Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Alan Hansen

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I don’t think he ever made himself unavailable

No, back in the 80s the role of central defender was ‘hoof it forward‘, none of this namby pamby playing it out from the back. Therefore Jock Stein preferred the Aberdeen duo of Willie Miller and Alex McLeish who both got 60+caps, Miller I could understand picking and the fact his partner at Aberdeen was McLeish was a big tick in the box. I’d personally rather have seen Hansen and David Narey (Dundee Utd) as Scotland‘s centre backs in the early to mid80s but I was only in my early teens. My Dad hated the way Hansen passed it out from the back or across the box.

Steve Nicol was another classy Scottish Liverpool defender with very few caps
I think it was a trait throughout the British Isles in the 70s and 80s that we all preferred 'proper' footballers - certainly international managers did. Skilful ball players who couldn't be easily fitted into a 'four four f***ing two' line-up were never really trusted. Alan Hudson, Tony Currie and Frank Worthington were just three England players of that period who didn't win nearly as many caps as they should have. Even Glenn Hoddle was described as 'lazy' and not international class because he was poor in the air.

It was a bleak period for England - especially as Scotland didn't completely turn their backs on flair and were better than England! :)

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think it was a trait throughout the British Isles in the 70s and 80s that we all preferred 'proper' footballers - certainly international managers did. Skilful ball players who couldn't be easily fitted into a 'four four f***ing two' line-up were never really trusted. Alan Hudson, Tony Currie and Frank Worthington were just three England players of that period who didn't win nearly as many caps as they should have. Even Glenn Hoddle was described as 'lazy' and not international class because he was poor in the air.

It was a bleak period for England - especially as Scotland didn't completely turn their backs on flair and were better than England! :)
Not a lot has changed then. So-called golden generation after golden generation come and go, and the bottom line is, we actually aren’t that good (across the team).
Will Foden be the next where hype surpasses ability? Brilliant club player, but England? Yet to turn up IMO.

With the exception of Brazil 70, I’ve never seen a team of skilful ball players win anything.

You do need a bit of steel. Hoddle had plenty of chances for England and simply could not replicate his club form (anrguably his best game was his first). Certainly agree with you about Tony Currie though, Hudson I was always a bit meh!
Frank Worthington as well,surely warranted more of a chance, perhaps Stan Bowles as well.

Scotland’s best chance should have been 74 and 78, relatively easy groups
Hadn’t realised Hansen, who was brilliant, hadn’t received many caps.

Last edited:

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Goram

Malpas Gough Hansen Albiston

Strachan Souness McStay Nicol

Dalglish Nicholas

Not sure if they all quite overlapped. But in theory what a team.
Sharp, McAvennie , McLeish, Aitken, Leighton, Cooper on the bench

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Goram

Malpas Gough Hansen Albiston

Strachan Souness McStay Nicol

Dalglish Nicholas

Not sure if they all quite overlapped. But in theory what a team.
Sharp, McAvennie , McLeish, Aitken, Leighton, Cooper on the bench
In practice though, losers. ;)

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
I'm praying for the good news of Alan Hansen getting better. 🙏

Will never forget how genuinely upset he was when England were cruelly beaten on penalties at Euro '96 by Germany. As a Jock he took a bit of stick north of the border for that. A good man.
He's one of the best pundits ever, if not the best. 90's Match of The Day was unmatched.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Glad to hear he's hopefully on the mend, can see from the reactions of McCoist and Souness and other pundits how well thought of he is.

Less matches in “them days” smaller qualifying groups etc. probably equivalent to about 50 caps today, which I appreciate is still low for a player of his quality.

That's not strictly true, the groups were about the same size, there are just more groups now. Players play more games now but that's due to more international friendlies etc, nations league, the plays off to qualify, expanding finals tournaments etc.

When Scotland qualified for the 1982 World Cup they were in a 5 team group, the same size as the group they qualified from for the current Euro's. They were in a 6 team group for the 2022 World Cup qualification but that is only two extra games per qualification process, if a country happens to be drawn into those groups.

As others have said in Scotland there were question marks over Hansen's commitment to international football. Both Jock Stein and then Alex Ferguson preferred to play Aberdeen team-mates Willie Miller and Alex McLeish together rather than one of the two with Hansen. This led to Hansen missing quite a lot of games, either on the bench or pulling out of the squads all together. When he pulled out of a game against England just before the 1986 World Cup that effectively ended his international career as he was then left out of the World Cup squad and he only got 3 more caps which all came in the qualifying games for the 1988 Euros.

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
As others have said in Scotland there were question marks over Hansen's commitment to international football. Both Jock Stein and then Alex Ferguson preferred to play Aberdeen team-mates Willie Miller and Alex McLeish together rather than one of the two with Hansen. This led to Hansen missing quite a lot of games, either on the bench or pulling out of the squads all together. When he pulled out of a game against England just before the 1986 World Cup that effectively ended his international career as he was then left out of the World Cup squad and he only got 3 more caps which all came in the qualifying games for the 1988 Euros.
It's incredible to think that while Miller and McLeish were starting you had the likes of Hansen, Gillespie, Gough, Narey too. It was a golden era for Scottish centre-backs.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
It's incredible to think that while Miller and McLeish were starting you had the likes of Hansen, Gillespie, Gough, Narey too. It was a golden era for Scottish centre-backs.
They did have a lot of talent at centre back in that era. There has been a suggestion of bias against players that were playing in England and maybe this proves it further. Gough who played most of career in Scotland got 60 odd caps, Gillespie who spent the majority of his career in England only got 13 caps.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
They did have a lot of talent at centre back in that era. There has been a suggestion of bias against players that were playing in England and maybe this proves it further. Gough who played most of career in Scotland got 60 odd caps, Gillespie who spent the majority of his career in England only got 13 caps.
Gough got most of his caps in the 90s, after the others had retired. I don’t think Gary Gillespie was ever a real regular at Liverpool, always felt he was 3rd choice

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Gough got most of his caps in the 90s, after the others had retired. I don’t think Gary Gillespie was ever a real regular at Liverpool, always felt he was 3rd choice
Gough got most of his caps in the 80s. He made his international debut in 1983 and of his 62 caps only 17 came in the 1990s, the last in 1993.

Gillespie did spend 2 or 3 seasons as a first choice at Liverpool, although I think one of those seasons was at full back, he eventually replaced Mark Lawrenson at CB when injury pretty much ended Marks career. 13 caps, like Hansen’s 26, seems very low for a player who made over 200 career appearances for Liverpool.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Good to see he appears to be on the road to recovery. I've been on and off living in his area for the past few months and people talk him about him like their neighbour.

I think that's a northern thing. People up here don't tend to bat an eye lid if they cross paths in a supermarket.

If you are ever up this way in the "posh" Merseyside, Hansen has a cracking fish and chop in Birkdale.

Parts of it are stunning, I got driven down the coast road the other day and it's beautiful.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here