Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aaron Connolly - joining Hull permanently

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
I’m in a chat with a couple of Boro fans and it’s safe to say they aren’t impressed at all. Think he’s close to outstaying his welcome them by the sounds of it, the loan move hasn’t worked out at all really, has it?

[tweet]1514993271042367489[/tweet]

Not impressed? Can’t think why.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Every time I look when he starts he ends up getting subbed.. Are there stats to show how many times he was subbed

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Every time I look when he starts he ends up getting subbed.. Are there stats to show how many times he was subbed

In fairness, that's the fate of many strikers who are somewhat better regarded than our Irish prodigy.

Losing? Change the striker.

Drawing? Change the striker.

Winning and need fresh legs. Change the striker.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
He hardly had a touch then a good ball was played into him in a dangerous position and he slipped on his arse. Then he was hooked.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He’s not going to make it is he? I have avoided all the slagging off for his off field activities but it seems he reached his peak against Spurs on the field :down:

We need MUCH better next season, I hope he’s not brought back into the squad

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
He’s not going to make it is he? I have avoided all the slagging off for his off field activities but it seems he reached his peak against Spurs on the field :down:

We need MUCH better next season, I hope he’s not brought back into the squad

But that's the whole point.

Most people are nowhere near the bullying that Swansman's hysterics accuses them of. It's unfortunate that his first big game went tremendously well for him, with the benefit of hindsight. You have two ways to go from there. Knuckle down and aim to get even better in the following games or believe the hype, become Billy Big Bollocks, stop trying and up the drinking and womanising.

Most people on here are merely pointing out he took option 2, which is incredibly frustrating when he actually IS a naturally talented lad. You don't take a good Spurs side to bits and contribute to a massive win over Everton a game or two later, or have that U23 record without being good at football. But to maintain and extend it takes WORK and it takes humility.

When you read up about most of the greats they got where they were by being first into training and last out. Ronaldo, Beckham as superstars but how ordinary do you think players like Henderson, Milner, Trippier or Kante would be without putting in really hard yards?

That's what's unfortunate about the flouncing rant a couple of days ago. People aren't bullying him, they're pointing out that the massive salary comes with responsibility.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
He will be

Potter rates him

Doesn't rate him enough to not let him go out on loan to a team a division lower, at a time when we only have two fit senior strikers, and introduce an 18 year old to his bench role with zero premier League experience...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But that's the whole point.

Most people are nowhere near the bullying that Swansman's hysterics accuses them of. It's unfortunate that his first big game went tremendously well for him, with the benefit of hindsight. You have two ways to go from there. Knuckle down and aim to get even better in the following games or believe the hype, become Billy Big Bollocks, stop trying and up the drinking and womanising.

Most people on here are merely pointing out he took option 2, which is incredibly frustrating when he actually IS a naturally talented lad. You don't take a good Spurs side to bits and contribute to a massive win over Everton a game or two later, or have that U23 record without being good at football. But to maintain and extend it takes WORK and it takes humility.

When you read up about most of the greats they got where they were by being first into training and last out. Ronaldo, Beckham as superstars but how ordinary do you think players like Henderson, Milner, Trippier or Kante would be without putting in really hard yards?

That's what's unfortunate about the flouncing rant a couple of days ago. People aren't bullying him, they're pointing out that the massive salary comes with responsibility.
Shame he played today I was really hoping Ferguson would bag a couple against Spurs tomorrow.

Lineker pronouncing him the next big thing, a sure fire hit, on national TV would do wonders for Ferguson.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
He will be

Potter rates him

Doubt it but at the time he was in the squad who else was there? Welbeck was more injury prone, Locadia couldn’t be arsed, Andone was shipped out, Ali J was not rated. Zequiri wasn’t and possibly will never be PL quality. So just Maupay and as [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] says Connolly does have ability.

Clearly Potter no longer rates him though, he wouldn’t be at Boro if he did

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
Doubt it but at the time he was in the squad who else was there? Welbeck was more injury prone, Locadia couldn’t be arsed, Andone was shipped out, Ali J was not rated. Zequiri wasn’t and possibly will never be PL quality. So just Maupay and as [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] says Connolly does have ability.

I hope your right Icy. Honestly I do

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

There is an element of truth to this.

We had absolutely LOADS of attacking options in the summer, but most were not up to scratch.

I'm well recorded on the Ali J thread as saying he wasn't good enough for the Premier League and I think that showed over two different coaches. He just needs too much time and space and seemed to have the strength of a wet tissue. Great technique though.

100% with you on Locadia.

Andone was a great player before the injury and when the red mist didn't descend but how often was that? I assume GP weighed up his post injury form against his attitude and came up with "get rid".

Tau was always a back up to the back ups.

But then we brought in Sima and loaned straight out, Mitoma who couldn't play here to start with. And even getting in Undav in January will have to wait until this summer.

What we don't know is if there were targets for playing our academy players, Did TB (or Dan Ashworth) insist on Connolly being part of the squad because even if the end game is selling him to MK Dongs for £750,000 that's three quarters of a mill pure balance sheet profit?

I'll give GP his due, he didn't seem remotely interested in starting AC at any point. Which just makes the standard "I'm happy with our attacking options" comments even more yes-man like and frustrating.

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
There is an element of truth to this.

We had absolutely LOADS of attacking options in the summer, but most were not up to scratch.

I'm well recorded on the Ali J thread as saying he wasn't good enough for the Premier League and I think that showed over two different coaches. He just needs too much time and space and seemed to have the strength of a wet tissue. Great technique though.

100% with you on Locadia.

Andone was a great player before the injury and when the red mist didn't descend but how often was that? I assume GP weighed up his post injury form against his attitude and came up with "get rid".

Tau was always a back up to the back ups.

But then we brought in Sima and loaned straight out, Mitoma who couldn't play here to start with. And even getting in Undav in January will have to wait until this summer.

What we don't know is if there were targets for playing our academy players, Did TB (or Dan Ashworth) insist on Connolly being part of the squad because even if the end game is selling him to MK Dongs for £750,000 that's three quarters of a mill pure balance sheet profit?

I'll give GP his due, he didn't seem remotely interested in starting AC at any point. Which just makes the standard "I'm happy with our attacking options" comments even more yes-man like and frustrating.

I think you are spot on.

Maybe there were targets for playing our academy players. This is why he was often in the squad but rarely played. It also explains why Zeqiri and Khadra were loaned out instead of him

I just hope,for his sake and ours, Ferguson's career is better managed. He is a big unit and we could have a special player on our hands

Last edited:

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Sending him on loan to a promotion chasing Championship side suggests Potter doesn't rate him? Wow! - that's quite a leap of the 2+2=5 variety.

If Potter didn't rate him he'd have been loaned to the likes of Rochdale, Walsall or Carlisle (just for examples). Actually, that would have been a better option IMHO - somewhere he could re-caapture his goal-scoring mojo, which the former PL2 Player of the Season has clearly lost at the moment, and which he clearly isn't doing at 'Boro.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Sending him on loan to a promotion chasing Championship side suggests Potter doesn't rate him? Wow! - that's quite a leap of the 2+2=5 variety.

If Potter didn't rate him he'd have been loaned to the likes of Rochdale, Walsall or Carlisle (just for examples). Actually, that would have been a better option IMHO - somewhere he could re-caapture his goal-scoring mojo, which the former PL2 Player of the Season has clearly lost at the moment, and which he clearly isn't doing at 'Boro.

Fair enough but seeing he has done **** all at Boro would suggest to me that Potter MIGHT have given up on him hopefully?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here