Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adams DENIES we're in a relegation battle

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
So he thinks we are not in a relegation battle, he thinks we are playing well, the players think they are playing well but are not fit.

Yet you look at the league table and we have got 19 points from 18 games.

Yes we can turn it around but it needs the players and manager to admit they are rubbish and then do something about it. NO excuses about height, no excuses about the weather, no excuses about the match officials and no excuses about luck.

Sort the tactics and players and we will get out this mess

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
Anyone hear Harry Redknapp on MoTD over the weekend saying that Spurs are in a relegation scrap.
2 places above the relegation zone, 15pts from 15 games, 10pts from a European place.
What does he know though, no pedigree whatsoever?

Spurs are not in a relegation scrap, they have had a poor start to the season (15 games in is not even half way!!!). If they get to 10 games to ga and are 5 points adrift then fine.

I admit that we could get relegated this season, but so could every other team in this division, maybe Leicester should be told they are in a relegation scrap? It is the same as saying the top 10 are in the promotion race? Again, every team is in the promotion race until they cannot mathematically get promoted.

Simple thing is we are in a 'relegation battle' until we are mathematically safe, and we are in a 'promotion race' until we cannot mathematically go up.

I will give Micky Adams until this time next year to see a difference and to see how the team is progressing. Until then I will get depressed/overjoyed in the cold and rain at Withdean and around the country, and support the team, not go out of my way to slag them off. I just wish that some of the people on here and at the ground who seem to want Dean Wilkins in charge would GET OVER IT, he isn't, Micky Adams is and just for a change get behind the team.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Depends whether the 'it' in question, was Bobby Zamora, I suppose.

Oh f*** off with this. To say he never 'had it' is f***ing STUPID.

Why?

Michel Kuipers has been one of our BEST players over the last 8 years. Who got him in?
Danny Cullip - a ROCK in Div 3 and Div 2.
Gary Hart - MA TRANSFORMED him from an 8 goal a season striker into a SUPERB right midfielder capable of plonking the ball onto Zamora's head.
Watson - again, from nowhere, Adams got him in, over 100 games for the club, god knows how many assists and goals from set pieces.
Carpenter - at his peak, a FANTASTIC football who relished in the mud under Adams. Again, an Adams signing.
Morgan - BRILLIANT reader of the game. Quality.
Brooker - signed by Adams, helped us to promotion, developed into a Championship quality player.
Jones - again a big figure in two promotions

It was NOT just Zamora that got us up. We played some bloody good football, with the likes of Watson, Brooker, Hart and Carpenter SUPPLYING him. Oh, and that won us a LEAGUE.

To say he's gone to pieces now is probably a fair argument. To say he's never had it is a pathetic opinion from someone with such an obvious anti-Adams agenda. The man can do right now, so might as well take the opportunity to re-write history and pretend he was never up to it. :rolleyes:

Just a few examples of players ADAMS got in who ADAMS

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
The lesser players did good jobs too WW, Steele and Crosby spring to mind!

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford

Why?

Michel Kuipers has been one of our BEST players over the last 8 years. Who got him in?
Gary Hart - MA TRANSFORMED him from an 8 goal a season striker into a SUPERB right midfielder capable of plonking the ball onto Zamora's head.
Watson - again, from nowhere, Adams got him in, over 100 games for the club, god knows how many assists and goals from set pieces.
Carpenter - at his peak, a FANTASTIC football who relished in the mud under Adams. Again, an Adams signing.
Brooker - signed by Adams, helped us to promotion, developed into a Championship quality player.

It was NOT just Zamora that got us up. We played some bloody good football, with the likes of Watson, Brooker, Hart and Carpenter SUPPLYING him. Oh, and that won us a LEAGUE.

To say he's gone to pieces now is probably a fair argument. To say he's never had it is a pathetic opinion from someone with such an obvious anti-Adams agenda. The man can do right now, so might as well take the opportunity to re-write history and pretend he was never up to it. :rolleyes:

yeh exactly. but hes lost it this time round, all we need to do is 'plonk' the ball on Murray's head.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
The lesser players did good jobs too WW, Steele and Crosby spring to mind!

Yeah exactly. I missed out Oatway, Rogers, even the likes of Matt Wicks!!

Criticise him for current mistakes, not PAST successes.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007

Why?

:clap::clap:

For once you are right. Adams was a great manager.

However, this season, anyone who denies the fact we are currently ooking at a relegation battle is fooling themselves. There's always one team who think they're too good to go down, and I'm worried this season there's a very real danger that could be us. Just look at our points so far, and how many we need to stay up - at nearly the halfway stage of the season we're still a long way off. I'm not saying we'll definetely bve scrapping for survival in March, but unless e get some serious points on the board we will still be around and about the relegation area come Feb/March, and I would therefore describe that as a relegation battle.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
but unless e get some serious points on the board we will still be around and about the relegation area come Feb/March, and I would therefore describe that as a relegation battle.

Surely this is the case for 16+ teams in this division? If anybody fails to get 'serious' points (as opposed to frivilous points) by Feb/March, they will by default be nearer the bottom 4. We are 14 points off 6th place, and that is a big ask to make up, so we are hardly in the thick of it either.

Just a question, if we lost our first 3 matches and were 4 points from 5th from bottom, would we be in a relegation battle or a bad position?

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
Maybe, just maybe, he's just saying this to try and install a bit of confidence in his players?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
He might have to review this strange opinion he has after the 12th of December when M.K. Dons have left with all 3 points.
Maybe.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Yeah exactly. I missed out Oatway, Rogers, even the likes of Matt Wicks!!

Criticise him for current mistakes, not PAST successes.

Good call. That was a tremendous squad that Micky assembled, so much so that when he jumped ship he left Peter Taylor a simple steering job to the second championship.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
I think people are getting too concerned with the meaning of the term 'relegation battle'. Whether or not we are in a relegation battle, the fact is we are one position and one point from the relegation zone. The situation is not particularly rosy and there is a real chance we could be sucked into a relegation battle, even if we are maybe not in one now.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
What's with the 'let's wait until march before we acknowledge there's a problem'?

The titanic wasn't sinking for a couple of hours. People refused to get in lifeboats believing it unnecessary. The titanic was too good to go down...

If we can't talk about relegation now because we're "too far away from the end of the season" we can't talk about promotion either and so Mickey shouldn't be talking about the play off zone.

We are in a relegation fight. Right now. However, the good news is that there's plenty of the season to go, and if we step up and win this relegation battle now, and quickly and convincingly, the prize is the chance to possibly make a late season push for play offs. But we can't make it to the play offs until we win this fight, and how many fights can you win without acknowledging you're in?

Yes, there is just barely over half a season to go. But name me 10 teams in the last 20 years that have been as low as us, or lower, and still managed to get promoted (or make the play offs).

I've heard maybe one or two teams names thrown around that fit those criteria, but they are the exception, not the rule. Like the fact that in 15+ years of the premiership, the team that was bottom at christmas always (bar one) end up relegated. They were all in a position, mathmatically, to win a spot in europe, but almost all of them went down.

Mathmatically we can still make the play offs. Mathmatically we could win automatic promotion (I think). But that doesn't mean anything. Mathmatic possibilities are the last recourse of the desperate fan.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here