Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Addicts have to give up or lose benefits'

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Everything is Black and White isn't it ?. To tar all addicts as Low life is staggering. Maybe a lot of these people have had horrendous life events that you could not comprehend. Maybe a junkie Woman was repeatedly raped by her Father when she was a young girl. Maybe thats why she tries to block out the memories and pain. Have you ever thought to question why they are what they are ?. For a highly intelligent Woman you have genuinely shocked and surprised me.

To be fair to BAG she sees the end result and it's very easy to sit in your comfy chair and have sympathy, rather different when it's in your face and threatening violence. I doubt that many NHS staff feel too benevolent towards junkies.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
They are paid to treat ALL people who need treatment without making judgement. I think its the low life thing that shocked me the most. Yes some no doubt are low life but some have probably had tragic upbringings and the drugs is the only way to block out the pain.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
They are paid to treat ALL people who need treatment without making judgement. I think its the low life thing that shocked me the most. Yes some no doubt are low life but some have probably had tragic upbringings and the drugs is the only way to block out the pain.

Tell you what, why not spend a few evenings at your local Casualty department, perhaps you'll be happy to 'help' a nurse when they get attacked. The number of attacks on NHS staff is rising annually, I suppose it's just your regular nothingbettertodowithmytime psychos who do this.

It's all to easy to sit back and criticise when it's not you that's dealing with it, I'm just bloody glad I don't have to.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I dealt with violence from addicts on a daily basis for almost 8 years and while I certainly don't think they deserve to be treated softly, enabling doesn't rid them of their addiction but treating them with a bit of empathy and most importantly finding out what is going to solve the problem, (thus making society more pleasant in the long term). People get upset when they feel they are misunderstood or not listened to and to be frank, if nurses have the attitude BAG seems to adopt, ie believing they are low lifes, with addicts they are likely to get upset. Treat them like human beings and you will be surprised how far you can get.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm with Meade's Ball and Nibble on this one.

[limp wristed liberal, man-bag carrier that I am - just though I'd save The Spanish, etc a bit of typing]

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
According to the 3 part TV program, my drugs war, the UN claim that you need to prevent around 60% to 70% of drug imports to have an impact at street level. We currently stop 1% of Heroin from entering the country.

The profits are so huge, even the death penalty would do little to stop it.
The criminals are so rich they can buy police officers, customs officials etc and our entire system is being corrupted by the almost limitless money they can throw around.

Prohibition has failed and we are not protecting our kids by pursuing this path any longer. Most adicts that die, will do so because the drug they use is either cut with a dangerous chemical, or it is much stronger than the think it to be and they overdose.

Drugs and prostitution must be moved into the light and legalised. The potential revenue from licences for the manufacture and processing by drugs companies, tax and VAT plus thousands of new jobs, would provide more than enough legal cash to boost the number of rehab places available, deaths would be dramaticly reduced as the goods would be of a known strength and quality and we can then begin to manage this blight on our society instead of thinking we just need to be a bit harder on them and they will all go away.

Top post.

I'd say that the political party that promises to do something about the number of drug addicts instead of uttering mealy-mouthed platitudes about the "war on drugs" would get my vote - I think it's a massive issue that's hardly talked about but tackling drugs would lead to a reduction in crime and free up a massive amount of government spending.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Top post.

I'd say that the political party that promises to do something about the number of drug addicts instead of uttering mealy-mouthed platitudes about the "war on drugs" would get my vote - I think it's a massive issue that's hardly talked about but tackling drugs would lead to a reduction in crime and free up a massive amount of government spending.

Well I have to say that we'd be better off legalising drugs as at least there would be a measure of control. It's worth mentioning that Seagrams (who have sponsored the Odd Grand National) started life as bootleggers during the American Prohibition. Maybe we'll get sports event sponsored by 'Mr Big Suppliers PLC' in the future.

Joking apart taxing it rather than spending tax payers money trying to prevent it's distribution has something going for it I think. It might create more addicts but who can say until it's been tried ? The fact that the current situation clearly doesn't does say that it's time to rethink the issue.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Joking apart taxing it rather than spending tax payers money trying to prevent it's distribution has something going for it I think. It might create more addicts but who can say until it's been tried ? The fact that the current situation clearly doesn't does say that it's time to rethink the issue.

Heroin was criminalised in 1956 - at the time there were about 50 addicts. Today there are close to 300,000. I'm not saying that that increase is solely down to the criminalisation of the drug - but clearly, making heroin illegal has clearly not helped.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I have the highest regard for BAG and her profession. All I do is fill forms in so I guess it is really though for her so no offense mean't. I was surprised at her comments but I guess if I did it day in and day out I would feel differently as you say.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here