Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Afghanistan,two more dead.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Can someone apart from a politician,please explain what is the purpose of 'our mission' in Afghanistan ? :wave:

Attachments

• B6216613-A795-58FD-7FFB8F27E50EC8DA.jpg
    B6216613-A795-58FD-7FFB8F27E50EC8DA.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 189

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Stop the Taliban taking over
We are basically improving the lives of millions of afghans.

If we wern't there then they would be back to living hell

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
I used to be able to see what the point of the soldiers out there was, however now, with so many soldiers younger than me dying, it's just seeming so wasteful. That's another two lives wasted, essentially for nothing.

The place is just going to become a dissolved state (if it isn't already), and it really does seem like the British and American occupation of the country is doing nothing but inflame the situation. It's time for Britain and America to objectively reassess the situation, and hopefully ultimately get the hell out of there, and stop this waste of life carrying on. How many more 18 year olds are going to die for "our own good". What good is really going to be achieved over there anymore?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

That is indeed true. Afghanistan is a fairly easy war to justify for many reasons. However:

the might of the British empire at it's peak tried to control Afghanistan and failed.
the might of the Soviet empire at it's peak tried to control Afghanistan and failed.

What makes you think 8,000 poorly equipped troops are going to fair any better?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
That is indeed true. Afghanistan is a fairly easy war to justify for many reasons. However:

the might of the British empire at it's peak tried to control Afghanistan and failed.
the might of the Soviet empire at it's peak tried to control Afghanistan and failed.

What makes you think 8,000 poorly equipped troops are going to fair any better?

I think this evidence concludes why it is unlikely this war will be won.

I used to be able to see what the point of the soldiers out there was, however now, with so many soldiers younger than me dying, it's just seeming so wasteful. That's another two lives wasted, essentially for nothing.
The place is just going to become a dissolved state (if it isn't already), and it really does seem like the British and American occupation of the country is doing nothing but inflame the situation. It's time for Britain and America to objectively reassess the situation, and hopefully ultimately get the hell out of there, and stop this waste of life carrying on. How many more 18 year olds are going to die for "our own good". What good is really going to be achieved over there anymore?

:bowdown:

But we could/should be doing that in many more "rogue states" around the world.

The tide seems to have turned out in Afghanistan lately, seems a long time since John Simpson walked into Kabul - time to admit defeat so more young men (and women) aren't dying for nothing.

Oh, and stay safe junior:thumbsup:

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
My girfriend works with a close relative of one of the young lads who died. He had only passed out two weeks ago and was very sensitive to his familys concerns about being shipped straight out to Afghanisthan.

It's a terrible waste of life but I don't see how we can pull out without causing even greater turbulence and loss of life.

It's a mess and should be a matter of immediate review, I can't see an easy way out though.

PutYourHandsUp...

Jun 6, 2009
shocking to see another two gone, proud of you boys tho..... RIP

and rip still to Private Daniel Gamble 2nd Battalion The Parachute Regiment, soldier number 100. still and always wil be missed x

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
and rip still to Private Daniel Gamble 2nd Battalion The Parachute Regiment, soldier number 100. still and always wil be missed x

Agreed, his Dad works in our office. They've had various troop-supporting activities going on since it happened.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If you watch the Ross Kemp documentaries or see the covert footage of people being executed under the Taliban in the National Football Stadium in Kabul then it's obvious why we're there.

I think the Al-Qaeda angle, plus the drug production, justify a military presence but what annoys me is this should be a UN Mission, not US + UK + a few others.

The UN was set up as a global peace-keeping body yet what good is it doing?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
The UN is only there for dictators to hide behind.

All the bullshit that gets thrown at the West by all those fuckwit protestors at the G8 summit type things is so misdirected.

If they really wanted to feed all the poor in the world they'd shut down the most usless organisation in the world and feed them with the money wasted on the UN.

And it's an absolute fortune.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
what annoys me is this should be a UN Mission, not US + UK + a few others

US + UK + a few others? ? ?

As of April, the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Italy, Canada, Poland, Netherlands, Australia, Romania, Bulgaria, Spain, Denmark, Turkey, Belgium, Norway, and the Czech Republic all had more than 500 troops each on the ground. The entire coalition is made up of close to 50 countries.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here