Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion Legends a matter of debate?

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009
Cannot talk about legends without including Kit Napier.
And, before my time, Tommy Cook would surely have counted too.
Would like to include also Peter O'Sullivan, Bruno and Calde.
Agree that Ward, Zamora and Murray must all be included.
These are the ones I'll remember and talk about anyway.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
There are only two Brighton legends in my time supporting the club (late 80s)

Lewis Dunk and Bobby Zamora

You can't go throwing the word legend around willy nilly.

Legend means just that. Fathers will whisper tales of their heroic deeds to their sons for generations to come.

We've had other wonderful players in this time. Kuipers, Bruno, Nelson, Knocky, Muzza ...... Several from our current squad. Only two players who Brighton fans will still speak of in 100 years though.

Murray has achieved as much for our club and arguably a lot more than Zamora. This isn’t a criticism in anyway of Zamora but you can’t claim he is a club legend and not include Murray.

Murray has scored more goals than Zamora, secured as many promotions including getting us to a higher level and keeping us there.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
For me, born 1980, legends are:

Reneilt
Mayo
Hart
Cullip
Zamora
Murray
Bruno
Dunk

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Gerry Ryan - obviously a legend. Anybody involved in the 1983 Cup Final is by definition a legend.

Gerry Ryan is exactly the sort of player who counts as a legend if anyone does. For one thing, he played over 150 games, scored one of the goals in the promotion clincher at Newcastle, appeared in the Cup Final and replay (out of position in the first game), and scored FA Cup goals in victories over Liverpool in both 83 and 84. His solo run almost the length of the field in a 4-1 win against Man City should almost guarantee his status by itself.

The broken leg at Selhurst, becoming Liam Brady's assistant manager and then becoming the landlord of the Witch Inn at Lindfield are almost incidental.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Can't believe the thread has gone this far without mentioning Calde :blush::love:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Not only is the term legend too commonly used and subjective to mean anything, it’s also misused.

There is no such thing as a BHA player ‘legend’

All existed. All can be proved as former players.

In debating these matters, it would help if people understood the meaning of the word... :)

Now who are Albions cult heroes, local heroes, greatest talents etc? That’s a debate from which a list can be created!

Legend

someone very famous and admired, usually because of their ability in a particular area:

Not my words Carol, those are the words of the Cambridge University Dictionary.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Glenn Murray, Peter Ward, Bruno, Bobby Zamora in that order. Steve Foster possibly, fantastic for us in both of his stints here. All of these however are trumped by Lewis 'most legendary of legends' Dunk for me.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Hugo old boy surely Lawrenson was a more talented footballer than Vincente?

He was a more talented defender no doubt. He was better in the air and had better defensive positioning and ability to read opposition attacks.

However, defending doesn’t win matches though, ultimately good defending gives you a draw, you need to then go and score a goal which for me, is the hardest thing in football.

Vincent’s creativity, passing, vision, shooting & dribbling was in a different league to Lawro.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Gerry Ryan is exactly the sort of player who counts as a legend if anyone does. For one thing, he played over 150 games, scored one of the goals in the promotion clincher at Newcastle, appeared in the Cup Final and replay (out of position in the first game), and scored FA Cup goals in victories over Liverpool in both 83 and 84. His solo run almost the length of the field in a 4-1 win against Man City should almost guarantee his status by itself.

The broken leg at Selhurst, becoming Liam Brady's assistant manager and then becoming the landlord of the Witch Inn at Lindfield are almost incidental.

Which makes Steve Foster a legend.

Nearly 300 games.

Captained the club in our first period of glory days and FA Cup final and then came back for some of our worst years.

Went to a World Cup as an Albion player.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
206244_18818056312_1796_n.jpg

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The Americans are very good at this sort of thing. Legends are for the pubs and concourses, official recognition is much better served by being called up to an 'Albion Hall Of Fame'.

Therefore, Vicente is a bona fide legend but doesn't not belong in the Albion Hall of Fame. This is all about racking up appearances, scoring goals, leadership, sustained excellence and influence, international recognition, winning Player of The Year from fans, teammates, delivering on the big occasion and helping advance the club.

Bracknell_Gull

Jul 4, 2011
Bracknell
For me, born 1980, legends are:

Reneilt
Mayo
Hart
Cullip
Zamora
Murray
Bruno
Dunk

Exactly this for me too. Cullip being a Bracknell lad put's him higher than perhaps he should be for me (and I'm very good friends with his cousin purely for meeting him whilst wearing my Cullip centenary shirt, so a personal bonus point there).

Mayo playing at all three pre-Amex home grounds, Hart for his ete watering transfer fee and tenure of service, Bobby for being, well Bobby. Murray WILL be still spoken about in 100 years time as our post war record goalscorer (and the notoriety of his stint up the road). Bruno and Dunk need no explanation.

Someone also mentioned Dick Knight previously and I agree that he (and Uncle Tony for that matter) get club legend status for me too.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Needs to be a short list.
Should be players universally liked and respected by the fans AND with significant achievements whilst with the club.

On that basis, my list from the 50 years I've been watching is:

Ward
Sully
Horton
Foster
Nelson
Zamora
Bruno
Murray
Dunk

Jul 20, 2003
If Adam el Abd isn't a legend then any legends have to be more of a legend than Adam El Abd.

10 seasons
300+ appearances
Player of the season in 10/11 promotion season
International call up and caps
One of our own

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Storer, Reinelt, Ward, Zamora, Gritt .... END OF !!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here