Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Such a silky player and a good pundit. Hope he pulls through

albionalba

Football with optimism
NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2023
sadly in Scotland
He's a Scottish pundit who always plays a straight bat in the many times he's had to talk about England, and that is to be respected. And an indisputable record as a player.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
How the hell did Alan Hansen only end up with 26 caps for Scotland?
Did he make himself unavailable?

I used to love watching the Lawrenson & Hansen pairing in the Liverpool defence. It must be one of the best ever in the English top tier.
Eight league championship trophies, three European Cups, five domestic cups, captaincy and 26 caps for Scotland.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield

I used to love watching the Lawrenson & Hansen pairing in the Liverpool defence. It must be one of the best ever in the English top tier.
Eight league championship trophies, three European Cups, five domestic cups, captaincy and 26 caps for Scotland.
Stein couldn’t manage him and he withdrew from quite a few squads. I don’t think he had anything to prove - just couldn’t be arsed to deal with the baggage.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

From Scottish family of my girlfriend at the time ... Scotland managers wanted an Aberdeen pairing of Miller and McLeish.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

He played in England and the Scots had a problem with that for some reason.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

The jocks went with Murdo MacLoed and who are we to judge?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Stein couldn’t manage him and he withdrew from quite a few squads. I don’t think he had anything to prove - just couldn’t be arsed to deal with the baggage.
No. I have heard him interviewed about this. He was distraught when he was not selected for a world cup squad.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016

I don’t think he ever made himself unavailable

No, back in the 80s the role of central defender was ‘hoof it forward‘, none of this namby pamby playing it out from the back. Therefore Jock Stein preferred the Aberdeen duo of Willie Miller and Alex McLeish who both got 60+caps, Miller I could understand picking and the fact his partner at Aberdeen was McLeish was a big tick in the box. I’d personally rather have seen Hansen and David Narey (Dundee Utd) as Scotland‘s centre backs in the early to mid80s but I was only in my early teens. My Dad hated the way Hansen passed it out from the back or across the box.

Steve Nicol was another classy Scottish Liverpool defender with very few caps

Sussexscots

3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3 3, 3, 3, 3 ,3 ,3 3 coach chuggers
The jocks went with Murdo MacLoed and who are we to judge?
Murdo MacLeod was a midfielder and wasn't in the 1986 World Cup squad.

Hansen wasn't in Roxburgh' s squad for Italia 90 because by then he was plagued with persistent knee injuries.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Murdo MacLeod was a midfielder and wasn't in the 1986 World Cup squad.

Hansen wasn't in Roxburgh' s squad for Italia 90 because by then he was plagued with persistent knee injuries.

This.

And Hansen’s international career didn’t coincide with McLeod’s. Hansen was a star at the highest level from winning the European Cup in 78 and key to a 1978/79 defence that only conceded 16 goals in 42 league games.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I really enjoy Nicol on ESPN, he’s very likeable. In fact I quite enjoy their coverage full stop. Except for Ali Moreno who whilst actually being quite knowledgable about the game, is really quite annoying.
I can't say I've seen much of their coverage. They have the FA Cup so I'll watch the cup final and occasionally put on a tie in an earlier round, but even if I sit and watch the match I'll typically be doing something else at half-time and full-time so I don't really pay much attention to the studio coverage.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here