Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aaron McLean

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I know, I know, the football season is over, and so begins the official silly season, where we all proclaim to have "a source" that has given us the heads up on a transfer before it even happens. Well, time for me to kick this off ....

A friend of mine does have numerous connections within the game, and does from time to time get word on something, which he passes on to me. Not everything he hears happens, but that is simply because things do change in life, someone intending to make a particular move, may change their mind right up to the point of signing, but what he tells me is true at the time, and has often played out exactly as he's said.

Anyway, what I've heard today is that Aaron McLean expects to be signing for Brighton this summer.

This would fit in with Gus believing that CMS is still a work in progress, as perhaps that work was to have McLean and CMS up front together. That bit is my guess, and not part of the information I was told, but does seem quite logical.

What would be the general feeling if that was to be the case? Pleased with the move? Is that the player that will give CMS the best chance of succeeding? Or would we still be looking for someone else as well?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
We've been linked with McLean before, I'm sure I heard the same rumour last year.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
this is really strange as I have just been told the very same thing by an empolyee of Brighton who was told that contact had been made. Well there you go, maybe there is something in it this time round

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Both last year AND in January I beleive. Maybe your 'source' reads NSC?

Think he'd be OK. Not better than what we got not worse. Think rather than good we need one very very good striker to play with the good Barnes and CMS.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I'd be quite happy as long as he doesn't cost a lot.

This is based entirely on the one time I've seen him play, the 0-0 at the Amex. He didn't score but was a handful all game and absolutely THUNDERED the ball off of the crossbar twice.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
We've been linked with McLean before, I'm sure I heard the same rumour last year.

Maybe so, maybe we were trying to get CMS and McLean a year ago, and that could be why Gus considers CMS "work in progress", until he gets them both. All I know is what I've heard, and that is that McLean himself no expects to be signing for us this summer. I certainly didn't hear a rumour that strong last summer.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Think he ticks the boxes for what we need upfront, from what I've seen of him. Good on the ball, good shot on him and strong as an OX.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Looking at Wiki, he has scored 8 goals in 62 appearances for Hull. Not that prolific at this level.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Definitely a realistic shout. Difficult to say how effective he'd be in our side though and if we'd change to two up front

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
CMS will be pleased, they know each other's game very well. Could be a very astute signing.

Thanks for passing the info on.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Good signing - renewing his partnership with CMS is probably worth a few goals for the feelgood factor alone. He has a year left on his contract and hasn't been a massive success at Hull so cost maybe a conservative £500K to more likely £750K? Better bet than Vokes as a partner for Macca IMO and although he lacks height we can remedy that to an extent by recruiting the big central midfielder who likes to get ahead of the ball that we have all spoken about. The days when we played long balls up to Murray to hold or to lay-off have gone and quick high crosses are not really in our play-set . What we would need would be a big centre back who attacks the ball in the opponents' box (like Tommy Elphick used to do quite successfully at League 1 level) ). We have been missing that from Greer/Dunk/elAbd - none of whom really look like knocking in a regulation 5 or 6 goals a season from set-pieces.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here