Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adam Virgo to Norwich?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I dont agree with Silent Bob as I believe that Virgo is the best central defender that we have in that he is an old fashioned stopper, win the ball and get rid. Tunnicliffe tries to play football in the Hansen Lawrenson manner and sometimes get caught out but unfortunately Elphick does neither as well as he did 2 years ago and has gone backwards rather than progressed. Maybe the reason is losing Guy Butters to talk him through the game. I also do not believe that White and Booker are good to help him.
I think the Butters thing has become a bit of a myth - Elphick hardly played many games with him that season. For the vast majority of games it was El-Abd or Lynch alongside him. Maybe Butters had an influence on the training pitch, maybe it helped having a qualified coach that used to be a defender as well.

I would agree that Elphick has not progressed as hoped but I think some of the criticism aimed at him lately has been over the top. I still think he can progress into a Championship player, while Virgo who I would say is at a similar level to Elphick now is probably at an age where he is less likely to improve. I think Elphick has better timing with his tackles which should cover for his lack of pace. On Tunnicliffe, it was said when he came here that he was a ball playing defender - if so I haven't really seen it. He seems quite direct still, though perhaps a bit more accomplished than Virgo or Elphick.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Tunnicliffe has tried to plkay his way out of trouble a few times but unfortunately he has been caught out and had to retreat very quickly. I think that he has great potential but unfortunately potential is an over used word in describing a players ability.

I think Elphick appears to have lost the knowledge of when tpo tackle and when not to and hence has allowed players to get the wrong side of him, which has been highlighted in recent weeks.

Virgo is a more no nonsense, face the player and tackle sort of player who will do everything to stop the man going past him and is vulnerable when chasing a player hence his exposure when playing right back.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
This is the whole argument people like me are saying that he is good enough as he is the best central defender we have better than both Tunnicliffe and Elphick at the moment.

I think he will lead us out as captain at Falmer in The Championship and would not disappointed about that.

Unless he can get a good partnership going with Tunnicliffe then i dont want him in the back 4 because forme tunnicliffe is a guarenteed start

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That is where we disagree as I do not think Tunnicliffe is good enough to start every game as an automatic choice, gets caught out on the ball too much and as such I believe he should be played and then given time in the reserves to get himself together again. One day I am sure he will be the automatic choice and possibly even captain, remember he is only 19 or thereabouts, but he is not ready yet.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
That is where we disagree as I do not think Tunnicliffe is good enough to start every game as an automatic choice, gets caught out on the ball too much and as such I believe he should be played and then given time in the reserves to get himself together again. One day I am sure he will be the automatic choice and possibly even captain, remember he is only 19 or thereabouts, but he is not ready yet.

I Don't remember Tunnicliffe getting caught on the ball at all and I've been to the majority of games. ???

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It happened twice on Saturday in the west goal when he has had to scamble back to concede a corner and has happened in most games when he has tried to play his way out of the 6 yd box. Good luck to him trying and he will only get better by doing it but in the meantime could be costly if he cant regain the ball.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
the behav'our of our whole defensive line, Virgo included in being red carded so often is very disappointing. Virgo is still our best choice but I expect him to lead by example. If not, we need another defender who can. Then the question may be who goes and I nwould oprefer Elphick or Virgo simply becaue Tunnicliffe has the potential.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here