Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion fans rewritting history - McGhee

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Agree in part, but "Magoo would have just stood in the dug out with his arms folded" is a perfectly valid comment. He wasn't the most expressive of managers. Possibly being scottish he was worried that someone might try nicking his pocket watch. ???

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
McGhee gave us a few good times and i'll allways thank him for them. But the time came for him to go and he's gone. This is now the Wilkins era so lets get behind him and see where he takes us.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
THE ONLY MANAGER WHO DID NOT WALK OUT ON BRIGHTON FOR BETTER THINGS.

I think that bears repeating, even if perhaps not in all caps.

I am curious what grounds Happy Seagull would give for his assertion that McGhee is one of the most disloyal managers in football -- note he doesn't say Brighton -- history. Total lack of perspective.

Micky Adams left BHA for another women.

McGhee got divorced for the football equivalent of peeing in the sink, picking one's teeth with old envelopes, and being a pain in the ass to have around the house

Neither an exemplary husband, but no comparison.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Some supporters are pissed off with this attitude.

Beginning to sound like Leeds supporters.

And that is an insult !

McGhee was a decent bloke who enjoyed some success, but he was not up to the job in the end. A bit of a pity really.

I thought he showed himself up when he appeared on TV after the Derby game, quite a bit of time ago now. Burley was better.

PS: Seb Carole played for Leeds and Eddie Lewis was on the bench. I think I would slighly prefer Lewis to Carole.

And Crainey (Leeds favourite) is now getting slated by their fans.

cjdavis

May 17, 2006
shoreham
In all fairness, all recent managers of Brighton, have either gone on to better things (or thought they had ...:lol: ) or they,ve been sacked.Mcghee is no different to Steve Gritt, Pat Saward, and many many others.He had initially done well.....then (in my opinion) not done well. Every manager who goes to a football club, knows, that sooner or later, he,ll either be offered better employment (and I,ve yet to know a manager of Brighton, who,s turned down a better offer to go elsewhere in the 42 years I,ve watched them) or he,ll get sacked. Sadly sometime in the future, Dean Wilkins will face the same situation, be it , next week, next year or next decade. It,s a fact of a football managers life..!

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
cjdavis said:
In all fairness, all recent managers of Brighton, have either gone on to better things (or thought they had ...:lol: ) or they,ve been sacked.Mcghee is no different to Steve Gritt, Pat Saward, and many many others.He had initially done well.....then (in my opinion) not done well. Every manager who goes to a football club, knows, that sooner or later, he,ll either be offered better employment (and I,ve yet to know a manager of Brighton, who,s turned down a better offer to go elsewhere in the 42 years I,ve watched them) or he,ll get sacked. Sadly sometime in the future, Dean Wilkins will face the same situation, be it , next week, next year or next decade. It,s a fact of a football managers life..!

Very well summed up. :clap:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Happy Seagull said:
McGhee is one of the most disloyal managers in history. Loyal to Brighton? Only coz he had no where better to go.
Much as I think McGhee's exit was a necessary, albeit unfortunate, act, that statement above is absolute nonsense. He was committed to Brighton.

Even the majority of the anti-McGhee brigade who wanted to see the back of him would be hard pressed to admit he wasn't committed to Brighton, even if they didn't agree with his method of doing things.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
cjdavis said:
Too right. This has become a far too bigger deal. It's like Tony Soprano says: "there's two ways a guy like me can end up; in the can, or in the ground. There's only one way to run a family these days. Bunker style". It's the same with football managers

steve-c

magoo tried to the best of his ability, he is and always will a good championship/league 1 manager, but with the rescources and players he had it was always going to be difficult,so a change was needed, dw knows the youth, and their abilities and it's clear to see that moral has lifted a bit , so let's thank magoo for his service and wish him the best for the future (except against us)
and get on with supporting the club we all so dearly love.

:albion:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The Large One said:
Much as I think McGhee's exit was a necessary, albeit unfortunate, act, that statement above is absolute nonsense. He was committed to Brighton.

Even the majority of the anti-McGhee brigade who wanted to see the back of him would be hard pressed to admit he wasn't committed to Brighton, even if they didn't agree with his method of doing things.

I agree, however on the other managers leaving.

Adams went to a bigger club with the promise of starting the next season as manger.

Coppell, just watch of the day

Taylor- He left because he said with out funds the side would go down, and they did.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
McGheee was not by all means all bad.

Yes, he got us promoted.

Yes, he kept us in the Championship for two seasons.

.... but

he takes considerable blame for relegation last season. His constant fiddling around with the strikers meant we never had a stable partnership up front. Never had two strikers who became used to playing together. In my view he should have stuck with Hart and CKR and given them a good run to see how they gelled. Harty has been playing well up front this season and would have been the best option available to partner CKR last season,

... and, he has to take a good part of the blame for all the falling out of players with the club.

He was past his sell-by date at the Albion.

Thanks for what you did for us, Mark, but now time for a change.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here