Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

a well needed dent to the gus ego........

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I do. Gus will be Premiership manager.

Just don't know when or with whom.
I tend to agree that he probably will be, but it's not really for the man himself to be talking like that, IMO. You have to wonder whether, say, Roberto Martinez, Paul Lambert or Brendan Rogers were ever heard talking like that, all from a much stronger position.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
In terms of specifics. I think we look a stronger defensive unit with el abd in the side. Millwall showed that and I would rest Dunk for now and play a back 4 of reyes, greer, el abd and mattock.

Agree with this. El Abd & Greer should be in the centre - they complement each other better.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

also dunk and bridders will have been scrapped from anyones wish list.

Did you actually WATCH the game?

Bridcutt was excellent, and his standing will have gone UP, off the back of it. Neither OG if that's what you're basing it on, was REMOTELY his fault.

Dunk also had a reasonable game, although his comedy OG was clearly all his own work.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I was totally gutted by the performance. The only comfort I can take is that we now have better players on loan to address the problems.

Perhaps Gus will have seen that we do not have the players to play total possession tippy tappy football against good opposition. Trying to keep possession passing aimlessly without making chances, just means that we don't hurt anyone, and when we inevitably give the ball away at some point we are straight back under the cosh. Especially as it is often in dangerous areas of the pitch.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
To be fair, I don't see much wrong with what he's said in this instance.

to be fair i do...at the mo we are work in progress...and if work in progress means getting to FA Cup 5th round (I've been used to exiting far earlier than this) and a competitive championship side then its all good to me.

And to mention bridcutt...fek the first own goal the ball just hit him...2nd one at least he was back there defending..and again it just hit him...re buckley when none came on there were 2 players going at him/same as buckley...so lets not say this sub was a bad decision ..its not as though buckley was looking on the top of his game

Ye we aren't as good as som peeps make out...but we are a whole lot better than others say

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I tend to agree that he probably will be, but it's not really for the man himself to be talking like that, IMO. You have to wonder whether, say, Roberto Martinez, Paul Lambert or Brendan Rogers were ever heard talking like that, all from a much stronger position.

he gets asked the question...whats he gonna say..nope i hav no ambition i dont want to be a premiership manager?..i'll let u fill in the blanks

Crofty

Sep 27, 2011
You scored four
They scored three
But Gus Poyet is not happy
'coz you fu*ked up royally
At Anfield yesterday
Piss poor brighton
On your way

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
It was a cathartic learning experience for us all yesterday:

- for Gus. Despite what he is saying about having stated we werent good enough to go up, the manner of the individual errors and also his tactical naivety yesterday will have hurt him

- for the fans. I think we all got a bit carried away about how we play. Dont get me wrong, this has been a fantastic season and when is the last time we played 4 competitive matches against top division opposition in the same season? and had an average crowd of 20k? It's got to be 1980ish when both happened.

- The players. I get the feeling that some of them were a bit starstruck yesterday (noone maybe). I dont want self-flagellation but some of them should be more down about the day than they seem to be.

However the pundits were quite right to point out our one paced approach and that is where the players have to learn how to react in 1 on 1 situations. When to inject pace etc

In terms of specifics. I think we look a stronger defensive unit with el abd in the side. Millwall showed that and I would rest Dunk for now and play a back 4 of reyes, greer, el abd and mattock.

Brezovan has had a good spell but against Millwall and yesterday he looked very flappy. Can he recover? yes he can in my view - I dont think we have an option given that Gonzalez hasnt even been on the bench yet.

The holding midfield two have had a good run but the return on Sparrow and the two new Man C players will I think mean a rest for either/both of them.

If Buckley sub was tactical then it was a poor decision given the number of players he was tying up. But I think it is more likely to be the hamstring.

Barnes and Vokes against Millwall looked to be developing a good understanding. But is CMS really a supersub or does he deserve a place? I think unless we are going to put balls behind defenders (and Vicente is the man to do it) then he looks unlikely to regain a starting place.

I'm not trying to be defeatist and thisis allbeing written with 20/20 hindsight. I am so pleased at how we are performing generally BUT if we want to progress (and Bloom and Poyet certainly do) then yesterday is a pointer to what changes are likely to happen.

Although some of your points might be valid and who knows Poyet might agree with some of them but it is a wee bit pompous, isnt it ?

I would suspect the coaching staff at the club have an in-depth view of how they needed to perform yesterday and worked on it thoroughly.

An early goal and some unscheduled calamitous mistakes would of left that preparation in tatters.

It sometimes happens in football.

I quite like having a particular style of play which although will get shot at by the pundits when it doesn't succeed, it offers a quality that many cannot replicate.

It has given a top half position in our first year back in the Championship and who knows where we might be in May.

With an upgrading of personnel it offers a real chance of top grade football., there will be failings but in the longer term it offers a real chance of success that might even land us in the Premiership.

We got ironed out for sure, but there has to patience with our style, at times it will fail and we will looked laboured, but in my view it offers the best chance of genuine progression.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Although some of your points might be valid and who knows Poyet might agree with some of them but it is a wee bit pompous, isnt it ?

I would suspect the coaching staff at the club have an in-depth view of how they needed to perform yesterday and worked on it thoroughly.

An early goal and some unscheduled calamitous mistakes would of left that preparation in tatters.

It sometimes happens in football.

I quite like having a particular style of play which although will get shot at by the pundits when it doesn't succeed, it offers a quality that many cannot replicate.

It has given a top half position in our first year back in the Championship and who knows where we might be in May.

With an upgrading of personnel it offers a real chance of top grade football., there will be failings but in the longer term it offers a real chance of success that might even land us in the Premiership.

We got ironed out for sure, but there has to patience with our style, at times it will fail and we will looked laboured, but in my view it offers the best chance of genuine progression.

I agree, and ROSM made some very good points. As for brunswick, an egotist will never admit they're wrong whereas Poyet has held his hands up when he's made mistakes. He has also put them right again as has been shown by our progression up the league tables. He will make the Premiership at some time in his career.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

The difference between Gus and the others is that he played at the top level (as has Lambert admittedly), is good for a quote, was high profile as a player and therefore good for copy.

He is being asked directly and is offering an honest though diplomatic answer. I'd be more concerned if he said 'no comment'. The fact that lazy hacks will twist those quotes to suit their own story is another matter.

Does Gus care? Dunno. Doubt it.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
However the pundits were quite right to point out our one paced approach and that is where the players have to learn how to react in 1 on 1 situations. When to inject pace etc

This is very much the case, and you can see it in games against the better Championship sides, let alone top end Premiership sides. the old "Italian way" of slowly building an attack from the back would work because it looks slow and going nowhere, and then SUDDENLY pace is injected, someone makes a run and a through ball sets them away, of a fast interchange of passing suddenly opens some space up and the attack takes on a bigger threat. We do precious little of that "upping the pace" when in possession. It only really happens with our wingers, but even then they always have to beat a player for space, we very rarely play a ball in behind the full back for our wingers to outstrip the defender for pace.

While our possession football is lovely to watch, we need to get better at doing it faster, with more purpose. Stroke it around by all means, but we need to be able to inject pace and purpose with it. Slow, slow, FAST, strike!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Liverpool paid us respect by playing a virtual full strenght team.

Doing a number on Buckley.

BOMBARDING the 18 yeard box with QUALITY deliveries and ZIPPING the ball around with PACE. Good thing is that maybe these new City players can make us generally a bit FASTER.

We were short in all departments and frankly beaten by a much better team. Which happens.

New keeper a priority. Brez and Capers days are numbered and would be surprised to see either here next year.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
While our possession football is lovely to watch, we need to get better at doing it faster, with more purpose. Stroke it around by all means, but we need to be able to inject pace and purpose with it. Slow, slow, FAST, strike!

I have been SAYING this ALL season! THIS!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
You scored four
They scored three
But Gus Poyet is not happy
'coz you fu*ked up royally
At Anfield yesterday
Piss poor brighton
On your way

Nice one.

Can you now do a "hilarious" ditty about conceding NINE at Anfield, Coppell and VD.

Ta

:thumbsup:

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
I thought Buckley didn't look 100% and wasn't surprised when he was swapped at 1/2 time. He did tie players up but he wasn't really doing much IMHO.

Even before their first goal I was saying "Christ, they're quick". We looked very sluggish by comparison.

I assumed taking El Abd off was a gamble to put more attacking players on given we still had a miniscule chance at 1-3. Didn't work but hey-ho.

Noone played out of position once El Abd went off but thought he and one or two others looked a bit over-awed. Can't balme Bridcutt for his two ogs, but I did think he and Navarro provided totally inadequate cover for back 4 and let Gerrard and Adam run the show.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC

It wasnt meant to sound pompous - it is only my opinion. Please don't get me wrong - I am very happy with how the season has gone and where we are. But with any club (and with a very ambitious chairman and manager) there will be the questions as to what is needed to move onto the next level. Whether its Crawley looking at league 1 or Charlton looking at the Championship.

We had a great start to the season and then a sticky couple of months when we needed to think through how to improve our style from last year to this, We've done that and are far more penetrative than we were last Oct/Nov for example when teams started to suss us out. the signings of Reyes, Mattock, the two Man C ones, Vokes etc all outline how Gus is looking to evolve the team and build on the strength he has.

If we have ambitions to move to the next level then it is a natural progression and we need to evolve.

We can and will do it - I'm sure. But there will be changes on the way to get there.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
This is very much the case, and you can see it in games against the better Championship sides, let alone top end Premiership sides. the old "Italian way" of slowly building an attack from the back would work because it looks slow and going nowhere, and then SUDDENLY pace is injected, someone makes a run and a through ball sets them away, of a fast interchange of passing suddenly opens some space up and the attack takes on a bigger threat. We do precious little of that "upping the pace" when in possession. It only really happens with our wingers, but even then they always have to beat a player for space, we very rarely play a ball in behind the full back for our wingers to outstrip the defender for pace.

With an upgrading of players then this style of football will improve and ultimately can deliver genuine success.

If we had gone to Anfield with a different team and style and given it 'a real go' then we were likely to lose anyway, but maybe have offered the fans a battling display which would have been accepted by most.

Thats fine, but the pundits would of just said that we were outclassed and then we could all go home and continue the season in mediocrity.

This is the conundrum, Poyet has a unique belief and style that is nearly exclusive to latin/foreign coaches, its in his DNA and to some extent it is likely to be contrary our own instinctive desire to watch a full bloodied battle in every game, it wont happen.

The 'pay off' for me is a real chance of success, but it might be a bumpy ride.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here