Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

After Bradley Wiggins SMASHES the field to win gold today..

Is Bradley Wiggins our greatest ever sportsman?

• Total voters

..he becomes our greatest ever Olympian. Add to that being the only Brit to ever win the Tour de France plus his multitude of other sporting achievements. Does this make him GB's greatest ever sportsman?

Not for me, Redgrave won 5 golds at 5 consecutive games.

This in my opinion sets him way above the achievements of any of our other athletes.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He's pretty close and definitely top 3.

but he's not going to win today.

1) Martin
2) Cancellara
3) wiggins
4) Sanchez
5) Froome

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Greatest ever? Not sure. But Wiggins will be in that elite group of British sportsmen occupied by Steve Redgrave, Chris Hoy, Daley Thompson and Joey Barton.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

1) Martin
2) Cancellara
3) wiggins
4) Sanchez
5) Froome
I think he'll beat Cancellara but Martin will be too good for him after he beat him by a whole minute in Copenhagen. Incidentally, there is money to be made on laying odds on Wiggins. He is a ridiculous 4/6 price.

1) Martin
2) Cancellara
3) wiggins
4) Sanchez
5) Froome

Martin and Cacellara both nursing injuries and neither in top form. Froome too tired to take on Wiggins. GOLD.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Martin and Cacellara both nursing injuries and neither in top form. Froome too tired to take on Wiggins. GOLD.
Feel free to ignore me, I know of at least 1 poster that wont, and he'll lose money today. :lol:

These aren't soccerballists.
Cyclists finish Tour stages with collapsed lungs.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Dalay Thompson for me. Great in the true spirit of the Olympics. Not sure they had bikes in the REAL Olympics

Our greatest ever sportsman is obviously David Beckham, and he was denied a chance to be our greatest ever Olympian :jester:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Feel free to ignore me, I know of at least 1 poster that wont, and he'll lose money today. :lol:

They don't WIN them with collapsed lungs though. I don't think Martin's injury is serious though, is it?

1) Martin
2) Wiggins
3) Froome or Cancellara

The odds are so short I can't put money on Wiggo as much as I would like to. I agree though, these guys are hard as nails and against normal opposition I wouldn't bet against them just on the back of an injury. But you have to take form into account as well as the motivation of home advantage. If this race was in a weeks time (or had a decent hill in it) I'd back Froome for a podium finish.. but it's not. Bradley for GOLD.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Broken wrist. Nah, he'll just run it off..

He has been quoted as saying that it is AGONY.

I'm loving this thread. I literally know NOTHING about cycling. I can't even do it myself. But I love the passion and excitement that it generates and the pride that we have in great sportsmen like Wiggins, Hoy and Pendleton.

Hove Seagull

Feb 18, 2008
Havant
Greatest ever? Not sure. But Wiggins will be in that elite group of British sportsmen occupied by Steve Redgrave, Chris Hoy, Daley Thompson and Joey Barton.

I had to read that three times to spot Joey Barton.
Now my keyboard is covered in coffee!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The point is Wiggins is not nailed on as many are probably thinking and hoping.

Wiggo fervour does make a lay of him probably the value proposition if you're looking to make some money out of this. Sod that though, this is the Olympics, and you have to back your own.

Come on Wiggo!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here