Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

AFC Bournemouth v Brighton - the thread

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Oatway is a revelation. Some of his away performances last season were immense. Mcghee has transformed him from a 4th division grafter to a player that can mix it with some of the best central midfielders in the championship. He's now a david batty, Nicky Butt type player that will clean up...play sensible short balls but also when the time is right unleash some good long range passing (He can actually play a bit now as well)

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I said it once I'll say it again.....

Keown and Adams, slow but the one of the best central defensive partnerships EVER in the history of football!!

We need a replacement for Mayo, first and foremost

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
dwayne said:
I said it once I'll say it again.....

Keown and Adams, slow but the one of the best central defensive partnerships EVER in the history of football!!

We need a replacement for Mayo, first and foremost

Dead right, dwayne. You need pace on the flanks, that is where a fast winger will catch you. Unfortunately, that is something Kerry does not have any more. I have seen him skinned on many occasions, though I would not want to downgrade his superb service over the years. The essential quality for a central defender other than the ability to outjump forwards and head the ball is positional sense. That is one of Tank's key abilities, as he showed last season. The only miskakes I remember him making were the missed header against West Ham and his being outmuscled by Chadwick against Plymouth.

However, I am worried about the lack of spending. We were told that the club needed £2 million to survive. We raised £250,000 from Currie, £250,000 from Cullip and £250,000 from the Alive and Kicking appeal. £1.5 million has been raised from Virgo and £450,000 from Harding. That is a surplus of £700,000. I know that the £2 million will have attracted interest and servicing charges, but surely there is some left to spend on new signings. This is not an Ernest-style grumble, and I do sympathise with Martin Perry - he must live, eat, and sleep and dream Falmer, but it would be nice to know if there is going to be any action on this.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
DÃnN¥ §ëÃGuLL© said:
Few centre backs have that much pace anyway, Rio Ferdinand being one exception to the rule. Look at John Terry - not the quickest off the mark but one of the best players in the country last season.

King is one of the quickest players in England

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
West Hoathly Seagull said:

However, I am worried about the lack of spending. We were told that the club needed £2 million to survive. We raised £250,000 from Currie, £250,000 from Cullip and £250,000 from the Alive and Kicking appeal. £1.5 million has been raised from Virgo and £450,000 from Harding. That is a surplus of £700,000.

There was also circa £400k (??) from the Spurs FA Cup game, plus around £60k for the Ipswich game on Sky......

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
We never made the Alive and Kicking target because some people wouldn't put their hand in their pocket, so how can there be a surplus?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here