Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

After Bradley Wiggins SMASHES the field to win gold today..

Is Bradley Wiggins our greatest ever sportsman?

• Total voters

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Redgrave is NOT our best Olympian. What he he did was part of a set of teams and not on his own - which definitely devalues his medals. Also it was sometimes in PAIRS, sometimes in FOURS so was not even the same event.

So Daley Thompson is the Olympian to beat, no question. One man, pitting himself (and himself alone) against a set of events to determine who is the most superhuman.

I love Wiggins though.

The point is Wiggins is not nailed on as many are probably thinking and hoping.

Wiggo fervour does make a lay of him probably the value proposition if you're looking to make some money out of this. Sod that though, this is the Olympics, and you have to back your own.

Come on Wiggo!

That's the spirit man!

My big boss is in the office today but sod it I may fcuk off and cheer the great man on this afternoon. I cheered him down the Champs Elysees to victory so might as well do the same on home soil.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Like allot of the events at the olympics there is absolutely no skill involved in riding a push bike most people can do it unaided from a very early age. So I don't see how he can be described as the greatest ever sportsman?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Like allot of the events at the olympics there is absolutely no skill involved in riding a push bike most people can do it unaided from a very early age. So I don't see how he can be described as the greatest ever sportsman?

FFS you are a miserable sod sometimes. And do you know what?

Wiggins doesn't even use stabilisers - that's how good he is.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I suspect you're wrong, but in any case skill is only one quality a good sportsman needs to have, surely?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I suspect you're wrong, but in any case skill is only one quality a good sportsman needs to have, surely?

Like I said for allot of the events at the olympics skill isn't even a requirement. It's just dedication. There is only one way you can ride a bike, once you learn how to do that then it's just practice and dedication. Likewise for running, throwing events, jumping events etc etc.

Ok there are few factors that do come into it for certain events like body type but there isn't allot an individual can do about that other than keeping themselves in shape.

You will catch no fish in this pond with bait like that I'm afraid my friend.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Get him do it on a unicycle whilst juggling, then I'll be impressed!

I think you're getting confused with Team GB sailor Ali Young.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Wiggins is a great time trialist, but I still think it will be Cancellara, then Martin, then Wiggo. Froome 4th.

However, if there is a technical for any of them then it blows the tables completely open.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
..he becomes our greatest ever Olympian. Add to that being the only Brit to ever win the Tour de France plus his multitude of other sporting achievements. Does this make him GB's greatest ever sportsman?
Up there with the greats but not the greatest. This sort of question is always subjective anyway.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I don't think so. He's a brilliant athlete, but he doesn't come anywhere near the likes of Hoy, Redgrave and Ainslie. Maybe if Wiggins consistently performs well in the coming years, I might change my mind.

Up there with the greats but not the greatest. This sort of question is always subjective anyway.

Well obviously, hence the DISCUSSION. But regardless of what is said on this thread, I am right and he IS the greatest GB sportsman of all time.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Like I said for allot of the events at the olympics skill isn't even a requirement. It's just dedication. There is only one way you can ride a bike, once you learn how to do that then it's just practice and dedication. Likewise for running, throwing events, jumping events etc etc.

ah - but I heard that one of the reasons that Wiggo is do good is that he has SLOWED his pedal speed. He must be a genius to go faster by going slower!

It takes more that dedication and practice to break the LAWS of Physics

I don't think so. He's a brilliant athlete, but he doesn't come anywhere near the likes of Hoy, Redgrave and Ainslie. Maybe if Wiggins consistently performs well in the coming years, I might change my mind.

As has been eloquently put, Redgrave was part of various TEAMS. And anyway, BW will win more medals than him. Why is Hoy above Wiggins in your view? Ainslie you have a fair point but I would argue that BW's range of events and the magnitude of his Tour win outstrip Ben's fantastic success.
And for your info, BW is approaching the tail end of his career, not the start.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Oh piss off! You know I'm right!

Get him do it on a unicycle whilst juggling, then I'll be impressed!

For someone that apparently hates cycling so much you seem to comment on all the threads about it. Do you secretly long to feel lycra against your skin? The feel of the air passing over your shaved legs? The punishment you get from sitting on a saddle for hours on end?

Or are you just a miserable cock with absolutely no life?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
For someone that apparently hates cycling so much you seem to comment on all the threads about it.

So that must be 2 threads about push biking I've posted on now. Stop the world I want to get off!

Do you secretly long to feel lycra against your skin? The feel of the air passing over your shaved legs? The punishment you get from sitting on a saddle for hours on end?

All right calm down, go and rub yourself down with a wet lettuce, you'll make a mess!

Or are you just a miserable cock with absolutely no life?

Yeah that one! If it wasn't for velcro shoes I wouldn't leave the house!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here