Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Absolute rubbish today

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Hard to say how he'll fit in after just one appearance but I think today you could tell that he hasn't played first team football for a while, not really at fault for goal but not great either. When CMS came on Ulloa played more of a playmaker role, put a few good balls through to CMS. Hopefully they can both start next saturday
I hope so, its difficult to tell listening to the commentary, but the CMS&Ulloa combination did seem to give us a lift. Upson just needs some game time by the sounds of things.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
past or present?

Both.
How many times have we been Division one (pre premiership) champions? how many times have we won the league & FA cup?
Wednesday have been English champions 4 times, have won the cups 4 times, this is without the the're lower league successes which more than equal ours, we have only ever had lower league success.
Whilst we now have a good following they have always have the crowds we now enjoy.

Cut me in half and i will be blue and white, but not deluded as you seem to think we even come close to them.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Just back from the game and haven't seem the highlights(?) on telly yet but have two particular issues about our performance today:

1. Our woeful defending.

2. A couple of our flair players showed a disappointing lack of grit. OK they look great in possession and going forward which is mainly what they are paid for but today went missing when trying to get possession. Sadly Spanish Dave (who I generally like as a player) bottled out of three challenges and on one occasion appeared to do his 'shot by a sniper routine' following a powder puff tackle on him. Orlandi was guilty of a couple more half hearted tackles. For me that shows a lack of fight and immediately gives a lift to the opposition if they know you are happy to let them win the ball. Other teams already know they can put us off our game if they get physical but there were times when it was men against boys. OK it didn't help to go down to 10 men but thats when you hope to see your team stand up and be counted.

No point blaming the Ref for us losing today although he was awful and seemed to let Sheff Weds play animal rules while we tried to do the football but we got penalised for petty stuff. However it was us that rightly got the red card for Barnes' reckless challenge which sadly looked to be the old rush of blood Ashley Barnes. Yet the Ref (and his assistant) totally missed a cynical and blatant bit of afters on El Abd that might well have got the Weds player a red card.

Irrespective of the Refs performance our defending was woeful. OK their first goal was a tad lucky because Lita managed to accidentally head in his own poor first touch. However it was a good cross to pick him out as whoever was marking him - I thought it was El Abd but I see some are saying it was Upson?

Their second goal was shocking, there seemed to be several green & black shirts around our near post plus PIG who could have blocked the cross (wouldn't call it a 'shot') but it still found the net. Their third goal looked to result from a complete lack of marking on our part.

The Albion rallied second half at 2-0 and our goal was well worked. We looked threatening while CMS and Ulloa were on the pitch together but just as the guy next to me said 'we're gonna get something out of this game', we let in another soft goal. After that we were chasing the game.

The most disappointing thing is that we managed to make a poor Sheff Weds side look ok (they took their chances) because we were so bad ourselves.

The only thing that cheered me up was the fighting spirit shown by Charlie, shame he wasn't on the pitch.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Both.
How many times have we been Division one (pre premiership) champions? how many times have we won the league & FA cup?
Wednesday have been English champions 4 times, have won the cups 4 times, this is without the the're lower league successes which more than equal ours, we have only ever had lower league success.
Whilst we now have a good following they have always have the crowds we now enjoy.

Cut me in half and i will be blue and white, but not deluded as you seem to think we even come close to them.

This.

Lets focus on the long-term and lets just enjoy what is undoubtadly the second best period in our history.

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
Yes our performance was woeful, but the performance of today's so called referee was by far the biggest joke seen so far this season. Definitely had some money on today's match.

On par with the joker we had for Burnley last season

I agree, he was shockingly bad.

The ref was a bit fat and was poor, but for both sides. Our players have become a bunch of fannies who dive too much, feign injury too much and moan too much when decisions don't go their way. It doesn't help get the ref on your side.

He certainly favoured Wednesday. The tackle on Calderon should have been a straight red; it was awful. And what exactly did Ulloa do to earn a yellow card, other than put pressure on the defender who conceded a throw in? Isn't that what a good striker does?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Lita was lucky with his goal as the ball left his foot and then bobbled up and bounced off him straight into the net

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I think Bozza once posted that if we all had to rank clubs in terms of size the results would be similar. There is no exact science but if you follow the game you have an idea of what the ranking should look like.

Only the most one-eyed Albion fans would put us above Wednesday. The rest of the country would rightly laugh.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
I've seen photos of the ref and can't believe how fat he is. I thought referees had to pass some sort of fitness test. He also looked like he really enjoyed pulling out the red card for Barnes just like he did last season when he sent off Reyes at Blackpool.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I've seen photos of the ref and can't believe how fat he is. I thought referees had to pass some sort of fitness test. He also looked like he really enjoyed pulling out the red card for Barnes just like he did last season when he sent off Reyes at Blackpool.

He did, it got stuck in his pocket and he nearly tore his shirt in his excitement.

As soon as we saw the little fat man prancing about we just knew he wanted to be the centre of attention.

No way is Sheffield a scum city. Have you looked around it? There aren't many better cities North of London.

Well as we come from a City South of London I think it is safe to say that when comparing cities - Brighton to Sheffield - there is only one winner. And in that respect to call Sheffield a scum city is doing it a favour.

In respect of footballing abilities I would say the league never lies - plus we have a bigger home support and they have a bigger away support.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
In respect of footballing abilities I would say the league never lies

Lets just wait until the end of the season before we get too over confident (remember predictions for yesterday).

I don't think they will finish above us, but only 7 points in it and we've a tough run coming up.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
You sound like a total idiot

At least Charlie Oatway had the balls to stand up for the Albion by telling the Wednesday dugout the challenge by Pugh on Calde was a red card offence and could have broken his leg.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here