Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aaron Ramsey (Arsenal) broken leg

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
I must admit that Arsenal seem to be on the receiving end of these "50-50" tackles. 3 horror injuries in 5 seasons. Their game is quick and it catches teams out. How many times have we heard the only way to stop arsenal is to rough them up. This is the consequence of that attitude and it has no place in football.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I must admit that Arsenal seem to be on the receiving end of these "50-50" tackles. 3 horror injuries in 5 seasons. Their game is quick and it catches teams out. How many times have we heard the only way to stop arsenal is to rough them up. This is the consequence of that attitude and it has no place in football.

Not sure what the 3rd one is you refer to, but I really didn't see either Eduardo or Ramseys injury as being as a result of "being roughed up", they were both freak accidents, where horrific injuries occured as a result of pretty bog-standard challenges. They weren't exactly intentional Keane-on-Haaland type "do him" challenges.

raymondbriggs

Dec 21, 2008
on a snowman plough

f*** sake.
it was a 50/50 ball clearly,if anything the stoke player was better placed in regard to gameplay to be thought in possesion,he after all was last involved in active play with it, the Arsenal man was chasing into it.either could have been injured and to suggest it is "anti arsenal"is a f***ing joke.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
f*** sake.
it was a 50/50 ball clearly,if anything the stoke player was better placed in regard to gameplay to be thought in possesion,he after all was last involved in active play with it, the Arsenal man was chasing into it.either could have been injured and to suggest it is "anti arsenal"is a f***ing joke.

Agreed, Sergei, no offence to you but you sound like one of those whinging arsenal fans 'ohhh they tackle us when we play namby pamby football':mad:

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Just found a clip on YouTube and watched it over and over, pausing at different places, and it does look like Ramsey was going in high. But then, as you say, he appears to kick the ball away before being clattered by Shawcross.

Took a really crappy screengrab, and cropped it where the action was. Can't really see how the players around correlate to the other images. The white streak to the right of Shawcross's front foot (ending near the ref's head) is the ball, moving after being kicked by Ramsey. I think...

ramseytackle.jpg

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
Agreed, Sergei, no offence to you but you sound like one of those whinging arsenal fans 'ohhh they tackle us when we play namby pamby football':mad:

I like Arsenal yes. They play the best football in the coutry by a mile. I make no apologies for that. Do you honestly feel there is nothing wrong with the overly physical approach to the English game?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I like Arsenal yes. They play the best football in the coutry by a mile. I make no apologies for that. Do you honestly feel there is nothing wrong with the overly physical approach to the English game?

Nope, I HONESTLY don't. infact I like the fact its far more physical than leagues like LaLiga where teams just piss themselves at the thought of tackling.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Just watched the tackle on MotD, don't think there was any intent from Shawcross other than to play the ball...compared to tackles where a player goes flying in with two feet off the ground and makes contact with the player half way up his shins...that was tame and more unlucky than anything else, but it still looked a very nasty injury and clearly upset the player who caused it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
...Do you honestly feel there is nothing wrong with the physical approach to the English game?

corrected. Thats what we play. if you prefer without go watch Spanish (cant defend for toffe) game or Italian (90 min chess game with a ball).

seen it on MotD and you will see a dozen similar challenges every week on that program, some might not even get a card. freak accident, 50/50 ball, Ramsey's foot is locked to the floor and slight awkward angle to the incoming challenge. id' wonder if he would have twisted ankle if there was no chalange.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
anyone who thinks there was intent, including Wenger, is a twat.

The bloke (and the rest of the players) were truly devasted. Nobody wants to see that happen to a fellow pro.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
I wanted to watch the Arsenal game tonight, but ended up seeing Ramsey's kicked shin nightmare instead.

(not sure who comes up with these, but as distasteful as that is, i've got to admit that's quite a good one)

Last edited:

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Sadly,a poor accident,Will he play again? Hope so.Will he be as good again?Ask Eduardo.

From a personal angle,I had my leg broken by some animal whilst playing for West Hove against Three Bridges Reserves in 1967 which was intended ,he told my team mates,as a joke,and was so bad that in modern times he would have been sued for assault,the ball being forty yards away when my legs were taken from under me.Then I had my shin broken in three places by a Patcham Athletic player in 1969 in a total accident that finished my footballing forever,and left him as distraught as Shawcross.

Some things are worse than others.I will never forgive the Three Bridges incident,and always follow their results in the hope that they will be thrashed,and hope that the club goes tits up.The Patcham player? I never blamed him,and wished both him and his club well.

Three Bridges is somewhat too close to Croydon,what?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here