Alan Davies/Hilsborough

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He's right.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Can you define exactly what you mean by justice?

For their 'perception of justice' you will have to ask 'them'.

google redandwhitekop or talklfc, they will help you out if you want to talk to a scouser about this issue.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
As I thought, you don't know.

I know that many families do not consider that justice has been done. I know that the inquiries that have been carried out have not been done so to the satisfaction of those families.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Can you define exactly what you mean by justice?

Well, if I was their position I'd be mightily pissed off suspecting strongly that there are reams of evidence surrounding that day (and after) that for some reason have been kept under wraps.

Certain press coverage at the time has unfortunately seeped into the public conscience and there are many "urban myths" surrounding the event. Apparently the sources for these stories were very senior.

If true, I'd really want to know why - wouldn't you ?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Well, if I was their position I'd be mightily pissed off suspecting strongly that there are reams of evidence surrounding that day (and after) that for some reason have been kept under wraps.

Certain press coverage at the time has unfortunately seeped into the public conscience and there are many "urban myths" surrounding the event. Apparently the sources for these stories were very senior.

If true, I'd really want to know why - wouldn't you ?

The Witnesses

The mini inquests into Kevin’s death gave me no answers – in fact I was realising what had happened and the extremes the West Midland Police had gone to cover up the true facts. No witnesses were ever called to tell in their own words what they had seen, so evidence was suppressed and twisted and turned. The medical evidence made no sense what so ever, the jury never heard what really happened to Kevin at Hillsborough. Kevin was dead and brain-dead by 3.15pm as far as the inquest was concerned. The witnesses say different and so do the forensic pathologists.M

http://hopeforhillsboroughjustice.wordpress.com/the-witnesses/

http://hopeforhillsboroughjustice.wordpress.com/about-the-campaign/

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I fully understand that they want to know the truth but I don't that is not justice. Generally speaking, justice in most peoples eyes is some sort of retribution, whether that be in the form of punishments or compensation or both. As far as I am aware, it is accepted that the Police made what turned out to be fatal decisions. We know that false info was fed to the press. Anne Williams wants an inquest which under the circumstances is understandable but even if that confirms what most think in that the Police held back ambulances, does anyone think they genuinely held them back just to cause people to die? And what if she gets that answer, that in itself isn't justice, it's just the truth!

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
Alan Davies has got this all wrong. The 96 people who died that day, went to watch their beloved Liverpool in a FA Cup Semi-Final against Forest. These 96 people never came back, the families of those 96 haven't got justice nearly 23 years on. It is the worst Footballing Disaster this country has ever witnessed and it should never be FORGOTTEN!!!

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
Alan Davies has got this all wrong. The 96 people who died that day, went to watch their beloved Liverpool in a FA Cup Semi-Final against Forest. These 96 people never came back, the families of those 96 haven't got justice nearly 23 years on. It is the worst Footballing Disaster this country has ever witnessed and it should never be FORGOTTEN!!!

Alan Davies isn't disputing any of that.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I fully understand that they want to know the truth but I don't that is not justice. Generally speaking, justice in most peoples eyes is some sort of retribution, whether that be in the form of punishments or compensation or both. As far as I am aware, it is accepted that the Police made what turned out to be fatal decisions. We know that false info was fed to the press. Anne Williams wants an inquest which under the circumstances is understandable but even if that confirms what most think in that the Police held back ambulances, does anyone think they genuinely held them back just to cause people to die? And what if she gets that answer, that in itself isn't justice, it's just the truth!

The important thing here is not a definition justice. The family need justice to give them closure on what happened that day and afterwards. If they need to know exactly that day and why then that is good enough for me. We were/are affected by Hilsborough but not as much as the community who lost 96 family members. For me it is this community that should decide how to grieve and remember what happened, when to do that and when to stop. If this involves moving a few football matches then so be it.

Stumpy Tim

How is not playing on that day helping the cause? It's irrelevant to the question being asked. Everyone supports their fight for justice... Everyone. Some people would like them to not block off a day of the footballing calendar though.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/mar/15/hillsborough-disaster-survivors

Read this and ask yourself whether you'd want to watch Albion play on the anniversary of a day like that if 96 of our fans had lost their lives. I wouldn't as it's almost certain I'd have either lost someone or known someone who died. That's assuming I'd ever managed to go to a football match again given the unimaginable horror of what happened that day, a tragedy compounded by one of the most shameful cover-ups this country has ever perpetrated.

If my club insisted they'd never play on that day again as a mark of respect, I'd think that would be the least they could do.

I agree it's unfortunate about Chelsea and the scheduling around key European games generally but that's a separate issue which the football authorities have the power to sort out but choose not to.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/mar/15/hillsborough-disaster-survivors

Read this and ask yourself whether you'd want to watch Albion play on the anniversary of a day like that if 96 of our fans had lost their lives. I wouldn't as it's almost certain I'd have either lost someone or known someone who died. That's assuming I'd ever managed to go to a football match again given the unimaginable horror of what happened that day, a tragedy compounded by one of the most shameful cover-ups this country has ever perpetrated.

If my club insisted they'd never play on that day again as a mark of respect, I'd think that would be the least they could do.

I agree it's unfortunate about Chelsea and the scheduling around key European games generally but that's a separate issue which the football authorities have the power to sort out but choose not to.

The Hillsborough disaster was a terrible, preventable thing to happen. At the same time, I would not have a problem with us playing football on that date in the calendar if the disaster had involved Albion fans. I'd see it as an opportunity to bring people together through the love of the sport shared by all survivors and all who died. Nevertheless, I get that that's my personal perspective and that others have their own opinion, and own way of grieving, to which they are entitled to. I think behind the desire not to play on that date comes from a concern that the Hillsborough disaster is being slowly forgotten and it's a concern that grows, not diminishes, as time goes on. If the FA spoke directly to those concerns, and made a difference in that area, I don't think Liverpool would be anything like as strident as they are being.

Last edited:

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
And the relatives of those deceased?
How about those that were there and lost relatives or those that just about got out in time?
Suppose these were people you loved in these photos

I was not saying that it was not a horrific event. My point was that these people went to watch their beloved Liverpool, surely it would be better to honour their lives by having Liverpool play in their memory.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
...it should never be FORGOTTEN!!!

Nobody is saying it should be forgotten, least of all AD. But what he is saying is that football shouldn't stop. What more fitting memorial could their be to the Liverpool fans who never came home than the team they supported being so highly motivated that they never lose a match if scheduled for one day of the year?

Two minutes silence, black arm bands all round and a roll call of the names of the 96. Then a jolly good celebration of football.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Do Juve not play on the anniversary of the day that Liverpool fans caused the deaths at Heysel?

That is not a dig at Liverpool as they are perfectly entitled to grieve in what ever way they feel fit and appropriate, but I would be interested to know if the Italian fans feel as strongly as Liverpool fans do about Hillsboro

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here