Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Abortion Law

Should the maximum termination stage be reduced?

• Yes

Votes: 35 51.5%
  • No

Votes: 29 42.6%
  • I still can't form my own opinion, even on something important

Votes: 4 5.9%

• Total voters

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Talk of reducing the maximum length for termination from 24 weeks. I have to say its something that's never involved me so I never really thought too much about it but I can't believe people are allowed to have an abortion at a stage when babies that are born could survive.

I've always felt people have the right to decide but it should never be at such a stage when the child is pretty much fully formed.

Whats the NSC opinion?

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
It is a very difficult subject to discuss, firstly due to the emotional nature for those that have been involved and secondly because it will always draw comment from people with very strong opionions.

One of the stand out factors for me is that the review has been called for because it is apparently more likely that a child born at 24 weeks is more likely to survive now die to medical advances. According to some medical professionals, the Tories are misrepresenting the facts and the chance of survival has not changed since 1994.

Either way I think current abortion laws are right and the limits set are reasonable.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
I think the argument is when you begin reducing it, where do you end?

I personally think it should be kept as-is, and I think it's opportunistic of the Tories to attach this amendment to the existing votes on the embyro research.

Bars Mar

Registered Drug User
Jan 4, 2008
In Bed With My Doner
Parents Should Be Allowed To Terminate Their Children Right Up To Adulthood.

If The Kid Turns Out To Be A Wrong 'Un, A Burden On Their Parents And A Ne'er-D-Well Then Let Them Be Humanely Put Down.

Bars Mar

Registered Drug User
Jan 4, 2008
In Bed With My Doner

I personally think it should be kept as-is, and I think it's opportunistic of the Tories to attach this amendment to the existing votes on the embyro research.

Twat. You Can't Keep Blaming The Tories For Everything. This Is A Free Vote And The Whole Purpose Of The Embryo Act Is Because Advances In Science Have Changed Things So Much That The Current Law Needs Re-looking At. It's Perfectly Reasonable That Abortion Is Also Reviewed.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God

While it may have been a conservative MP that laid the amendment, this isn't a party political issue and rightly so. There will be members on both sides that will argue for and against.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Twat. You Can't Keep Blaming The Tories For Everything. This Is A Free Vote And The Whole Purpose Of The Embryo Act Is Because Advances In Science Have Changed Things So Much That The Current Law Needs Re-looking At. It's Perfectly Reasonable That Abortion Is Also Reviewed.

You are such a frustrated, angry little Tory. You should run for leadership. we could use another orgasm-free harridon in No 10.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Personally I am generally anti-abortion, so I guess a reduction is a reasonable idea. However, as I am male, and it never has, and is never likely to affect me personally, I am not sure my opinion counts for much really.
:shrug:

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia

In a mature society that shouldn't be the case. I you accept that abortion should be allowed up to some time limit then there will always be a justifiable debate as to what the correct limit should be set at.
I think having an open and reasonable debate weakens the case of the religious objections.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
In a mature society that shouldn't be the case. I you accept that abortion should be allowed up to some time limit then there will always be a justifiable debate as to what the correct limit should be set at.
I think having an open and reasonable debate weakens the case of the religious objections.

What the f*** has religion got to do with it??

Scientists not politicians or religions dhould decide

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
Personally I am generally anti-abortion, so I guess a reduction is a reasonable idea. However, as I am male, and it never has, and is never likely to affect me personally, I am not sure my opinion counts for much really.
:shrug:

I am generally anti-abortion also but why does that mean a reduction is reasonable? Surely whether your pro or anti-abortion has more to do with the act itself rather than the time constraints under which it is performed?

Bars Mar

Registered Drug User
Jan 4, 2008
In Bed With My Doner
You are a frustrated old witch though.

If I'm A Frustrated Witch It's Because You Can't Buy A Decent Broomstick Nowadays. Apparently Some Prat Of A Cleaner Called Nibnob Keeps Buying Them All To Shove Up His Arse Whilst He Types At His Computer. Wouldn't Mind So Much If You Actually Tried Sweeping Things Up With Them.

No Wonder You're Unemployed And Homeless.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
What the f*** has religion got to do with it??

Scientists not politicians or religions dhould decide

Surely everybody is entitled to their point of view? Religion comes into it when they argue that a foetus becomes a human life at x number of weeks and therefore a termination beyond that is murder.

I think most people would say that scientific fact, moral beliefs and religious beliefs all shape their opinion on abortion.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003

I know it is a free vote but a TORY tabled the amendment. If they want to discuss it fine, but why not ONCE/IF they are in power?

I knew a insecure little troll like you would jump on such a comment, I'm not tory you claim but you bash everyone who criticises them.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I am generally anti-abortion also but why does that mean a reduction is reasonable? Surely whether your pro or anti-abortion has more to do with the act itself rather than the time constraints under which it is performed?

Maybe "reasonable" was the wrong choice of word. I meant that by reducing the maximum time for a termination the result would presumably be less abortions, ergo being anti-abortion, that is a good thing.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
If I'm A Frustrated Witch It's Because You Can't Buy A Decent Broomstick Nowadays. Apparently Some Prat Of A Cleaner Called Nibnob Keeps Buying Them All To Shove Up His Arse Whilst He Types At His Computer. Wouldn't Mind So Much If You Actually Tried Sweeping Things Up With Them.

No Wonder You're Unemployed And Homeless.

Not un-employed. Not homeless. Don't shove broomsticks up my arris. Yet again you fail on all counts you sexless hag.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here