Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Advertising on the Beeb?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Anyone else notice last night during Sports Personality, the phrase "Supported by Robinsons" was used 3 or 4 times. Okay, "supported by" is slightly different from "Sponsored by", but not a lot. I thought the beeb were not allowed to do that sort of thing? I want my licence fee back if they are going to start all that malarky.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
They have also been advertising DAB digital radios - probably just because they invested all of our license fees into that particular sinking ship.

I think the BBC thinks it is allowed to do whatever it wants, advertise carefully-selected products, or casually disregard/rig public votes to their advantage (and profit).

I would be quite happy if the BBC stopped broadcasting (and the TV license was dropped).

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Apparently they are allowed to do it if it is an event rather than just a TV recording. They can't give undue prominence though which is why they only mentioned Robinsons 3 or 4 times.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
They have also been advertising DAB digital radios - probably just because they invested all of our license fees into that particular sinking ship.

I think the BBC thinks it is allowed to do whatever it wants, advertise carefully-selected products, or casually disregard/rig public votes to their advantage (and profit).

I would be quite happy if the BBC stopped broadcasting (and the TV license was dropped).

Profit? Which shareholders make money out of the BBC?

Not quite sure what I would do without the BBC and this country would be in a bit of bother as well. It's hugely important for our economy.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley

Fair enough - I didn't think that post fully through!

It just seems that the BBC of late has been entirely unable to run itself like the professional organisation it should be. The BBC news has become increasingly poor quality - this morning the main story seemed to be the results of Strictly Come Dancing, in spite of floods in the South and various stories surrounding the Middle East. That was the final straw in convincing me of just how self-centred the BBC seems to be at the moment.

I have taken to watching Channel 4 for a decent news report.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008

Not quite sure what I would do without the BBC and this country would be in a bit of bother as well. It's hugely important for our economy.

A lot of people do profit from the BBC, earning money they would never get elsewhere. Jonathan Ross, Terry Wogan in particular spring to mind.

The BBC is also notorious for over paying it's support staff too, researchers, crew etc all earn far more than they'd get at a third party producer.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
I'd say that if you want the best people and sometimes more importantly you want people to stay for a while and not run off for a bigger pay cheque elsewhere you need to pay well.

I'm not sure why everybody hates the BBC so much. The left wing bias of some shows get to me a little bit (I've gone right off News Quiz) but the pure news content is pretty straight down the middle. I wonder if people really think what it would be like without them.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
İbrahim Tatlıses;2718099 said:
The BBC sets the very high broadcasting standards that we have in this country, and is the reason why the quality of our media is the finest in the world. The license fee is a small price to pay for what we get back, you certainly would miss the beeb if it were gone.

:clap: spot.on.

Mostly the same people that complain about the licence fee think nothing of giving Sky £'s per month and still getting 20 minutes of adverts per hour!

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I would argue that the BBC used to set the high standards in TV that we enjoy.

It now delivers poor quality news - compared with the quality of its news programmes only a few years ago. Saturday entertainment is plagiarised straight from ITV (Pop idol-style phone-in programmes such as fame academy, last choir standing, Strictly, Maria, etc), none of the new drama shows are as good as the shows on ITV and there seems to be a new BBC related controversy most weeks.

I am in favour of the licence fee, but only whilst the BBC is providing the decent quality programming, which I used to be accustomed to. It really needs a bit of a shake up and a few new ideas to change my perception.

Anyways, I am going to shut up now - I am clearly in the minority on this issue!!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I am in favour of the licence fee, but only whilst the BBC is providing the decent quality programming, which I used to be accustomed to.

for example?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

Great idea, let's have all our TV from sky and ITV, after all they have such high quality documentaries, drama etc...

THe BBC may have its faults, but personally I feel the Licence fee is pretty good VFM, when compared to £40+ a month for sky.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
I would argue that the BBC used to set the high standards in TV that we enjoy.

It now delivers poor quality news - compared with the quality of its news programmes only a few years ago. Saturday entertainment is plagiarised straight from ITV (Pop idol-style phone-in programmes such as fame academy, last choir standing, Strictly, Maria, etc), none of the new drama shows are as good as the shows on ITV and there seems to be a new BBC related controversy most weeks.

I am in favour of the licence fee, but only whilst the BBC is providing the decent quality programming, which I used to be accustomed to. It really needs a bit of a shake up and a few new ideas to change my perception.

Anyways, I am going to shut up now - I am clearly in the minority on this issue!!

It's a bit rich claiming that the BBC are ripping of Pop Idol. The talent show has been one of the oldest tv formats going and while ITV (or more correctly Simon Fuller) restarted it the BBC have innovated round it (the ITV even stole one back with stars on ice) and produced some good shows.

I too would be interested in what you used to think was good BBC programming. I think you've fallen into the common trap of thinking that everything is crap now when it was great 10 years ago.

Also on the controversy - All the BBC problems put together don't come close to this one ITV report slams Ant Dec phone-in deceit - Times Online

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It just seems that the BBC of late has been entirely unable to run itself like the professional organisation it should be. The BBC news has become increasingly poor quality - this morning the main story seemed to be the results of Strictly Come Dancing, in spite of floods in the South and various stories surrounding the Middle East. That was the final straw in convincing me of just how self-centred the BBC seems to be at the moment.

I think the BBC's on a bit of a loser: if it didn't cover the controversy, then it would be slagged off for not reporting its own bad news. If it does, then it's slagged off being 'self-centred'.

I must say that I, speaking personally, find this interest in Strictly Come Dancing to be baffling but it was on the front page of a couple of the tabs so the BBC can scarcely be accused of ploughing a lowly furrow here.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
BBC America seems to be beating the locals in their own back yard which is not surprising given that news reporting in the States by the four main networks is still pretty dire – all those gleaming teeth and perfect breasts (drool) and not that much international coverage. CNN is not bad but nowhere near as good as it thinks it is.

It’s interesting that a lot of Yanks have started watching BBC America as they like its objectivity and quirky style and a lot of the movers and shakers are more than happy to give it exclusives. Allegedly, it’s one of the fastest growing cable programmes in the States. The downside is their non-news output – they have a fantastic catalogue of comedy, drama and documentaries and they flood the schedule with effing Graham Norton and Gordon Ramsey. Definitely a missed opportunity.

But, as a global broadcaster the Beeb still takes some beating

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
BBC America seems to be beating the locals in their own back yard which is not surprising given that news reporting in the States by the four main networks is still pretty dire – all those gleaming teeth and perfect breasts (drool) and not that much international coverage. CNN is not bad but nowhere near as good as it thinks it is.

It’s interesting that a lot of Yanks have started watching BBC America as they like its objectivity and quirky style and a lot of the movers and shakers are more than happy to give it exclusives. Allegedly, it’s one of the fastest growing cable programmes in the States. The downside is their non-news output – they have a fantastic catalogue of comedy, drama and documentaries and they flood the schedule with effing Graham Norton and Gordon Ramsey. Definitely a missed opportunity.

But, as a global broadcaster the Beeb still takes some beating

Over here they play 'BBC WORLD NEWS - AMERICA' on the NEWS 24 channel early am, do they not put that on their channel in the states?

Lord Large

Keeping the faith
Aug 6, 2008
Out on the floor
And they advertise their own shows every five minutes. Even the Children in Need this year was full of adverts for Dr Who Christmas special etc disguised as an exclusive sneak preview.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Over here they play 'BBC WORLD NEWS - AMERICA' on the NEWS 24 channel early am, do they not put that on their channel in the states?

You get BBC World News in the morning and the BBC America bulletin in the evening

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The BBC is also notorious for over paying it's support staff too, researchers, crew etc all earn far more than they'd get at a third party producer.

That's not true. They are, however, awash with people relatively speaking... so their fairly low rates of pay are offset by easier shifts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here