Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Accept the season is OVER

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Happy Seagull said:
No shit Sherlock, he's had more games. But who is the one with a job and who's the one still waiting?

And also, in our defeats we've still shown signs of good football, whereas with Mcgoo we were mostly shit win, lose or draw.

Hang on Einstein to make it easier to understand for you

Wilkins 18 games, 24 points, points per game 1.33
McGhee 37 games, 58 points, points per game 1.56

Comprende ??? :shootself

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
bhaexpress said:
Except when we won the Play Offs.
It's fair to say he was LUCKY to do that. If Swindon had taken just one more of the chances that hit the woodwork instead of going in, we'd have lost easily. If it wasn't for the fact that we finished ABOVE Swindon in the table, I'd say that playoff success was a travesty of justice.

The season we stayed up was excellent - until January, when we fell apart. It was all downhill under McGhee from that point onwards.

Da Man Clay said:
Id rather be utter shit and win than play the best football ever know to man and lose. Its points not performances that matter

We didn't win too often playing utter shit under Mcgoo.

And i'd rather us play decent football and improve with experience, rather than stay continually shit.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Ernest said:
I thought this is what Dick Tight wanted, mid table obscurity with nothing to play for.
Of course when the gates dip below 4000 he might start to think otherwise :angry: :angry: :angry:

to be fair 99% of the callers on the phone in would be happy with mid table seemly

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Simster said:
It's fair to say he was LUCKY to do that. If Swindon had taken just one more of the chances that hit the woodwork instead of going in, we'd have lost easily. If it wasn't for the fact that we finished ABOVE Swindon in the table, I'd say that playoff success was a travesty of justice.

The season we stayed up was excellent - until January, when we fell apart. It was all downhill under McGhee from that point onwards.

Except the last 6 games unbeaten that season ???

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
All I have said is accept this season mid table at best , still beat talking about the Xmas tele :D

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Uncle Spielberg said:

Two things though, Gareth:
1) Let's give Wilkins another 19 games before making a direct comparison.
2) McGhee inherited an exciting cohesive Coppell team and - all credit to him - got them promoted. Wilkins inherited a jumble sale of a team, with morale at rock-bottom. Under the circumstances, I think he's doing rather well.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Happy Seagull said:
We didn't win too often playing utter shit under Mcgoo.

And i'd rather us play decent football and improve with experience, rather than stay continually shit.

We won enough to get promoted. And then enough to stay up in the championship.

Id be happy to play either way as long as it gets the points tbh.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
turienzo's lovechild said:
wouldn't really call it "coppells team"

roberts- coppell
virgo- brought through by MCGHEE
cullip-adams
butters-hinshelwood
harding-ditto virgo
hart-horton
oatway-adams
carpenter-adams
jones-adams
iwelumo-mcghee
knight-coppell

seems to really be more mcghees team than coppells?
Mickey Adams layed the foundations and created the team spirit which gave us the momentum to climb the leagues, the others just carried that on. It was probably Adams who overhauled the youth system when he came in aswell, so you can't give McGhee the whole credit for that, what about Hinshelwood and wilkins, surely they should get some credit?

Uncle Spielberg said:

Wow :eek: Now i'm really impressed. Mcgoo had a better record of 0.23 pts per game. Woopy doo.

You're clearly forgetting Mcgoo inheireted a winning team, not the shower of shit Wilkins got. Take that into consideration when you drool over the extra 0.23 points :rolleyes:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Ernest said:
And who exactly is going to pay £24 ???

I agree totally

However for all the bile thrown at season ticket holders on here recently, we are the silly sods who in two months time are going to be asked to stump up or £500 early so the club can survive the summer months.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
That extra 0.23 points a game is worth another 10 points a season. And MM inherited a team that had last a few in a row didn't he?

Da Man Clay said:
That extra 0.23 points a game is worth another 10 points a season. And MM inherited a team that had last a few in a row didn't he?

Yeah but Wilkins didn't take over a top 6 team did he? He's had to completely rebuild the team, and yet still not far off what Mcgoo achieved with a winning and more experienced team.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
To be honest I've no idea what some people expected. Face it we're broke and have a very inexperienced team coupled with a few mature players who are or are rapidly approaching their sell by date.

Frankly all of the success of the first few years of this century have given some a false idea of where our club is in the grand scheme of things. Its been said before but I can remember the mid table obscurity of years gone by and in those days we had a stadium that actually looked like one.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Dave the Gaffer said:
I agree totally

However for all the bile thrown at season ticket holders on here recently, we are the silly sods who in two months time are going to be asked to stump up or £500 early so the club can survive the summer months.

I wonder who will be asked to plug the black hole come March or April when 1000 season ticket holders decide not to renew ???

Oct 25, 2003
Billy the Fish said:
Mickey Adams layed the foundations and created the team spirit which gave us the momentum to climb the leagues, the others just carried that on. It was probably Adams who overhauled the youth system when he came in aswell, so you can't give McGhee the whole credit for that, what about Hinshelwood and wilkins, surely they should get some credit?

oh i wasn't giving mcghee all the credit, i was just disputing the claim that it was "coppells team", as it clearly wasn't(admitadly our top scorer was signed by him). and of course hinsh and wilkins should get credit for bringing the likes of harding and virgo through, but really, if there's one thing you can give mcghee a LOT of credit for, it's the fact that he DID put a lot of trust in youth

hinshelwood
virgo
harding
elphick
robinson
mcphee
hammond
cox

are all players who were given debuts/given a proper chance by mcghee(there would be others)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Dave the Gaffer said:
I agree totally

You do, of course, have the choice NOT to renew but I suspect most STHs will be too loyal for their own good. Which in some ways is a shame really because recent events have certainly proved that these people are being taken for granted by those in charge at the club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here