Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adrain Chiles new face of ITV football coverage

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
It's not the presenters who are necessarily the issue on ITV - though Steve Rider is tedious.

It's the format. I don't mind half-time analysis, even from Andy Townsend, but on ITV you get about 45 seconds in between the excessive (and sometimes badly-timed) advertisement breaks, and that's your lot.

Chiles is a good signing for them, and I hope he doesn't become a cliché-driven berk on the back of going to ITV, but they still need to sort themselves out quite a lot more to match the BBC.

Exactly right.

Des Lynam also appeared at the time a good signing by ITV but he couldn't cope with their appalling format.

ITV just seem incapable of doing football to any kind of acceptable standard.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
f*** up by the BBC all because for some reason they wanted Evans for the One Show on a Friday. Very strange.
Can't see how Chiles is going to present GMTV and the mediocre coverage of football on ITV though, what happens when he has to be in London for GMTV but Milan for Champions league on same day?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Ryder has been badly treated by ITV and I hope he returns to his spiritual home of the BBC soon.

Chiles, Townsend and Earle will be a great team for the WC and beyond for ITV with Matt Smith backing him up on the smaller games.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
and then be back to present early morning GMTV the next day? Can't see that lasting

why not? Thousands of people have jobs that means occasionally they have to put themselves out with travel meaning very little sleep on the odd night. And they do it for a lot less than £1m per year.

beardosh

Insert witty comment here
Dec 14, 2009
Ryder has been badly treated by ITV and I hope he returns to his spiritual home of the BBC soon.

Chiles, Townsend and Earle will be a great team for the WC and beyond for ITV with Matt Smith backing him up on the smaller games.

Townsend and Earle - part of a great team? Are you serious? :facepalm: I find the ITV coverage of any football match poor at best and the world cup games even worse. Usian Bolt would be impressed with the speed ITV can get to an advert break so soon after the final whistle.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Townsend and Earle - part of a great team? Are you serious? :facepalm: I find the ITV coverage of any football match poor at best and the world cup games even worse. Usian Bolt would be impressed with the speed ITV can get to an advert break so soon after the final whistle.

I'm convinced crodonilson is on a perpetual wind-up, dribbling all over the Premiership, lauding the FA, waxing lyrical about the mediocrity ITV serves up and so on.

At least for his sake I hope it's a wind-up.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Get Jamie Redknapp in for the world cup on Itv, and team him up with Paul Merson for the laughs, and put them with Adrian Chiles.
Dream team.:love:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm not sure I want to look at Chiles in HD though.
Might just stick to ITV's abysmal SD picture.

beardosh

Insert witty comment here
Dec 14, 2009
What about Paul Merson, Ian Wright, Rodney Marsh and Ron Atkinson all together? Now that I would watch albiet for completely different reasons!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
well anything is an improvement, but it doesnt address the underlying problem that you cant take the opinions of their nobody pundits seriously. i know people like knock Shear, Hansen et all on BBC, but at least they won stuff and played for top teams, rather than the likes of Wimbledon and Chelsea (when they where shit). the commentators also get a hardon for the big four, and will often contradict themselves about who good/bad a player is within 10 minutes.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
No. He don't speak proppa.

To me he's one of the best pundits out there, seems to know what he's talking about. Prefer him to townsend and earle by a long distance, and the moaning and droaning of Hansen and Lawro.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
spoken like a man trying to justify the waste of money for HD to himself...

Mmm, not really.
The Masters coverage was worth the subscription fee alone. And you really can't appreciate just how bad the picture is for football on ITV till you flick over to their HD channel. Thats an ESSENTIAL World Cup upgrade in my book.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Mmm, not really.
The Masters coverage was worth the subscription fee alone. And you really can't appreciate just how bad the picture is for football on ITV till you flick over to their HD channel. Thats an ESSENTIAL World Cup upgrade in my book.

don't bother using all that on me - I'm not your wife:p

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
don't bother using all that on me - I'm not your wife:p

Its official. Women are OBLIVIOUS to HD.
The number of times I've walked in and she's watching a film on Sky Movies standard definition because "301 is easier to remember"

:facepalm:

She also doesn't see the point of Surround Sound. :tantrum:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here