Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion Legends a matter of debate?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Not sure if a lot of names being mentioned on here really qualify for legendary status. " Legend " is very special and really should be reserved for players and managers that stand the test of time, are always remembered and in the whole history of the club have a stand-out place. Not popular players from a particular vintage. Around the country certain clubs have statues of legends. Legends that most football fans around the country are aware of. Some of the biggest clubs in the country can count their legends on the fingers of one hand and yet on here, we are reading all manner of names.
If we could have one statue at Brighton who would we choose? There is no outstanding candidate. There would be arguments for months. It is the lot of a smaller club. Plenty of potential candidates but no one or two with outstanding claims. If you ask me who is worthy of a mention in dispatches I would say three managers...Billy Lane, Alan Mullery and Chris Hughton and amongst players, Tommy Cook, Bert Stephens, Eric Gill, Norman Gall, Peter O'Sullivan, Peter Ward, Bobby Zamora, Glenn Murray and Lewis Dunk. Are any of them actually legendary or deserving of acclaimed status or even a statue? I'm not sure.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If we could have one statue at Brighton who would we choose? There is no outstanding candidate. T.

As I said in my post, Charlie Webb is absolutely the outstanding candidate. Forty years at the club, our first international player and scorer of the goal in our only major trophy marks him way ahead of anyone else. I'm not sure what your defintion of 'outstanding candidate' is if he doesn't qualify

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I guess it's all about the definition of legend. For example to me Mark Farrington is a legend as worst player to wear the shirt (just edging Ashley Neale).

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Not that it’s necessarily clear cut, but Vicente was one of the best players in the world around 2004.

Winning 38 caps for Spain also no mean feat, and would have been much more if it weren’t for injury.

I’d personally say Vicente was the more talented of the two. Both undoubtedly exceptional players.

Big Nuts clearly in a nice way I have to take issue you with you old boy 😂

Lawrenson was a first choice player in arguably the best club side in the world, injury robbed him of appearances at Euro 88 and Italia 90, where he potentially could have played in a Quarter Final against Italy. At the level I believe he would have proved himself to be a world class player, however good Vincente was, he was never in that catergory. 👍

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Needs to be a short list.
Should be players universally liked and respected by the fans AND with significant achievements whilst with the club.

On that basis, my list from the 50 years I've been watching is:

Ward
Sully
Horton
Foster
Nelson
Zamora
Bruno
Murray
Dunk

From someone who has been watching the Albion for the same period of time can I say nice list and can I add Alex Dawson, Ian Mellor, Graham Moseley & Mark Lawrenson, :albion2:

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Ward, Zamora, Murray for me. Legendary for their achievements. Cult heroes we've had a few, but then again, too few to mention.

If we were to put a "holy trinity" statue outside The Amex, a la Manure, then I think it would be these three.

Last edited:

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Maybe we are looking at it wrong.
Maybe the only legend is the club.
It's the legend of Brighton and Hove Albion and everyone,players,staff,owners,fans,managers are all play their part in making the legend.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
There are only two Brighton legends in my time supporting the club (late 80s)

Lewis Dunk and Bobby Zamora

You can't go throwing the word legend around willy nilly.

Legend means just that. Fathers will whisper tales of their heroic deeds to their sons for generations to come.

We've had other wonderful players in this time. Kuipers, Bruno, Nelson, Knocky, Muzza ...... Several from our current squad. Only two players who Brighton fans will still speak of in 100 years though.

Agree. As I'm older, I would immediately add Kit Napier, Dave Turner, Eddie Spearitt, Sir Normal Gall, and the biggest lege of all in my book, Peter O'Sullivan.

Older folk may add Adrian Thorne, albeit he didn't play many games. He's still alive apparently.

I would also include Muzza, though. And Wardy.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Big Nuts clearly in a nice way I have to take issue you with you old boy 😂

Lawrenson was a first choice player in arguably the best club side in the world, injury robbed him of appearances at Euro 88 and Italia 90, where he potentially could have played in a Quarter Final against Italy. At the level I believe he would have proved himself to be a world class player, however good Vincente was, he was never in that catergory. 👍

Vicente was a footballing genius - Lawrenson was a very good player but nowhere near that level (IMO) also his lack of interest in Brighton really denies a legendary status. Zamora, Ward, Murray are all better candidates not just for their football exploits but more for their love of and contribution to the club of teh field (some might question the last one). Dunk is there as well , local lad with intense passion for the club and links with the fans over the last 7 years and consistently one of if not our best player who drives the whole team. I can't speak for many other players , what people say about Charlie Webb certainly make him a great candidate and a statue (or at least a blue canvass) could be considered.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I guess it's all about the definition of legend. For example to me Mark Farrington is a legend as worst player to wear the shirt (just edging Ashley Neale).

I'm not having that. Glenn Thomas. ???

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Vicente is notorious as being the most talented player to ever play for the Albion, therefore there is a legend there and furthermore, he is a legend.

He is not the best player we have had (maybe Lawro or Bissouma/Lamptey) and played very few games but in terms of world class players we have at this club, he had the most ability.

Legend definition.
an extremely famous or notorious person, especially in a particular field.
"the man was a living legend"

Isn't that 'flair'?

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
If Adam el Abd isn't a legend then any legends have to be more of a legend than Adam El Abd.

10 seasons
300+ appearances
Player of the season in 10/11 promotion season
International call up and caps
One of our own

You're absolutely right.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Vicente was a footballing genius - Lawrenson was a very good player but nowhere near that level (IMO) also his lack of interest in Brighton really denies a legendary status. Zamora, Ward, Murray are all better candidates not just for their football exploits but more for their love of and contribution to the club of teh field (some might question the last one). Dunk is there as well , local lad with intense passion for the club and links with the fans over the last 7 years and consistently one of if not our best player who drives the whole team. I can't speak for many other players , what people say about Charlie Webb certainly make him a great candidate and a statue (or at least a blue canvass) could be considered.

Sorry old boy, we are going to have to agree to differ, Lawrenson is the best player to ever pull on an Albion shirt in my lifetime.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
For me, Peter Ward from my time watching albion. He for me is the true ledge.

I think throughout the years, he was the one player that excited me when he played. His skill, pace, ability to score breathtaking goals and although his time with us was probably too short, I always look back with such affection for his contributions.

Zamora comes close, knocky, Glenn obviously, Steve Penney, lawrenson, Chippy Carpenter, Charlie oatway, Adam el abd Robbie reinelt, Stuart storer, Bruno, Steve foster, Brian Horton. Lots of players who can justifiably be called legends.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Sorry old boy, we are going to have to agree to differ, Lawrenson is the best player to ever pull on an Albion shirt in my lifetime.

Clearly. Vicente may have been a good player but he was past his best when he played for us whereas Lawrenson was reaching his peak.

I seriously doubt whether I'll ever see a player as good as Lawro turn out for Brighton again

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Clearly. Vicente may have been a good player but he was past his best when he played for us whereas Lawrenson was reaching his peak.

I seriously doubt whether I'll ever see a player as good as Lawro turn out for Brighton again

I had great hopes for Lamptey but I fear his hamstrings might be made of glass 😞

inland seagull

Aug 7, 2010
Northampton
Most of the promotion winning team of 1965 their memory linger on in my mind The best player in my opinion was Dave Turner , he rarely played a bad game and always gave his all. Most memorable moment was the equalising goal against Chelsea in the 1967 FA Cup tie at a paced Goldstone

Brian Powney was another who must have made many appearances as I recall, local lad and a very reliable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here