Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adam El Abd - The League One Desailly

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
I absolutely love it when a player, especially one who receives more than his fair share of critisism, gets his head down and with hard work and determination proves his doubters wrong.

Adam El abd, one of the best players in a team sitting top of league one, who'd have thought that 12 months ago! :bowdown:

Gus Poyet knew it.Offered him contract extension that sparked forster downfall. and was saying how good he was.

i guess gus knows more about football than us mere fans!!?

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
Gus Poyet knew it.Offered him contract extension that sparked forster downfall. and was saying how good he was.

i guess gus knows more about football than us mere fans!!?

Gus has forgotten more than we'll ever know

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
Once again, A-EB was SO good. Out of all the Gus 'changes'. Adams performances have been top drawer. Vital to this team.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It is a really good feeling when a player that was a total liability comes so good, says loads about our management and coaching set up.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
A total liability is somewhat unfair, in my humble opinion. He was error prone, but by no means a useless member of the team.

He went through a totally awful phase for quite a while but fair play he has come good.

Just lining up the melons for next Saturday :thumbsup:

biggles

Feb 21, 2009
i remember watching a pre season at lowly shoreham last season and adam was woefull , his 1st touch always went to an opposition player who he then went in double hard on with the ball going anywhere, it just goes to show

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
It is a really good feeling when a player that was a total liability comes so good, says loads about our management and coaching set up.

I have to disagree that he was ever a total liability, in fact he was far from it.

It was more a few fans on here moaning and complaining about him because they didn't like him for being one of the so called "Brighton rich kids" as he came through the youth system, and not due to his ability

This negativity about him spread (especially on here) and it took Gus's comments about him being the best defender at the club to make some of our blinkered fans to actually give him a second chance and to start to judge him on his performances rather than other peoples prejudices and hearsay.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
He was a total liability when we lost 7-1 at Huddersfield last season, got skinned time after time and hit a dodgy backpass to Kuipers.
Been immense this season though :clap:

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Can't think of any example where an Albion player has been turned from a complete donkey into one of the league's finest stallions in such a short space of time. Anyone?
I quietly couldn't bear El Abd under Slade. He has been exceptional under Gus, or is it Taricco who should be getting all the praise for his transformation?
Either way am really pleased for the guy and take it all back.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
What. A. Rock.

Getting better and better alongside Elphick.

Another deserved man of the match. For me, the REAL player of the month.

oh yeah, the player that Poyet said ages ago was one of our best defenders?

bit weird that seeing as poyet is only a 'great coach' and can't spot good players??

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I was never one of the people who ranted and railed against A. El Abd (not being smug - I just didn't) althuogh I admit he did have some difficult times when asked to play at left back against a fast and / or tricky right winger.
I'm just starting to feel quite good that we now actually have a manager who can see a player's qualities, and then bring them out to get him playing to the very best of his abilities. Maybe.............just maybe........Gus knows what he's doing and is turning out to be rather god at it!

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
if it was Ron Atkinson that said this I don't think it was meant as a compliment.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
This - and still not convinced. Sorry.
Genuinely curious - what is it about El Abd that doesn't convince you?

I must admit, there are plenty of people in the stands who seem to cower when he has the ball at the back and looks to pass it around. Personally I feel he's only going to get better and more assured.

But look at where he's come from. Under Adams he spent his life backing off from on-rushing forwards. There's none of that any more!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here