Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Agree or Disagree with me?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Great post BoF.

People think that with the passing of time, the 'excuses' are no longer valid, because they're old hat or boring or 'we've heard them so many times before'. Truth is, the reasons for our predicament are as true today as they were five years ago.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
some is good but i disagree as McGhee had exactly the same resources as adams and coppell who clearly did alot better jobs. granted its hard for us but its the way we play sometimes that is shit.

all about opinions though isn't it..

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
sheebo said:
some is good but i disagree as McGhee had exactly the same resources as adams and coppell who clearly did alot better jobs. granted its hard for us but its the way we play sometimes that is shit.

Perhaps Coppell and Adams benefited highly from one Bobby Z.

Granted Coppell did the best in our Championship campaign. Micky was never tested at this level with the Albion.

Plus McGhee's reign has coincided with higher running costs, and the forceful sales of key men.

Very true that it is about opinions.

Last edited:

sheebo said:

Yes, Adams never managed for us at this level in the league. And Coppell didn't manage us long enough at this level to make a valid comparison, because we were relegated and he then left.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
DAMANCLAY said:
He could have walked at the end of last season after keeping us up against all odds and walked into any job in this divison
:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :clap2:

Brilliant.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The fact that Crewe might stay up, and the fact that we ourselves stayed up last year shows that survival was a very achieavable goal if the club got things right this season.

The fact we are bottom and adrift by 7 points with 4 games to go is testament to how badly things have gone wrong.

The fact that there are 4 shite teams distorts the normal picture of 50 points being the figure for safety.

At the start of the season I thought we'd garner about 46/47 points and be 2 or 3 adrift. Fair enough - we'd at least make a fight of it. However, we'll be lucky to make 40 at this rate. That is a poor effort well below expectation level.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
sheebo said:

I'm not sure that's true. Adams did the job in lower divisions where less reources are needed. Coppell couldn't keep us up (although he wasn't helped by the start Hinsh gave him) even though he had a stronger squad than the one we have now. McGhee finished the job of getting us to this division AND kept us up for a bonus season. He succeeded where Peter Taylor wouldn't even try.

Now don't get me wrong, McGhee is not the best manager in the world or even the division but you have to put it into perspective. Other threads talk about replacing him but we won't get anyone any better. If you look at Adams and Taylor now, they are not that far above us even though they both have a shiny new stadium with far more paying supporters coming through the gate and so much more money to work with.

As regards how we play, some of our football earlier in the season was great to watch, with some superb box-to-box moves. Our players are just too inexperienced to be consistent enough yet.

Before the start of this season I expected relegation becuase of all of our limitations. If we struggle when back in League One then THAT is the time to give McGhee a hard time, not now.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Well I totally disagree:

- We will be relegated.
- LDC will win, Falmer won't happen. This will be drawn out over the next 5 years.
- MM will leave and be replaced by Graham Rix
- We will go bust.
- The Lib Dems will win the next General Election, Campbell will retire and Norman Baker will become PM. His first act will be to ban football.
- Anne De Vecchi will be made a Dame, given the OBE and a tax-free income of £1 million a year for services to Nimbys
- Global Warming means the ice caps will melt and flood us, and at the same time we'll also freeze (I don't quite know how that works, something to do with too much fresh water in the Gulf Stream but I'm assured that will be the case)
- Iran will launch a pre-emptive nuclear strike.
- Martians will invade and eat us all.

So enough already with this optimism, what ever can go wrong will go wrong, we're all doomed.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Brovian said:
Well I totally disagree:

- We will be relegated.
- LDC will win, Falmer won't happen. This will be drawn out over the next 5 years.
- MM will leave and be replaced by Graham Rix
- We will go bust.
- The Lib Dems will win the next General Election, Campbell will retire and Norman Baker will become PM. His first act will be to ban football.
- Anne De Vecchi will be made a Dame, given the OBE and a tax-free income of £1 million a year for services to Nimbys
- Global Warming means the ice caps will melt and flood us, and at the same time we'll also freeze (I don't quite know how that works, something to do with too much fresh water in the Gulf Stream but I'm assured that will be the case)
- Iran will launch a pre-emptive nuclear strike.
- Martians will invade and eat us all.

So enough already with this optimism, what ever can go wrong will go wrong, we're all doomed.
Good post. So what do you feel the negatives are then?

Last edited:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Pavilionaire said:
The fact that Crewe might stay up, and the fact that we ourselves stayed up last year shows that survival was a very achieavable goal if the club got things right this season.

The fact we are bottom and adrift by 7 points with 4 games to go is testament to how badly things have gone wrong.

The fact that there are 4 shite teams distorts the normal picture of 50 points being the figure for safety.

At the start of the season I thought we'd garner about 46/47 points and be 2 or 3 adrift. Fair enough - we'd at least make a fight of it. However, we'll be lucky to make 40 at this rate. That is a poor effort well below expectation level.

Couldnt have put it better myself. If (a big if) Crewe stay up and we go down then this shows MM is not a good manager. Why? Because Crewe are no better than us PLAYER for PLAYER. But with the right manager in charge it shows what can be done.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
seagulls4eva said:
Excellent post. Some people just have unrealistic views of where this club should be.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The Large One said:
Good post. So what do you feel the negatives are then?
Out of all of them the thing that scares me most is the thought of Rix as manager.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
yeh but coppells form after taking us over after hinsh was top half of the table stuff! and much of that was without bobby. it was great loan signings like ingermarson and sidwell that helped. i also reckon adams would have easily kept us up and even mid table in DIV 1 had he not left. tha atmosphere around the club was just great and it was quality. McGhee is depressing and shit compared to them - surely people can see that???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here