM would better reflect the actual game.

I didn't get a reply :( another bright idea bit the dust.

IIRC, the company also supplied software to a Finnish team where fans could vote for a player to be substituted and another come on - that would be really radical (can't see Gus going for that one though :) )

I would imagine the figures don't quite stack up. 5,000 is quite a lot and it would take the shine off the Sponsors MOM (after all they're paying for their mention and their moment in the spotlight).

Cool idea though.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Funny thing about Saturday was just as Bridcutt's name was announced he put in an iffy challenge and a few in the North Stand thought he was about to be sent-off!

"And the sponsors Man of the Match is...... just heading for an early bath"

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I would imagine the figures don't quite stack up. 5,000 is quite a lot and it would take the shine off the Sponsors MOM (after all they're paying for their mention and their moment in the spotlight).

Cool idea though.

Yeah, I'd think they make more than £1,500 from the sponsors and I doubt they'd be willing to share.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Greer should of got it on saturday but saying that I thought Drinkwater for them looked a great player

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Also, why do they HAVE to give it to a goalscorer (if any goals are scored)? Such a basic way of looking at the game.

Remember McGhee's shameful 5-1 capitulation to Stoke? They gave MoM to Doug Loft even though he'd only been on the pitch 30 minutes and scored with the most pitiful daisy-cutter of a shot you are ever likely to see. Embarrassing. Sponsors should have withheld the award on principle and drank the bubbly themselves :lol:

D

Deleted User X18H

I suppose this applies to any sponsor of any match.

When the sponsors of a match award Man of the Match, why must they give it to one of the home side? If a player from the opposing side has basically run the show, played brilliantly (or even just 'played well'), what's wrong with giving the award to them?

Not really got my head around this one...

Mainly because the MOM turns up in the BUPA lounge to collect his award from the sponsor, after the match.

I don't think an opposing player in the photo of the board room wall is what most sponsors want. Is it?

Pretty much a no brainer I think.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Mainly because the MOM turns up in the BUPA lounge to collect his award from the sponsor, after the match.

Best we avoid ever giving Vicente the MOTM award then. Get him in the BUPA lounge and we'd never get him out of it.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Also, why do they HAVE to give it to a goalscorer (if any goals are scored)? Such a basic way of looking at the game.

I'm sorry but against Newcastle Adam El Abd WAS the MotM all day long.

I'm sure it's gone to more than once in matches where he hasn't scored. He had a good run of MotM wins early in the season.

It's annoying that it rarely goes to defenders or keepers (not just us either, generally). I mean Brezovan is absolutely brilliant in some matches, but is very unlikely to win MotM.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
From my experience of the two or three times I was part of the match sponsorhip we were usually too pissed to remember anything other than the goal scorer. Another time Andy crosby was chosen just because Bobby Zamora always seemed to get them :)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Cool idea though.
Depends. Is the ability to award the MotM a deal-breaker for the sponsors? If they didn't have that right would people still sponsor games? I don't know the answer to this.

And we might get more than 5,000. I just picked a figure at random. Say we charged 80p and took 50p of that and had 8.000 people voting - that's £4000 a week. Or we could have 500 people voting and don't make enough for Vicente's medical bills. One big incentive could be away supporters voting - if we want to outvote them, that would be encouragement to vote early and often.

I'd have thought it was worth a trial - if it's a flop, then don't do it, but it could be a decent revenue stream for the club.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
From my experience of the two or three times I was part of the match sponsorhip we were usually too pissed to remember anything other than the goal scorer. Another time Andy crosby was chosen just because Bobby Zamora always seemed to get them :)

Ha! I can't help but feel that's very common ;)

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
IIRC, the company also supplied software to a Finnish team where fans could vote for a player to be substituted and another come on - that would be really radical (can't see Gus going for that one though :) )

Could you imagine that with some of the GOONS on here

'And in the 5th minute Brighton make their third and final substitution :facepalm:' :lol:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Could you imagine that with some of the GOONS on here

'And in the 5th minute Brighton make their third and final substitution :facepalm:' :lol:

:lol:

I seem to remember that the fans could only do one substitute and an hour had to have passed

But yes, it would be inviting disaster ...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here