Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aaron Ramsey (Arsenal) broken leg

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
There are FAR more serious injuries in football than Rugby. And they say Rugby is the Man's game.

Haven't read the rest of this thread so I expect someone has already corrected you, but that is absolute BOLLOCKS.

Hope Ramsey pulls through.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Teams go in harder on arsenal, it's the way to beat them.

By harder, I don't mean recklessly, just a bit more FIRM.

All these incidents are unfortunate, but I still believe stem from the mentality of 'roughing up' arsenal.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Now I follow the arsenal (the argument of supporting two teams can be ignored) .

The tackle wasn't great but not BAD at all. Feel awful for shawcross as this must really be playing with his head and of course terrible for Ramsey.

It was just a freak incident, about 4 things going wrong at the same time. The speed of the player(Ramsey), shawcrosses point of impact, the speed of impact and where Ramseys foot was when it was made(all ready in the turf at an angle)

I don't believe wenger was in any way saying shawcross MEANT to do anything but get the ball, but that IN GENERAL teams do go in a bit harder on arsenal As it is commenly seen that they 'don't like a battle' and 'will struggle at places like Stoke and bolton' which has often been true.

But again this was an accident. Hopefully not as bad as eduardos as his was a full dislocation of the foot, but obviously looking at a calender year I would think.

Good luck to Ramsey, and I hope this doesn't destroy shawcross' season as he deserves his England place.

Yep, I agree with all of that except the teams go harder on arsenal.

Using Spurs as an example...

teams know, like they do with arsenal if you go hard on them they wont fancy it. Its not just Arsenal these teams go hard in on.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The idea of not showing the violence at football games isn't about protecting the audience, though. It's about not wanting drunk idiots at the next game thinking "Oooh... if I start trouble, I could get on TV and big it up in front of my mates".

Yes, because some of us on here would Shaw be cross if people made name-based puns...

If the ref didn't act, perhaps the FA would have felt pressure to act, and would have given a worse punishment than the 3 game ban he'll get.

When I saw it on match of the day, I didn't notice the challenge. It just looked like a coming together. I think some people are being harsh on the challenge because of the what a horrendous injury resulted from it.

Despite this incident there will still be fans and commentators questioning referees' decisions when ruling certain challenges as fouls because "this is a man's game".

The problem for the ref yesterday was he would of been slated for not sending him off and wil be for sending him off

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Teams go in harder on arsenal, it's the way to beat them.

By harder, I don't mean recklessly, just a bit more FIRM.

All these incidents are unfortunate, but I still believe stem from the mentality of 'roughing up' arsenal.

Arsenal might play some nice stuff but its not like they have some magical element to their game.

I got the impression that they were told to compete more yesterday and in the pictures I have seen Ramsey looked like he had jumped in with both feet in the air and then he pulled back.

Maybe its the other way round. Arsenal are not coached properly on making tackles. That would account for why they have suffered lately.

Perhaps Arsen Whineger should make his team all wear full leg armour rather than expect everyone else to treat them differently.

And anyone who remembers arsenal when Peter Storey played for them will
know what they used to dish out

Public Pervert

Rakehell
Feb 19, 2010
My observations on this:

Having suffered a very similar leg-break playing football my heart goes out to Aaron and I hope he fully recovers. It's a horrendous thing to go through. I feel for Shawcross too as it certainly didn't look intentional or malicious and he's obviously very upset.

Arsene is a good man who has a genuine bond with and care for his players and so can be excused for saying things which may seem a bit over the top to the rest of us shortly after seeing something like this happen. Anyone who calls him a wanker or the like would do well to remember his support for BHA during our darkest days.

To suggest that worse injuries happen in football compared to rugby is one of the most stupid things I've ever read anywhere on here, and that's saying something.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
That's the thing with sending offs, it's a difficult one for the ref.

Two footed lunges are now straight reds as they 'could cause
serious injury' so technicaly if a ackle HAS caused a
bad injury then the ref perhaps has the right to show a red.

But then it wasn't a HORRIFIC tackle and alot of it was down to bad luck. I think the ref did the safe option in sending him off.

1 it removes the Player from the scene. Best for all.

2 it means the fa can remove the red if it was just an error(they can't if a yellow is given)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
1 it removes the Player from the scene. Best for all.

2 it means the fa can remove the red if it was just an error(they can't if a yellow is given)

yes, its made sence. unless theres a rule for the ref to enforce a substitution, he has little other choice. i expect the red to be withdrawn as it wasnt a lunge or studs in.

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
I though Glenn Whelan did very well supporting Ramsey shortly after the incident. Especially when others like experienced cambell are acting crazy.

_47388123_ramseynew466.jpg

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
not seen the replay but did his leg initially break *before* shawcross made contact? heard that in the pub earlier and if this is the case then is there grounds for an appeal against the red card? as when I watched the match live the ref appeared to send him off after he'd seen Ramseys break and sent him off just for that reason...not the tackle!

Kenneth Wattle

Aug 31, 2007
Arsene Wenger can't win, it seems.

Terrible disciplinary record in the early 2000s, commentators/press couldn't get enough of "that was the 1000th red card under Arsene Wenger" and how dirty Vieira/Keown/etc were. BUT won trophies...

Now there is bearly a red card, disciplinary record vastly improved (won the fair play league a few years running from memory), and they are accused of not liking a physical battle and not being hard enough. Not won anything mind...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here