Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Action against LDC/Forfars.....

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
sully said:
That's because, at the end of the day, it's not in their manor.

no but the car park will be

that is what this is all about

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
Like Barnet has said in his post LDC were always going to try for a Judicial review if the Falmer decision went against them. They have been fighting this thing for so long that it was always going to be a long shot to expect them to quietly lay down their arms. The powers that be at the club were expecting this, read Dick Knights comments in the Argus today, and I would imagine had built this potential obstacle into any timetable or plan of action.

Whilst I have no doubt that there are certain leading lights on LDC who have a serious personal problem with the Albion and most importantly us supporters, this case is being seen as a pilot to see whether the Government can force through building on AONB land. All those houses that have to built round here, most of them will end up on potential AONB sites. Airport expansions as well. Friends of the Earth and all that lot were very concerned about us getting the go ahead because they saw it as a dangerous precedent that would allow more building on AONB land in other areas. I would imagine they are enthusiastically backing LDC High Court bid.

It's clear that the members of LDC know that this is a very unpopular decision they are making, hence why they refused to talk to the Argus, had journalists locked out of the meeting and escaped via fire exits to avoid the Press. The leading cabal behind this though have become so entrenched that there is no longer any possibility of compromise and know that this is the final fling of the dice. I can only compare them to the foreign SS members who carried on the battle for Berlin in WW2 even though there was no possiblilty of success. They fought on because they "wanted to set an example for future generations". I think LDC are carrying on the fight to show that they are not the kind of people who will roll over and accept defeat, and to try and persuade the Green lobby that the fight can be dragged on until the bitter end.

Do they have a chance of success? I don't know. I remember that SWEAT members were very vocal about their chances of success through a judical review, they were eventually forced to admit defeat before they even got to a prelim hearing. LDC have always been the smartest of our opponents, but then when your allies includes the Regency Society and a bloke who had to leave the inquiry early to see his mum that ain't saying much. I

don't think LDC nor the FPC have been able to accept the rejection of the first inspectors report. They genuinely thought that the fight was over that day and that they were victorious. When they realised that Prescott had over-ruled him they realised that they were facing a probable defeat. They have never recovered from that blow. I expect that the bulk of their case for a JR will revolve around the first inspectors report AGAIN. This case has been one of the longest running saga's in planning history, I cannot belive that the ODPM's legal people haven't been through this with a fine tooth comb.

I did think that LDC might try and over-turn one of the 4 applications in the knowledge that beating 1 means the others fail. Judging by their statement it would seem that they are instead attempting to prove that an alternative site exists and that therefore building on an AONB is not acceptable. Shows to me that they have learnt nothing from this entire saga if they are just going to try and rehash old evidence and use it again.

Even if they are ultimately succesful all that will happen is that Prescott will have to look again at how he reached his decision. It's pretty obvious that he's been in favour of the thing for a long old time and I sincerely doubt he will change his mind. The ODPM will simply try and find a loophole or use another piece of planning speak to justify the construction.

What REALLY pissed me off wasn't LDC trying for a judicial review, it was their pathetic one paragraph bullshit statement. "We have always wanted Brighton & Hove Albion to have a stadium". BULLSHIT you fucktards. You couldn't give two shits about us so stop trying to make out that you do. They had their chance to prove that an alternative exists and they FAILED.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Lord Bracknell said:
Although I'm not sure how standing outside a bread shop makes a great deal of difference.

I'd say that, apart from anything else, when combined with letter-writing, lobbying etc, it's a highly tele- and photogenic way of bringing this disgraceful abuse of people's own dosh to their attention.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Well I'm going to tell people to use Ravens bakery instead of Forfars if only because it's a much better bakery anyway.

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
By the way, I haven't entered a branch of Forfars in years. Ever since Melaine Cuttress wrote a letter to Scars & Stripes that set out their position against Famer. Her and her husband have always wanted to build a stadium at Waterhall. I'd like to think the fact that 3 inspectors rejected it, along with the Deputy Prime Minister as well as the local Council might have persuaded them to change their minds.

I doubt it.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Ex Shelton Seagull said:
By the way, I haven't entered a branch of Forfars in years. Ever since Melaine Cuttress wrote a letter to Scars & Stripes that set out their position against Famer. Her and her husband have always wanted to build a stadium at Waterhall. I'd like to think the fact that 3 inspectors rejected it, along with the Deputy Prime Minister as well as the local Council might have persuaded them to change their minds.

I doubt it.
That and the fact that B&HCC said Waterhall was not an option right from the very beginning.

Hadlee

Oct 27, 2003
Southwick
dave the gaffer said:
no but the car park will be

that is what this is all about

But that's not what LDC have said, in the Argus this morning they say because there are better sites available !!

haven't we just had a Public Enquiry proving that there were not any better sites available ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Without wishing to pass the buck, LDC will probably just turn round to us and stick 2 fingers up. Its those within the LDC constituency who they are obliged to listen to - after all, its THEIR money who they'll be using to plough ahead with this appeal.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Lord Bracknell said:

I'm not going to argue against a boycott (other than to suggest that it won't influence Lewes District Council), but I do suggest that people approach any action with the thought that the people who work for the firm are, quite possibly, ON OUR SIDE.

Go gently with the staff. They are only doing a job.

Agree, in the War on cutress we need surgical strikes not carpet bombing.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Personally I think the council tax payers of LDC need to be made aware of what is going on. Some smart literature/posters need to be made up. Something that pricks voters minds i.e that £200k of their money is being spent on a JR, yet certain services are being deprived of money. Certainly using the flood defences as an example would be brilliant. These could then be handed out to people on the street.

How much would a full page advert be in the local press?? I would certainly chip in.

The heat needs to be placed on them that their tax payers do not want this. Who the f*** did they consult? Maybe they should be pressured to seek a referendum from their tax payers

One final point, although they probably are, are they legally allowed to spend tax payers money on this?.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here