Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

AFC Wimbledon V Brighton and Hove Albion **OFFICIAL THREAD**

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Tunnicliffe and Virgo has to be the central partnership and Mcleod looked good.

Spiller looked OK, El Abd atrocious (so nothing new). Scots lad looked solid and kicked well.

Murray looked bored to death and Dickinson / Davies did not set the world alight.

Jul 7, 2003
Bolton
I agree that Murray didnt look interested in the match - he also didnt do himself any favours by shouting at the linesman from about two yards away calling him an 'effing cheating cnt' in front of the AFC family area - all a tad unnecessary in a pre season match.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Pre-season is the same every year. Lat year McLeod looked good in pre-season too and last year Murray told the linesman at Burgess Hill in no uncertain northern terms to "Fook off", my how we laughed.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
McCleod’s lost so much weight he looks like he’s had dysentery all summer. I didn’t recognize him at all last night.

And my AFCW mates couldn't believe how GOOD Kuipers' kicking was. I thought they looked a half-decent side too, their former Swindon rightback/slight mentalist in particular. An enjoyable evening all in all but as ever with pre-season friendlies, precisely no real signs there of things to come.

Nov 25, 2008
Block (H)ated
enjoyed it :clap: my first friendly this season, impressed with Tunni, Smith And Spiller (please may he sign :thumbsup:) great day out with mates having a drink and a laugh. AFC looked good ;):clap2:

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
what's the obsession with kuipers and his kicking. mcghee used it as an excuse to drop him and it seems to have stuck.

how well a goalkeeper can hoof the thing down the pitch is irrelevant. He's there to keep the ball out the net. Plus don't we want our keeper to ROLL the ball out to a defender who then builds play from the back... rather than SMASH it aimlessly downfield?

Also mcloed looks good against the non leaguers because that's his standard.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
what's the obsession with kuipers and his kicking. mcghee used it as an excuse to drop him and it seems to have stuck.

how well a goalkeeper can hoof the thing down the pitch is irrelevant. He's there to keep the ball out the net. Plus don't we want our keeper to ROLL the ball out to a defender who then builds play from the back... rather than SMASH it aimlessly downfield?

You're a little ray of sunshine, aren't you.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley

I would say thats harsh. McLeod looked very good last season before he lost his fitness. If he is able to keep fit this season, I see no reason that he shouldn't be an asset to the team.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
I would say thats harsh. McLeod looked very good last season before he lost his fitness. If he is able to keep fit this season, I see no reason that he shouldn't be an asset to the team.

i hope so. he didn't look very interested last season, didn't have the stomach for a fight. i think that's why i don't really like him. lack of commitment.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
i hope so. he didn't look very interested last season, didn't have the stomach for a fight. i think that's why i don't really like him. lack of commitment.

Nail head, stomach was the problem now smaller and trimmer

Spider

Sep 15, 2007

I think Kuipers problem is more with distribution in general. His kicking is not great, but in general he doesn't have the quick thinking distribution that many keepers have nowadays. You might say this is unimportant but I think saying all a keeper has to do is keep the ball out of the net is like saying all a striker has to do is put the ball into it. With poor kicking you can invite the opposition back onto you very quickly, whilst good distribution can create route one attacking moves or indeed start decent moves from the back.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

Being able to kick takes a huge amount of pressure off the defence, because they've always got the easiest option of a pass back. When Kuipers is in goal, the defenders hardly ever take that option - whereas with our other keepers over the years, they use it a lot.

Also, smashing it aimlessly downfield is not the intention. A good kicker will land the ball where they want it to go. Like Smith last night when he collected the ball and instantaneously hit a terrific drop-kick that dropped in the path of McLeod ten yards inside the AFC half, and had all their defenders out of position.

This argument goes right back to the days of Ben Roberts, who used to get slated for dropping the odd clanger because he effectively played as a sweeper behind the defence. But how many goals did he stop by nipping attacks in the bud before they truly got started? People used to moan about Grobelaar in the same way, but it didn't stop him playing for Europe's top team of the time for years.

Kuipers may have great reflexes, but he wouldn't need them as much if he were a better all-round 'keeper.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here