Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion Bonus Scheme for Club Staff

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Is it just me who could envisage needing to put away a penalty in the 90th minute at Wembley, and Baldock missing it? The rest of the staff would hate him for missing out on their bonus.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Surely the whole point in employing someone is that they will have an impact, however small, on the performance of the company as a whole?

Look after your internal customers.

Brilliant move by the club.

Kemy Augustein

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It seems pretty reasonable to me. TB is effectively saying that everyone at the club contributes to the overall wellbeing of the place from the tea lady upwards.

Should the club be promoted and is set to receive the extra £100 million next season from the TV deal then it's great that the cash isn't just going to the playing staff.

From what we've read in relation to TB at StarLizard he seems a fair and reasonable bloke. This is just another example of his decency.

The free meals for all staff is also a great idea, and incentivises people to get to work on time too as if you're late you'll miss brekkie.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Well its a great idea to reward club employees if we get promoted, and well done to the club for that, but I found this bit of the article to be distinctly odd:

"The unusual bonus scheme, linked to the team’s performance, is the result of an in-depth review by chairman Tony Bloom and chief executive Paul Barber into what went wrong last season when the Seagulls were nearly relegated."

Bit unfair to attach any of the blame for last season's debacle to the cleaners IMHO.

How about the 13/14 season? They failed at the last hurdle.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Doesnt TB do something similar with his Starlizard staff, according to that article the other day?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Seems a decent enough idea to me. It makes stakeholders of all those people in the club's employ. Any business is only as good as its staff, and if the Albion's staff feel happy and valued, then it can only get everybody pulling in the same direction.

Think it was famously the UK Cycling management team who came up with the marginal gains concept: well I'd suggest that if the Albion's staff feel valued, then they will perform better in their own individual roles (no matter how small a cog they might be in the machine), and we, the customer, will see a better result off the pitch. That in turn is going to create a feelgood factor around our own, small, interactions with the club (and also within the organisation- who wouldn't want to see staff across the company getting on well and encouraging each other?).

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
People trying to use this new initiative as a stick to beat Barber with are barking up the wrong tree, IMO. The likes of Barber, other senior directors and the coaching staff, would undoubtably ALREADY have had promotion bonus clauses in their terms of employment. This initiative is about getting all staff at all levels to buy into the big goal.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
People trying to use this new initiative as a stick to beat Barber with are barking up the wrong tree, IMO. The likes of Barber, other senior directors and the coaching staff, would undoubtably ALREADY have had promotion bonus clauses in their terms of employment. This initiative is about getting all staff at all levels to buy into the big goal.

Spot on. I believe the club captain suggested having everyone invested in a promotion push through a bonus scheme in the summer. Prior to that players and management would definitely have had bonuses agreed anyway

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
On a recent visit to The American Express Performance Centre Tony Bloom saw a cleaner with a broom.

He went up and said "Hi, I'm Tony Bloom, what are you doing today?"

And the cleaner replied "Well, Mr Bloom, today I am helping the Albion get promoted".

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Spot on. I believe the club captain suggested having everyone invested in a promotion push through a bonus scheme in the summer. Prior to that players and management would definitely have had bonuses agreed anyway

Did you see the players' bonus agreement posted by somebody on the Goldstone Ground Facebook group the other day? Think it was from an ex-player. Fascinating to see what they were on back then (and I'm guessing it was pretty decent, relatively speaking, knowing that the Albion of the early 1980s were offering huge wages to certain players).

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Did you see the players' bonus agreement posted by somebody on the Goldstone Ground Facebook group the other day? Think it was from an ex-player. Fascinating to see what they were on back then (and I'm guessing it was pretty decent, relatively speaking, knowing that the Albion of the early 1980s were offering huge wages to certain players).

No. I will have to have a look

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I believe the match day staff have to work a minimum number of fixtures to.qualify

I have already put the order in for my new car, these cars are on a long waiting list so need to to so i have it to drive to the promotion party.
Happy days.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I still have a suspicion that Season Ticket prices will drop for existing holders when we are promoted. This is just a hunch, but TB does come across as an extraordinarily generous man and may be just the sort of thing he would do.

I can't see this happening immediately. If we went up then season tickets would not come down. The issue is that we would obviously be one of the favourites to go down and if we did then we could not put the season ticket prices back up for an inferior product. Clubs like Arsenal or man city could because they have no chance of going Down.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Is it just me who could envisage needing to put away a penalty in the 90th minute at Wembley, and Baldock missing it? The rest of the staff would hate him for missing out on their bonus.

That thought did indeed cross my mind when I first read this thread. Although I think it's a fantastic idea and in theory it will make the club more together.

But in reality, people who know they COULD be in for a decent bonus are already spending it in their minds. I certainly would and I'd start to get a bit nervous and twitchy now.

As long as that feeling doesn't creep in it will be ok. If some players talk to other staff day to day then this subject must have come up. It can only put more pressure than there is already there on. Let's hope they don't crack!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I can't see this happening immediately. If we went up then season tickets would not come down. The issue is that we would obviously be one of the favourites to go down and if we did then we could not put the season ticket prices back up for an inferior product. Clubs like Arsenal or man city could because they have no chance of going Down.
I'd imagine any team promoted into such an obscene amount of money will follow in the footsteps of Stoke, Leicester and Man City.
Everything will stay the same but with added bespoke incentives around travel, food & drink.

Clearly the Premier League has no desire to make the game cheaper, and an upstart with no pedigree isn't going to change that.
There will (should) be a trickle down of cash to the fans, but it won't be one single headline grabbing feature such as 'twenty is plenty'.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Kemy Augustein

The lose of Kemy has also led to 3 catering staff losing their jobs at the training ground. The club had to employ a chef, waiter and pot washer just to keep up with Kemy's demand for food. On the plus side the food bill for the training ground has gone down 75% this season. :jester:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here