Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adams DENIES we're in a relegation battle

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
If I hadn't forked out hundreds of pounds to sit through the TRIPE being served up at Withdean I would probably be LAUGHING.

How often do teams who are lower mid-table get DRAGGED in to the relegation zone almost always because they are not as motivated for the fight as the teams at the bottom until it is too late.

Adams needs to realise that, with Christmas fast approaching, we are the firth worst team in this division. The league table does not LIE. We have also already played, and struggled, in games against other RUBBISH teams.

Im not saying we will go down. I don't think we will. But to dismiss our position is stupid.

And to those people saying we are not in a relegation scrap because of the time of year, does that also mean Chelsea, Man Utd etc are not in a title race?

Wake up and small the crap Withdean coffee...

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
I seem to remember Micky's first season as our manager back in '99 at this stage of the season we was in about the same poor position we are now.....he told us to keep the faith while he found out what our best team was and we went on a run and finished 11th......the second season we won league 2.............will history repeat itself or has Micky lost what he had back then?
Lets get the rest of this year and all the xmas and new year games out the way and then i think we'll know if were in a relagation battle or not....not half way through the season yet.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
What's with the 'let's wait until march before we acknowledge there's a problem'?

The titanic wasn't sinking for a couple of hours. People refused to get in lifeboats believing it unnecessary. The titanic was too good to go down...

If we can't talk about relegation now because we're "too far away from the end of the season" we can't talk about promotion either and so Mickey shouldn't be talking about the play off zone.

We are in a relegation fight. Right now. However, the good news is that there's plenty of the season to go, and if we step up and win this relegation battle now, and quickly and convincingly, the prize is the chance to possibly make a late season push for play offs. But we can't make it to the play offs until we win this fight, and how many fights can you win without acknowledging you're in?

Yes, there is just barely over half a season to go. But name me 10 teams in the last 20 years that have been as low as us, or lower, and still managed to get promoted (or make the play offs).

I've heard maybe one or two teams names thrown around that fit those criteria, but they are the exception, not the rule. Like the fact that in 15+ years of the premiership, the team that was bottom at christmas always (bar one) end up relegated. They were all in a position, mathmatically, to win a spot in europe, but almost all of them went down.

Mathmatically we can still make the play offs. Mathmatically we could win automatic promotion (I think). But that doesn't mean anything. Mathmatic possibilities are the last recourse of the desperate fan.
Why are you complaining? You made a post a few days ago along the lines of 2nd being 'first loser' and that there was no difference between finishing 7th and 19th. So surely you're just as happy now as you would be if we were 7th? (You too Uncle Spielberg)

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Why are you complaining? You made a post a few days ago along the lines of 2nd being 'first loser' and that there was no difference between finishing 7th and 19th. So surely you're just as happy now as you would be if we were 7th? (You too Uncle Spielberg)

Finishing 7th. The season isn't over yet. All the while the race is still being run, finishing positions are up for grabs. Whether you're 7th or 19th half way through the race, you know you have to improve if you want to win. If the last three places in the race lead to you being relegated, you also need to be aware that you're close to falling into those places, and that your first aim is to ensure there's at least three people behind you, then you can concentrate on pushing on for the winning spots.

I don't think it's contradictory to want the manager (and fans) to acknowledge we are in a relegation fight now, and to believe that there's effectively little difference between finishing 7th and finishing 19th. Though, to be honest, that post was more of a question than a statement of my belief, it was a thought that I was interested in exploring).

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Finishing 7th. The season isn't over yet. All the while the race is still being run, finishing positions are up for grabs. Whether you're 7th or 19th half way through the race, you know you have to improve if you want to win. If the last three places in the race lead to you being relegated, you also need to be aware that you're close to falling into those places, and that your first aim is to ensure there's at least three people behind you, then you can concentrate on pushing on for the winning spots.

I don't think it's contradictory to want the manager (and fans) to acknowledge we are in a relegation fight now, and to believe that there's effectively little difference between finishing 7th and finishing 19th. Though, to be honest, that post was more of a question than a statement of my belief, it was a thought that I was interested in exploring).
Well I have to say I think it was a pretty shit point. If you finish 19th then the odds are you've had a poor season and have been looking over your shoulder the whole time. If you finish 7th by definition you've had a better season and probably play-off dreams that only died a few weeks before the end of the season.

But you're right that the manager should acknowledge that CURRENTLY we are in the relegation mixer - as we're certainly not in the play-off picture. Whilst it's too early to be seriously worried I do think saying "we're fifth from bottom but it's not a problem" is on a par with saying "we're too good to go down." I bet the club one place below us believes they're in a relegation fight.

As an extension to that it's also getting to the stage where it's no longer worth saying that we're 'only' 14 points off the play-offs (a figure that's growing all the time). Currently saying that is on a par with saying we're 'only' two promotions away from the Premiership. Of course we COULD make up the difference, bit that would entail the team getting better results than they've managed so far this season. IMO that's not going to happen if the club blame all the late equalisers and sloppy goals that have cost us points on 'bad luck'.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Well I have to say I think it was a pretty shit point. If you finish 19th then the odds are you've had a poor season and have been looking over your shoulder the whole time. If you finish 7th by definition you've had a better season and probably play-off dreams that only died a few weeks before the end of the season.

True, but I think the point or thought that was behind the post was that essentially the result is the same: may have had a good season, but we didn't make the play offs, may have had a bad season, didn't get relegated. will be in the same division the following year, you don't go up, you don't go down, and often your finishing place the season before has little bearing on the current season (except in cases of established status quo - see man u, chelsea, arsenal, liverpool) so it's not like finishing 19th automatically means you're going to struggle the following year, and as we're finding out, finishing 7th doesn't mean you're going to waltz it the following year..

People often argue that 3 points is 3 points, whether you played well and deserved it, or had to scrap and 'win ugly'. The result is the same, the game is different. 7th or 19th, result is the same, game is different.

I'm not even sure now why that thought came up (I think it had something to do with if you believe 7th = 19th, if all mickey does this year is keep us up, how would you then compare him to wilkins) Though, to be honest, I agree with you about chasing play offs being a more fun experience than battling for survival.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
What is he? Thick? Jesus H Corbett, if anyone thinks we are not in trouble then wake up and smell the coffee.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Those who dont think Brighton are in a relegation battle really need to get real, they are in real danger of going down.

The arrogant views of the manager and some of the players wont help matters at all.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Those who dont think Brighton are in a relegation battle really need to get real, they are in real danger of going down.

The arrogant views of the manager and some of the players wont help matters at all.

like I said he has to be otherwise it will only serve to lower morale even more, he has to get belief in the players and he wont do that by shouting "we're screwed and fighting against relegation". It may well go against him & the players but if they dont remain upbeat then we may aswell give in now.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
like I said he has to be otherwise it will only serve to lower morale even more, he has to get belief in the players and he wont do that by shouting "we're screwed and fighting against relegation". It may well go against him & the players but if they dont remain upbeat then we may aswell give in now.

Maybe.

However I think that the sooner the player and manager accept this season is about staying up the better, it may help them concentrate on what needs to be done.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Maybe.

However I think that the sooner the player and manager accept this season is about staying up the better, it may help them concentrate on what needs to be done.

yeah true, I think deep down he knows it anyway and so do the players...if not then they are morons but you can see why they refuse to believe it currently as there is a long way to go.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here